[CLOSED due to Firmware Changes] Setting Up a Guest Network Instructions

If there is a step-by-step "How To" for creating a Guest Network, please post the URL below. I've spent some time looking and do not see something to guide the beginner or first-time administrator a set of instructions for Guesting. (not to be confused with ghosting, I won't do that to you)

3 Likes

Thank you @vgaetera -- I had previously read that and I do not understand what

# Configure network
uci -q delete network.guest_dev
uci set network.guest_dev="device"
uci set network.guest_dev.type="bridge"
uci set network.guest_dev.name="br-guest"
uci -q delete network.guest
uci set network.guest="interface"
uci set network.guest.proto="static"
uci set network.guest.device="br-guest"
uci set network.guest.ipaddr="192.168.3.1"
uci set network.guest.netmask="255.255.255.0"
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

to do with this. Where are the instructions, such as:

open a terminal, shell out to xyz, nano,

I have netsearched for some instructions for the keywords: openwrt, guest, network, install, configure, etc., and I'm not finding it. Thanks again.

Use ssh to connect to the device.
Then run these commands.

3 Likes

I ssh'd and added the lines of text via copy & paste. Looking into LuCI, I see under Interfaces, the network labeled GUEST. How to I add a password to it? Yes, I read the lines, but am clueless as to what this means.

Providing encryption

Secure your guest network.

# Configure wireless
WIFI_PSK="GUEST_WIFI_PASSWORD"
uci set wireless.guest.encryption="psk2"
uci set wireless.guest.key="${WIFI_PSK}"
uci commit wireless
wifi reload

So, I'm guessing but the password is: `GUEST_WIFI_PASSWORD`

after adding the above, but, taking a chance, and changing GUEST_WIFI_PASSWORD, to an actual password, in that code, Interfaces shows guest network as non-functional. Clicking the radio button "Restart" does nothing. And using the code, as given on the page, makes a guest network, but using the GUEST_WIFI_PASSWORD does not allow Internet access. What did I do wrong?

Have you tried using the gui for OpenWRT called LuCI to set up this wifi interface instead of using command line?

Linus based systems expect the users to read all the instruction. Not just the exact thing you want to do right now.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/uci
But here you go, read and learn…

But you need to read C++ or similar for beginners also to understand the code build up.

Please accept this as an apology. I'm not trying to code. I have a next door neighbor and want to share my wifi with him, due to the pandemic and quarantine. Can you help me find a useful how-to on this? That is my goal, a somewhat step-by-step set of instructions. Thank you for your response.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/guestwifi/configuration_webinterface

Did you even look at the link @vgaetera gave you earlier?

I did all the code via copy and paste into the root@192.161.x.x, and the guest network is created, but connecting to it, I receive (on the phone's wifi) a message about not having 'net access. So I did pretty much all the input, but, to this inexperienced user, there are no instructions as to what to do, nor what to do if things don't work. Thank you for your response.

Hard to say if we don't see the logs of your configurations and what was entered exactly. Did you commit and reload the wifi?
Let's do some troubleshooting:

Please run the following commands (copy-paste the whole block) and paste the output here, using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export wireless; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \
ls -l  /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*/* ; head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*/*
2 Likes

Redacted due to mistakes. My apologies.

You should upgrade to the latest stable release or use an earlier page revision:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/guestwifi/guest-wlan?rev=1630296921

1 Like

OK, I will make a firmware update to 21.02.0, which the Table of Hardware shows for this device. Then, I re-input all the code sections on Guest Wi-Fi basics. Maybe it will all work that way. For now, I'm closing the sort-of incomplete post and threads. Thank you OpenWRT Community for this help.

3 Likes