Cleaning up failed opkg installs

Hello all, I recently reinstalled OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292 on my WNDR3700 V1 after an accidental brick. The router seems to be performing a lot better and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't yet set up extroot like I did on 17.XX.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I was experiencing crashed under heavy torrent load because the pendrive read/write disk I/O was affecting things. This is just a hunch however.

I'd like to re-add extroot to this new install and see how it changes things, but I mistakenly tried to install python before checking space and noticed my free space is only showing 2%. I had read online that some packages with opkg will hard fail installation but leave behind cruft so I'm wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about cleaning up a failed package install.

Adding some relevant interesting links if anyone else cares:

You can format the drive and start the whole procedure to add the extroot from scratch.

More than just a hunch, I'd say. Your router is pretty weak already and you add extra burden.

New URL: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/opkg#out_of_space

The old page is for archival purposes only and does not receive updates any more.

just noticed now the router went readonly cuz I'm out of free space.

well I'm comparing it to the performance now and there's a drastic difference. The things that have changed were a newer version of LEDE and not adding back extroot.

I think the easiest solution is to do a factory reset:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset#factory_reset

It's looking more and more clearer to me that might be the easiest option as well........too bad.

I'll do a reset tonight after taking a settings backup and report back.

actually had some free time open up and just backed up and factory reset, took 5 min and seems to have fixed the readonly problem at least. back to about 3.57 of free space too. So I'll try extroot tonight.