Clarification Regarding TP-Link Archer C20 V4

Hi,

Being a total beginner to OpenWRT, I wanted to install such software so that I can attempt to improve the bufferbloating that is apparent in my connection; I've repeatedly, much to my frustration, attempted to install it via Windows through tftpd64.

I have put the tp_recovery.bin file in the proper area, configured the router to use the 192.168.0.66 standard, and attempted to access U-boot (with success, as the power button blinked) but the .bin file does not register in tftpd64 and the installation does not occur. Consequently, I have tried to install it via Linux, but I got too confused with the instructions: specifically, what command to enter after confirming that tp_recovery.bin has been successfully retrieved

Additionally, does v.19.07.3 allow for the 5 GHz band to be enabled? I've noticed that previous posts indicate that it's disabled.

See https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c20_v4#using_tftp_method

I can't spot a command to be entered.

Hi,

Yeah, there is no indication that a command should be entered; however, based on the generic instructions to flash the file via TFTP on Linux, I have to connect it first and ping the IP address with the file. Then I set the router to bootloader so that tp_recovery gets downloaded.

Additionally, 5 GHz is still disabled as of 19.07.3?

Thanks for your help!

5GHz works out of the box in the 19.07.x versions. I think it was enabled by this commit I have no problems even with wpa3 enabled.

Hey,

May I ask how you did the installation of OpenWRT via Linux? I'm just genuinely confused with the instructions stated in the guide.

I don't know the exact process for your device as I have a similar "Archer C20i", which has the same 5GHz chip.
When I switched to openwrt, I flashed it from windows using this tftp server. On linux you should install the full dnsmasq package, and enable the tftp server there. Something like this.

I'm using the TFTP Server from Windows; how do you use this to flash the tp_recovery? Sorry for being a total noob at this. A step-by-step guide would be of much value; thanks!

I made a mistake in my previous comment, use this tftp server instead.

1. Change your PC's IP address to 192.168.0.66
  2. Start the Tftpd64 program as administrator.
  3. Set the server interface to 192.168.0.66 from the drop down menu.
  4. I used the "C:\Program Files\Tftpd64" as "Current Directory".
  5. Download the tftp recovery image, rename it, and move it to the Tftpd64 directory.
  6. From here you can continue with step 4 and 5 from the hardware page.

I did exactly that, but nothing is working. It does not register any file that is downloaded, and remains blank throughout. Any advice?

Use wireshark, and check the traffic.

What should I be looking for, specifically?

Is the router trying to communicate with the pc, and what file is it requesting.

So I should make the router go into Rescue mode and see the traffic, correct?

yes, put it in rescue mode.

Okay, so install Wireshark, open it, and then turn off the router and set it to rescue mode and see what happens? Is that the correct sequence of events?

I cannot teach you how to use Wireshark if you newer used it before. Watch some youtube tutorials to understand the basics.
I have bricked my first router, and had to solder the serial cable to the board to recover. If you are not sure with your skills don't rush the switch to openwrt.

Make sure you disable Windows Firewall while running a TFTP server.

Hi,

Thank you for giving this! This is what actually allowed for TFTP to finally process the transfer of the recovery.bin file. I didn't realize such a simple tip would be a cause for a large headache; thank you again!

1 Like

No, problem...and for clarity of future readers, you may wish to mark the post with the actual solution instead.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.