Citus NEO W1 router

Hi Guys!

Not in the compatible list ... Citus NEO W1 3g router. Anyone have any info on the chipset inside these? Is it possible to flash one of these?

Noticed the following... Is it a workable solution?

Many thanks in advance.

A reasonable starting point, but four- and five-year-old code is not a "workable solution" due to numerous, severe, well-known, actively exploited security vulnerabilities in the kernel, 802.11 protocols, and third-party applications from that era.

https://github.com/darkarnium/openwrt/commit/0245da318449e4a37f3f6ba57c5d4dfac41c6a12 shows a DTS file, so forward-porting to current OpenWrt may be straightforward.

Before you dive into that, I just noticed

Edit:

Image/Build/Profile/NeoW1=$(call BuildFirmware/Default4M/$(1),$(1),neow1,NeoW1)

suggests strongly that it only has 4 MB of flash, which is, at best, at the end of its usable lifespan.

Ahhh... OK I see it. 4mb ram=too small for 3g support and a web gui.

I am looking for a 3g router that can allow me to run a webcam based on my boat which is at a remote location with no power.

Plan is to charge a battery via solar pannel that will power this lot.

The reason this device was attractive:

1. Cheap
  2. Internal Battery
  3. 3G-> WiFi support.

Any ideas for a replacement?

If I were going after a solution, I'd probably go with a four-part approach:

• Robust, 5 V wireless router with USB (Edit: or 12 V, if you're going with SLA batteries and a 12-V solar charger)
  • Cell-phone style Li-ion, external battery pack (Looks like 10 Ah packs from reputable manufacturers are running ~US$30) With a 3/4G modem, you're probably better off with SLA batteries to get the capacity needed.
  • External 3/4G modem in USB case.
  • Whatever solar charging is sufficient to meet the power-draw needs (probably a big panel)

Last I checked, a suitable router was probably drawing 250-300 mA. 24 hours * 0.3 Ah ~ 7.5 Ah, per day, required to be available after efficiencies of the charger and batteries are taken into account. A 3/4G modem probably adds 1A to that, so you're running around 35 Ah per day, if not more.

Look at the GL.Inet devices: large memory, low price, OpenWrt already built for most of them. I think in general the Atheros chips use a little less power than MediaTek.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.