Cisco Meraki MX64/MX65 image support

Heya,
Just got MX64, I can chime in for testing. It looks like I will have to put a PCIe slot onto mine and stick a wireless card as it does not have it :joy:
Edit: or stick in USB adapter... Hmmm

Hi, no news about this development?..I have a MX64 available for experimenting.. it would be nice to play OpenWRT with this device..

Hey, I also have an MX64 for experimenting, I'd love to try and get OpenWRT working on my Meraki MX64.

Same here. MX64 that Iā€™d love to try and get OpenWrt on. A complete noob at this though.

Hi,
I joined the license-expired team here (haha), and I'm working on my cisco MX65W device.
I managed to gain the BusyBox shell using arduino.
Also, I managed to download a file using wget from an HTTP server I ran in the internal network.
It took me some time to understand that I should attach the debugger ONLY after long clicking on the reset button, and only after the led start to blink.

Right now I'm starting to compile OpenWrt with the toolchain that supplied from cisco,
If someone already has a compiled version that worked for him, please post it here as well!

Also - who did flush the device already? did it work?

Attaching the screenshots of how I bind the device:

Good day all, I'd love to help with this but I am also a complete noob. I have a MX65W available for testing

Hello,
I just got two of those MX65. I see a bootlog on wiki, is there anything pre-built ready to try?

Also, this thread and wiki is wrong. It took me literally 6 hours of doubting everything as I was unable to get UART to work. J18 is not UART. J18 is not soldered 4 pin header, just above soldered-in UART which is J5 -.-

My units are not booting at all if UART is connected before power is applied. If I connect it later, it boots, I can access Meraki shell, but there's no UDM command :frowning:

If I press reset for 10 seconds, shell shows level 2 reset, reboots and goes silent, like booted with uart connected.

[edit]
Not booting issue is somehow related to ground separation of power supply and UART. On one computer I'm able to get some better output without ground connected.

Thus maybe UDM command is missing, as I'm not able to reset as required.

[another edit]
After a lot of "fun" with disconnecting uart from pc, plugging power to meraki and quickly connecting uart back I was able to get udm command, and change SN. Now console says that I'm in manufacturing mode.

Unfortunately the trick with "s" key doesn't work for me. I see a text that magic key was sent, unfortunately instead of dropping me into initramfs, it keeps looping with those lines "Using itb config alamo"... as long as I keep pressing S. When I stop, it boots normal image.

Bootlog here: https://pastebin.com/sQpJCFtV

Thanks for taking an interest in this project. I have corrected the Wiki entry for future reference.

Hi All,

I'm new here but been following this thread for some time.
I have a MX65W and will be happy to contribute to the effort here.
If anyone wants to walk me through any process to gain more info, let me know.

Cheers

what are the serial parameters?

Check out the wiki page that has all the details https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/meraki/meraki_mx65#info

any news if i can help with anything i have two MX64

@CM65 , @riptidewave93
Any chance that Moliveira or I could be of assistance with our MX64s?
For what it's worth I asked Meraki Support for the latest GPL bundle. They gave me the sources, but not the uboot sources.

I have a TTL adapter for serial access (though I haven't tried it on the MX) and I'm considering a TSOP Flash Chip Clip set. I have two other types of devices that I'd like to flash with OpenWRT as well ... so I think the Chip Clip set may come in handy.

Thank you,
Mike

I like to ride on the backs of all the smart people that know how to do things :slight_smile:

Any progress on this? Is there a guide out there that shows you how to compile OpenWRT for new devices? Do I know how to use the search button? How can I contribute to the cause?

Hi guys has anyone made a Compatible version of OpenWRT for the MX64/MX65

There are some issues preventing full support at this stage for both the MX64 and MX65. Among these are

• Issues with installation method on the MX64 - recent fw patches over method
  • Different cpu versions used in the MX64 requiring different device tree, possibly MX65 too.
  • Traffic propagation/vlan issues primarily with the MX65 due to use of multiple switches - WIP
  • MX65 needs the DSA driver for serdes support, but DSA is not yet supported in Openwrt.
2 Likes

so basically there isn't a away to install OpenWrt yet

hi guys i recently bought a USB to ttl adapter and now i need help figuring out how to connect the MX64 via serial as theirs 8 pins and whats the baud rate

Have made an attempt at a PR if anyone wants to experiment. Aware there are still some issues on the MX65 LAN ports when attaching switches to them which I am working on, but standard access port functionality is there.

3 Likes

Hi again I'm wondering is there a compiled version of OpenWRT for the MX64 or can someone show me how to compile it my self