(Chrome)casting Across VLANs

Hi all, I've run into an interesting problem, and I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I have 2 VLANs on my network, one for my main devices and one for my IoT devices. I have a couple Google Homes and a Chromecast with Google TV, which I would like to be able to cast to. When I first open up the casting page on my device, it cannot find them, but if I connect my device first to the IoT VLAN, discover the devices on a "Cast To" page on my phone or laptop, then return to my primary net I can then cast to them as expected. I assume maybe there is some IP or MAC caching going on here but I truly have no idea what the cause of this is.

My firewall exceptions look like this, which might even be overly permissive for what I need.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Okay it turns out my solution was to I simply follow this guide, in addition to my existing steps.

Basically, install avahi-daemon, enable reflector, then make a rule allowing your zones to send traffic from and to 5353 to 224.0.0.251.

1 Like

Neat, been wanting to isolate my Chromecast devices as well. Will look into that as well, thanks.

Happy to help! I don’t think there’s a need for ports 1900 or 9000, if you decide to set this up yourself. But let me know what you find!

1 Like

Will do that!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.