I finally decided to upgrade my internet speed to 1Gbps. My ISP will provide me with a GPON ONT which I intend to set up in "bridge mode" and use a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 1GB RAM and a DFRobot Router Carrier Board as a router, a cheap unmanaged switch and a WiFi 5 capable AP.
AP: Need an affordable 802.11ac recommendation (around $35 either new or second-hand) to use with the clients listed below.
Internet link: 1Gbps w/ GPON ONT
Router: RPi CM4 1GB w/ DFRobot Router Carrier Board
Switch: some $20 dumb switch
My clients are:
- MacBook Pro 2015 15" (3x3 MIMO? 802.11ac)
- iPhone X (2x2 MIMO 802.11ac)
- Samsung S20 Plus (4x4 MIMO 802.11ax)
- PS4 Pro (10/100/1000 wired)
- Samsung SmartTV (10/100 wired)
- 3 IoT smart devices using 2.4 GHz network.
- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (10/100 wired)
- Will add in the near future a Raspberry Pi 4 as a NAS (10/100/1000 wired)