Cheap router for 600mbits/s sqm?

Yes, I am not doing this because SQM needs that scarifice, but because my current router can not shape above 80 Mbps and I always configure for the bi-directionally saturating case, as I do not want my internet to flake out under load, so with ~35 Upload that leaves around 50Mbps for the downlink. With a more powerful CPU I would try something like 100/36 (I sync at ~110/387) with cake's ingress keyword for the downlink side. My point is that I happily throw away half my downlink since even at 50 Mbps SQM makes the link much better than a non-SQM 100 Mbps link. This was just intended as an example to demonstrate that bandwidth is not the only thing that makes a link useful :wink: it was not intended to show one needs to throw away half of the bandwidth to use SQM.

Well, unless your link is so fast you can never saturate it I disagree. But as I said, I would recommend for each user/network to simply test it out. Some people have such tolerant requirements that they do not see a meaningful improvement by SQM even at ADSL speeds, so it really is a policy question each network administrator should decide on. And I agree at 600 Mbps quite a lot will be happy without SQM. I try not to give blanket recommendations for or against using traffic shaping as a function of access speed as I believe this to be really hard to asses correctly from the outside.

1000/1000 I am jealous :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, shaping a gigabit is necessary for my satisfaction. I use VOIP for small business calls and now with COVID there are the zoom meetings for my wife and jitsi or slack for me.

My audio and video is always rock solid. Others not so much. It's not that hard to saturate a gigabit fiber. Two kids each watching Netflix or youtube, and a download or upload of a large file to Dropbox or Google drive while my wife is in a 120 person dept wide zoom meeting are all routine here

1 Like

I am building a high-end device for R&D purposes and the hardware I eventually settled on was PC Engine's APU4.
https://pcengines.ch/apu2.htm
Swiss company with fantastic support and several models to chose from.
The available anodized aluminium cases are nice as well. You can also get a rack-mount enclosure (that holds two modules) though that's pricey (~$200).

I unfortunately do not have SQM performance numbers.
I push a lot of data through Wireguard and it doesn't break a sweat.
This thing almost needs a 2/5/10 Gbps uplink - it does have USB 3.0 as well so that is not impossible.

If you buy one of the new WiFi 6 modules you can (finally!) get a dual-radio in a standard mini-PCIe package. These are pretty new so I'm not sure were support is at. Last time I checked a number of months ago there was only proprietary drivers.

We have a pile of features integrated and working with the 3-module device which is one-true PCIe and then two modem slots. You can get 2 to 4 jacks on the front for routing or switching as well.