Changing settings

Hello friends, how are you?

I have Openwrt configured and operational on a tinypc, which is the main router of my small network structure in my home.

I have attached to this router, print server, VPN (openvpn), files, etc...

Today, I use stubby as dot with dsnmasq, configured with Cloudfare servers, which works perfectly. However, here at home we suffer from the problem of overly invasive advertisements...

I'm thinking about removing the stubby configuration and using an adguard home.

What do you guys say about this idea of ​​mine?

If you think it's good or at least interesting, how should I configure this? I have backup of my packages installed on the router and the configuration files too.

I think I should remove stubby and its settings and then install adguard and configure it... is this true? Should I do something else?

I am fully aware that this is not capable of blocking ads from YouTube (is it???) and Facebook (I'm sure).

What do you tell me about this?

Usually stubby is the upstream resolver for DNSmasq in that case you can just use an adblock package for DNSmasq.

In page adblocking can be done with browser extensions

2 Likes

Stubby and adblocking are complementary technologies, so you need not get rid of one to add the other. Stubby is making your requests private in the sense that they are DoT instead of plain-text DNS requests. Any of the adblock packages add a component to filter out DNS requests to a list of known hosts. So...

The lightweight way to get effective adblocking is just add adblock or adblock-fast or adblock-lean or whatever to the router and start playing with the various block lists to see which is most effective with your use case. (I've used almost all of the popular and not-so-popular adblocking tools and I'm not a fan of Pi-Hole or Adguard Home or any of the heavy weight solutions. They are functionally identical to the basic dnsmasq extensions, but have all sorts of extra baggage the ultimately never gets used.)

Alternatively, you can switch from stubby to https-dns-proxy which allows you to use DoH resolvers and the luci-app-https-dns-proxy which comes with some customizable adblocking resolvers defined and easily selectable.

You most likely should be able to manually (from CLI) configure stubby to use the adblocking resolvers too.

1 Like