Changing from Squashfs to Ext4 - Sysupgrade possible?

One of my OpenWRT routers is a APU2.

Its an x86 device.

When I did the initial install I installed a custom built squashfs build. Which I have been keeping up to date with the github releases.

I have a 16GB SSD in there, and of course the default squashfs build uses about 250megs of that 16GB.

So I am now going to switch over to the ext4 build.

Is it possible to do a simple sysupgrade via the cli and will it preserve my config files?

Or do I have to do a factory install and do a restore config via Luci?

Thanks!

I would advise doing this...I surmise you have to re-partition anyway, which requires it.

I ended up saving a backup via Luci (just in case) and trying a sysupgrade via the CLI.

Worked just fine :slightly_smiling_face:

Fully flawless, was rebooted and presented with the exact running copy of my setup prior to switching to ext4.

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

Adding another success experience. Today I tested switching from squashfs to ext4, on a virutalized openwrt 23.05. So far things are working fine without the need to reconfigure, other than package install.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.