Changing from ath10k-ct firmware to "classic" because: "must load driver with rawmode=1 to add mesh interfaces"

I'm trying to setup a mesh using a couple of Ubiquity Unifi AP AC PRO devices:
https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifiac

I've been using OneMarcFiftys "DIY WI-FI MESH with OpenWrt" YouTube video; and the excellent 802.11s article on the OpenWRT wiki.

On the wireless overview page in LuCI the mesh interface is showing as both enabled and disabled:

By connecting with SSH and running "logread", as suggested by OneMarcFifty, I found this error:

Thu Mar 21 21:58:22 2024 kern.warn kernel: [ 709.043369] ath10k_pci 0000:00:00.0: must load driver with rawmode=1 to add mesh interfaces

I think I ran into the same problem mjs and jeff had.

From those forum posts and the table of hardware page I'm getting the message that the devices I'm using must be using and an older, (early) version of the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880. - So to make this work I think I need to install the "classic" ath10k-firmware.

I'm figuring out how to do that, and documenting it here... on the LuCI System => Software page I searched for ath10k and it shows I currently have installed:

'ath10k-board-qca988x'
    - "ath10k qca988x board firmware"
'ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct'
    - "Alternative ath10k firmware for QCA988X from Candela Technologies..."
'kmod-ath10k-ct'
    - "ath10k-ct driver optimized for CT ath10k firmware"

I'm assuming the last two need to be replaced. I "Updated lists...", checked the Available tab, did a little searching, and found these two firmwares:

'ath10k-firmware-qca988x'
    - "ath10k qca988x firmware"
'ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct-full-htt'
    - "Alternative ath10k firmware for QCA988X from Candela Technologies.…"

and this driver:

'kmod-ath10k'
    - "This module adds support for wireless adapters based on…"

I went searching for info on the diferent firmwares and found chadneufeld said this:

So I removed the "-ct" firmware and driver, being sure to unckeck the "Automatically remove unused dependencies" box. Then I installed the "-ct" less counterparts. The package iw had to be replaced with iw-full for the driver to work, but that seems to have happened automatically. Rebooted. and....

Mother duck! It works! - Thank you everyone. I hope you don't mind me recording this here on the forum. My previous forum posts helped me get these devices working, and I hope maybe will help someone else too.

SOLVED!

2 Likes

Marking as SOLVED, thank you everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.