Change Wifi to default on, linkit 7688

I'm building for a devkit (linkit 7688) that doesn't have a built in ethernet port. Is it possible to change the default state of the open wifi ssid to on? I had an addon board with an ethernet port, but without one enabling the wifi from the console was difficult.

I suggest to create a files/etc/uci-defaults/99_enable_wifi in your buildroot with the following contents:

#!/bin/sh
uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=0
uci commit wireless
exit 0

This will install a firstboot script which modifies the generated wireless configuration before the networking init script is started. You can use the same place to adjust other defaults like SSID (uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid="My Own SSID") or encryption (uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=psk2; uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key="secret123")

2 Likes

Thanks.

Now to work on porting the build bits MediaTek provided for openwrt initial setup, and the python, c++, and node.js libraries to tie in the gpio functionality. Then the arduino compatibility stuff for the 7688 duo. Moving to LEDE from openwrt is going to take a bit of work, but the expanded dev base is so worth it.

https://github.com/MediaTek-Labs/linkit-smart-7688-feed is what I'm trying to make compatible with LEDE current

The linkit-smart-7688-feed has the necessary scripts to turn wifi on by default. The trick seems to be that the wifi drivers are binary, and they are not available for every kernel. I am currently trying to build for 3.18.44.