[Solved] Can't start x86 on Netbook

Can you hit 'Enter'? That's what it usually takes to bring up the prompt on x86, it seems.

"Nonblocking pool is initialized" is normally the last message during a normal boot. It is waiting for someone to log in.

You probably need to add a keyboard and/or network driver using the Image Builder. The x86 builds include several common network card drivers (but not all of them) but no keyboard. Adding kmod-usb-hid should let you either use the internal keyboard or plug in a USB keyboard and have a terminal session. WiFi also requires drivers and it is disabled by default.

Thank you for information!

Going google "LEDE Image Builder" :wink:

PS. May be somewhere has compiled "LEDE x86 MONSTER Build image"? With all services/drivers enabled?

Why a monster image?

Use the combined-ext4 image, resize it and you have room to install whatever you want and no parts of the system in a readonly squashfs.

So, i got lede-17.01.4-x86-generic-combined-ext4.img, write it to USB drive, resize ext4 partition and work with it? Image has 16Mb + 256Mb partitions. I must resize second ext4 partition?

Another question.
I want use internal wifi adapter and LAN card as local net router, and external USB WiFi dongle as WiFi client to another net (internet). Will it work on LEDE?

OK, i try it.

Keyboard did't work, LAN card did't work :frowning:
Can't configure anything....

So, i got lede-17.01.4-x86-generic-combined-ext4.img, write it to USB drive, resize ext4 partition and work with it? Image has 16Mb + 256Mb partitions. I must resize second ext4 partition?

Yes. I just tried exactly that with my notebook and that generic-combined-ext4 image.

Another question.
I want use internal wifi adapter and LAN card as local net router, and external USB WiFi dongle as WiFi client to another net (internet). Will it work on LEDE?

I don't see reasons against it.

Keyboard did’t work, LAN card did’t work

Here (on a Thinkpad T510) I just had to hit enter to get a prompt.

Maybe someone knowing your notebook can jump in and help? I only have some Thinkpads...

I use USB keyboard, internal keyboard broken. It works in GRUB loader, but did't work in lede (Enter ignored)..

But why LAN Card did't work? "Cable not connected", that's all.. :disappointed_relieved:

Hardware
MB: Samsung N308
CPU: Atom N270
North: Calistoga-GCE (i945GCE)
South: 82801GBM (ICH7-M)
LAN: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Adapter
WIFI: Qualcomm Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
WiFi USB: Netgear WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter (Chipset: Atheros AR9002U WI1 chip1: Atheros AR9271)

PS. My Routerstein ))

Can you boot the USB drive with a different system with non-USB keyboard? Bring it into the net and install the needed parts for the USB keyboard?

Or by booting such an image in a VM?

Or maybe even this is the point to have a look at the imagebuilder. That's no black magic too...

...there still are options left.

Try to boot from it on my notebook - it lost root (booting?) device..

VM.... hmmm...... :wink:

Imagebuilder = black magic, for me. Linux = "Google, how put this s**t work?! Tell me commands!" )))

https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/imagebuilder

I need to reread some hints too because I don't use it every day...

Ok... made an image with:

make image PACKAGES='kmod-ath5k kmod-ath9k-htc ath9k-htc-firmware kmod-sky2 kmod-usb-hid luci-ssl'

Yessssss... kmod-usb-hid did it. I now can use the USB keyboard. I forgot to include the network modules for my box, so I cannot test this image's LuCI now.

Marvell 88E8040 PCIe 10/100 LAN : kmod-skge

AR9271 USB b/g/n : kmod-ath9k-htc, ath9k-htc-firmware (+ dependencies)

AR5007 PCIe b/g: kmod-ath5k

If you can get the LAN working you can ssh in from another machine, configure an Internet connection through your wired LAN, and install other drivers at run time.

1 Like

@mk24 Thanks!

@ARMADA I'll update the packages in the previous message.

Thank you!

installing xubuntu on VM ))

UPD

LAN Card Did't work with it :frowning: ....

You could try kmod-sky2. One search of someone using this card in a desktop Ubuntu said that that was the driver.
Though neither one mentions the 88E8040 specifically.

kmod-sky2
This driver supports Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Marvell Yukon 2 chipset: Marvell 88E8021/88E8022/88E8035/88E8036/88E8038/88E8050/88E8052/ 88E8053/88E8055/88E8061/88E8062, SysKonnect SK-9E21D/SK-9S21 There is companion driver for the older Marvell Yukon and Genesis based adapters: skge.

1 Like

Thank you mk24, thank you jeti!
All works! :smiley:

1 Like

The image build line above is updated to sky2.

Party! :fireworks:

Cheers! ))))

now this piece of dirt will work hard! 24/7 ))))

1 Like

Nooooo...

Thanks to LEDE it no longer is dirt and sure will be happy to get some serious things to do!

Also install wpa-supplicant and hostapd.
Now WiFi (client and AP) works!

1 Like