Can't get an internet connection via ethernet

Hi, I've just started using OpenWrt a few days ago. I'm very new to this so please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something or doing something very wrong. I have an LTE router provided by my ISP which works fine but I'd like more control over my network (stock firmware sucks) and OpenWrt isn't supported on my ISP-provided router. I decided to hook up a Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenWrt to the router using an Ethernet cable. The Pi would get an internet connection from the ISP router via Ethernet and broadcast it as a wireless network. This is what I have so far (configuring using LuCi). (10.0.0.0/24 is the WAN subnet, 192.168.1.0/24 is the LAN subnet)

Interfaces:

The Pi gets the internet connection from eth0 (ISP router) (WAN) assigning itself a static IP and also assigns itself a static IP address on wlan0 (LAN) with a DHCP server (it's master on wlan0). So from what I understand, it should provide an internet connection to wlan0, from eth0, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing and I'm kind of stumped :upside_down_face:

It works just fine when I change WAN's (eth0) protocol to DHCP client instead of Static address.
(it works okay with the interfaces configured like that, there is internet access for clients connected to the OpenWrt wireless network. I could use this, but I'd like for the Pi to have a static address on the WAN ISP router subnet)

Thanks!

In general you should make wan a DHCP client so it will pull the settings from the upstream network, which if that network is properly configured those settings will work. And if the upstream network changes, you won't have to reconfigure your router.

If you static IP the wan you have to set it to match what the upstream network requires. This means the IP needs to be inside the subnet that upstream is using, but not conflict with any other device on that network. The netmask needs to match, and the gateway is the next router upstream. Also you have to configure a DNS server. If the upstream device is a local router you can usually use it for DNS. If it is a direct link to an ISP, the ISP's DNS servers will not be the same as the gateway, but something else (DHCP automates this). Or you could use a public DNS in either case.

3 Likes

Thank you! I'll stick to DHCP then.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.