Can't connect to my Router anymore

I have tried that, but it didnt seem to work. The lights were blinking at it seemed like it restarted.

@dinoasm wrote:
"The reset button is not usually meant for factory reset - it's for forced reboot."

So, is it failsafe mode or is it forced reboot?

Actually, it can be used by the firmware in various ways. I assumed that you have a stock firmware when I wrote that.

1 Like

Oh no, I already installed OpenWRT

Failsafe mode just lets you access the router with a terminal app like ssh or telnet so you can fix it.
so just putting it in failsafe mode doesn't do anything. you still need to factory reset it using the terminal

1 Like

I've read, that the Router must have a wired connection to do that. Is that true? Because I cant have one.

Yes, you need to be plugged directly into the device to fix it using failsafe mode.

1 Like

You mean, with a PC for example? Because that would be possible

yeah using a PC just to reprogram the device.
There is a link above with tons of information on Failsafe Mode. Consider reading it.

1 Like

I did read it, but it seems like i didnt understand it.

For example it says:

"On devices with a physical reset button, OpenWrt can be reset to default settings without serial or SSH access.

1. Power on the device and wait for the status led to stop flashing (or go into failsafe mode, as described above).

2. Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.

3. Release the reset button.

The device will do a hard factory reset (see below) and then reboot. This operation can be slow on some devices, so wait a few minutes before connecting again."

And you say its for failsafe mode even thought it says, that you acess it through squshFS. But @dinoasm told me, I can't use squashFS in my case, so I thought im f'd.

Well if you're able to get it into failsafe mode, you can most likely ssh into it to "mount_root" and then "firstboot" it back to factory settings.

Edit: I usually use the reset button to reboot my router while it's already running or booting it into failsafe mode, I'm not sure if it still does a factory reset by simply holding the button down.

1 Like

Im so confused.

CAN I use squashFS now or not? I have not downloaded it, nor worked with it in the past. I have never used it in combination with my Router and I was told, its too late to use it.

Can I install squashFS, connect it to my Router, reboot it in failsafe mode and fix my problem.

SquashFS is a file system. Like FAT32 or NTFS. It holds configuration files. To restore to defaults, you need to erase files from there in one way or another. You can try to do so by connecting with SSH with your router rebooted into failsafe mode.

P.S.: Oops, and here I need to correct myself. What a shame. SquashFS holds static/not changing files. Not that it matters in this thread.

1 Like

Don't worry about SquashFS if you installed an official openwrt image. That is basically just a technical term.
If you can boot into failsafe mode. You can most likely save your router.

1 Like

What does "SSH" mean exactly :sweat_smile:?

Sorry, Im not the best with the whole terminology :frowning: . And eventhough im not sounding like that, im really glad you help me @dinoasm @Broseidon <3

SSH is a protocol which provides you an access to a text terminal on other computer/device over a network. Here you can download PuTTY - a program to connect to SSH: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

1 Like

Okay, I downloaded it now. What do I do next? Or can you provde a tutorial or smth.

3 Likes

Well, I did that, but it doesn't connect. This is probably the same reason why I can't connect to it via web interface. The ip address is somehow false, eventhough i used the standard 192.168.1.1

Did you try all the ports on the device to see if any of them work? I heard some devices use a different port.

1 Like