Can't connect to internet with virtual box

Hey people,
First I must say the I am a beginner to the openWrt and to networking world in general.

I am trying to run OpenWrt on virtual box, and I can't connect to the internet or ssh into the image.
I am following this guide in the official documentation: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/virtualbox-vm

Following the tutorial, I reached the Virtual Machine Settings section, where I need to lan IP address:

uci set network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.56.2'
uci commit
reboot

But I couldn't SSH to the network.

Why do I need it:

I am trying to create a mesh network using batman. I already managed to configure batman on my a pi with OpenWrt, but to test the network I to add more nodes, and I am trying to create them virtually.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

What is the first virtualnic(vbox gui) setting bridged? what is your intended architecture...?

You did not set a gateway or dns... so you won't get internet without dhcp or those... but not being able to ssh seems to me that you might be running host only without an ip on that network on your host machine...

You don't need to reboot: /etc/init.d/network restart

You are right! Once I changed the IP of the virtual machine to match the IP of my machine I managed to SSH.
physical host ifconfig:

and then I just typed: uci set network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.57.2'

After that, the rest of the tutorial worked as well and I managed to connect online.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.