Can't access DSL modem in bridge mode

Oh, you probably could kick one of the router's switch ports out of the lan bridge (br-lan) and run an adfitional cable from thar port to lan4 on the modem. You just need to configure the modem interface to use that port. Which probably requires playing with the vlan settings of the switch ports.
Should be doable, but first try if it works when connecting something to lan4 first.

1 Like

you can always connect an additional cable between your openwrt device and the LAN4.

Just tried a pc into LAN 4 as 192.168.1.2 and still can't access the modem (even though this should definitely work and has done in the past). I clearly remember in the web interface that it would detect which Ethernet ports were being used and that information is currently completely blank. Wouldn't be surprised if its due to rubbish firmware (which cannot be updated at all).

Question, does it make a difference if the router is connected to the modem via one of the other 3 LAN ports at the same time?

1 Like

Potentially - haven't tried that but it has worked in the past (with router plugged into ports 1,2 or 3). Will give it a go when possible as that obviously requires some internet downtime.

Also I believe the BT HomeHub5A will also do ADSL and can be installed with (or bought pre-installed with) OpenWrt, making the whole look at the statistics exercise much simpler...
Then again, how bad are your stats typically? do you need to look often at those?

1 Like

Not too often. It's not a massive problem - just a nice to have as it's a pain to go to the modem, press the button to turn on it's wireless, wait, login from my phone (desktop is too far to connect to it), check it all on my phone and then turn the wireless off again. 1st world problems but if it wasn't too hard, I thought I'd just make it all a bit easier. Will probably leave it though if it looks difficult to achieve.

Okay, why not leave the modems wireless on continuously?

Yes could do I guess. Think that's probably what I'll do.

That is pretty much how I started both with the bridged BT HH5A under OpenWrt and my current bridged Zyxel vmg1312-B30A, in both cases getting secondary management channel via WiFi proved to be simpler to enable than getting the multiplexing over the switch right (and in both cases this channel allowed me to explore freely with VLANs with out having to fear to lock myself out; but that probably is less useful for people who know what they are doing). And in both cases I managed to get the wired access working as well, just with less urgency and stress :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.