Cannot ping Ethernet device

OpenWrt 18.06.1, r7258-5eb055306f
TP-Link WR1043v1

I used the configuration of an Archer C7 for a WR1043 and copied / modified the files of /etc/config. Wifi works fine as wireless bridge (both routers), but when I connect a configured IP-camera via an ethernet cable to the WR1043 the camera cannot be pinged, while it works fine with the C7.

I connected via ssh to the WR1043 too und tried to ping the camera, which is connected via ethernet-cable to the router - no reply.

Any idea what is going wrong?

There could be a ton of different reasons that this could happen, and we can only guess because there isn't enough information to even begin troubleshooting. It isn't clear if the downstream devices are getting IP addresses or if the configuration is incorrect or even more importantly incompatible with the router hardware.

I think the first major issue is that you have copied/modified the files from one router and put them into another -- several of the files in the config directory are device specific, so doing that may have messed things up. You should basically start over.

I'd start by taking a backup.

Then, upgrade your device to the v19.07.2. Keep in mind that your device appears to be 8/32, so if this doesn't work well (too little RAM), you could roll back to 18.06.8 -- but you definitely should upgrade to get the latest bug fixes and security patches. When you update, do not preserve settings.

Your router will be in the default configuration -- I would very highly recommend that you do not restore the settings at all.

You might look at the backup as a reference (high level reminder of what you want to do -- don't copy/paste the configuration blocks from any of the files -- recreate them with UCI commits or LuCI, or if you are positive you know the right syntax for the files, you can edit them directly, but do this carefully). OR, search for tutorials about what you are trying to do and/or create a thread and ask specific questions if you get stuck.

Once you have a fresh, working config, then you can look at the other issues, if they still exist.

2 Likes

Do the camera works? Maybe a bad cable? Had you tried another?

Each device has a different switch configuration, and using the wrong configuration could make the ethernet ports unusable.

1 Like

The camera works, I can see an image with an android app connected to the c7.

It is very difficult (for me) to get the bridge working. It is in a "Fritzbox net" (192.168.178.x), while the bridge master is a Netgear. So I try to avoid to start again, if possible. Cloning the files from one c7 to another worked perfect within minutes. Connecting with a mobile phone to the internet works fine, but not the ethernet ports.

The cam has a fix ip, so a dhcp problem can be excluded.

Each device has a different switch configuration, and using the wrong configuration could make the ethernet ports unusable.

Which config file is affected?

At the moment I do not want to do any updates, I bricked 2 of these very old routers (so I don't care and was not careful) and thought I bricked other 2 too. The problem is flashing via tftp, it can work or not (see reported bugs at openwrt), I had to try a few times. So please understand, that my last trial is to flash a newer firmware.

Let me know, in which config files you are interested.

The switch is configured at "/etc/config/network".

1 Like

Thanks, so I have to check this file mainly.

In the meantime I found out the following with Archer C7, I have 3 of them, 2 as a wireless bridge, which work with the camera, while the 1 C7 connected directly via ethernet cable to a netgear does not recognize the camera.

Before I used 5GHz with this C7, who doesn't recognize the camera. I turned 5GHz off and switched to 2.4GHz. This didn't change the ethernet port behavior, the camera is not found.

So maybe we try to solve my problem with the c7 first.

I checked the switches setting with the browser and found nothing. Could it be helpful for you to make screenshots?

Here are the configuration files:

C7v5-S does not work and is connected via ethernet to a Netgear. When I connect via ssh to this C7, I cannot ping the camera.

root@C7v5-S:/etc/config# cat network 

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'aaaa:bbbb:cccc::/48'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'eth0.1'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'
	option ipaddr '192.168.178.57'
	option gateway '192.168.178.1'
	option dns '192.168.178.1'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'none'

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'none'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '2 3 4 5 0t'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '1 0t'

C7v5-K is a wireless bridge and I can ping the camera connected via ethernet from anywhere

root@C7v5-K:/etc/config# cat network 

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'dddd:eeee:ffff::/48'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'eth0.1'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'
	option ipaddr '192.168.178.58'
	option stp '1'
	option dns '192.168.178.1'
	option gateway '192.168.178.1'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'none'

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'none'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '2 3 4 5 0t'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '1 0t'

config interface 'wwan'
	option proto 'none'

Iā€™d like to recommend d that you draw a diagram of your network topology, including op addressses and vlan information (if applicable)

1 Like

I do not understand what this could help.

I connect via ssh to the openwrt-router C7, an ip camera is connected locally via ethernet cable to the this openwrt router. I use the built-in shell of the openwrt router to ping the camera connected to the router via ethernet cable. Since I ping an IP address, there cannot be a dns-solution problem. So what can it help as long as I do not use network routes.

And guess what, I did nothing with the configuration. I connected via ssh to the router again and could ping the camera. In a 2nd test I pinged the camera from the pc I am writing and it worked too. Maybe a cache which is fooling me?

So please let me know, that network routes don't count when I use the shell of the router and ping to localley ethernet connected camera.

So I can go back to the old WR1043 and try again.