0 packets captured
0 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

using tun0 for the eth0 string returns:

tcpdump: tun0: No such device exists
(SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device)

using eth0.2 shows:

root@c7main:~# tcpdump -vni eth0.2 udp port 67 or udp port 68
tcpdump: listening on eth0.2, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
18:52:19.122804 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 328)
    0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from ec:08:6b:71:8f:5f, length 300, xid 0x27cfef2c, secs 15797, Flags [Broadcast]
	  Client-Ethernet-Address ec:08:6b:71:8f:5f
	  Vendor-rfc1048 Extensions
	    Magic Cookie 0x63825363
	    DHCP-Message Option 53, length 1: Discover
	    MSZ Option 57, length 2: 576
	    Parameter-Request Option 55, length 9: 
	      Subnet-Mask, Default-Gateway, Domain-Name-Server, Hostname
	      Domain-Name, BR, NTP, Classless-Static-Route
	      Option 212
	    Vendor-Class Option 60, length 12: "udhcp 1.27.2"

then I did ctrl-c and received:

26 packets captured
26 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

Ok so here's what I see. Your router is sending out a request, however not getting a response. But it is sending a request out.

Now you stated earlier that

Now you are just changing the ethernet cable from the modem in between the router and computer by that statement? Not switching coax outlets in the house or anything? But using the same coax outlet and cable wiring for the modem when trying to obtain an IP on the router and when able to obtain an IP on the computer? Are you using the same ethernet cable that is able to obtain the IP on the computer as well? Just trying to eliminate any variables to make sure it's not a drop issue or a bad ethernet cable.

The next step I would suggest trying is to temporarily disable the VPN on the router. It might be causing issues. After disabled reboot the router and cable modem.

If that still does not solve the issue, can you access the cable modem from your PC via http://192.168.100.1 and see if there is an option that allows you to perform a 'Factory Reset' of the device. For my modem when I click that option I have to reboot it manually or unplug it and plug it back in after to take effect. I suggest if your modem is like this to unplug the power cord from the modem, then unplug the ethernet cable from your PC that is connected to the modem and connect it to the router. Then plug in the cable modem's power supply back. It should do an initial boot up, then start to acquire the firmware provided by your cable company and then reboot automatically. If you could as well leave your VPN disabled and run the 'tcpdump' you have been on the router during that period and post the output.

If all that does not work, then I would recommend a 30-30-30 reset on the router. Save your configuration before hand just in case that does not resolve your issue either.

And finally, if all that does not work, we may need to take the MAC address off the computer able to obtain the IP from the modem and clone it as the WAN MAC address on the router. You could and maybe should try this step first. For information on how to achieve this please visit:

I'm going to close this post. I tried both stopping the VPN as well as doing a factory (LEDE) wipe. Nothing doing.

This Solve my problem

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.