Cannot buy R7800 what offers NSS or can do QOS on 1Gbps connection

My R7800 died and I need to replace it. My connection is 1 Gbps up/down and I ran kong's NSS OpenWRT on it which did great on bufferbloat. With regular OpenWRT without NSS the QOS worked fine but limited my speeds. I only use wired computers and some 5 GHz wireless phones at my apartment. I need USB on the device but not eSATA. At most 16 wireless devices. What hardware can I buy to run OpenWRT and get the NSS bufferbloat offloading performance the R7800 gave me?

1 Like

X86_64.

1 Like

Oh thank you. Raspberry Pi 4 can do the SQM. So I need a 5 GHz transmitter for AP I guess. I never did this before. Always used all_in_one. Is there a wiki page that shows a typical setup? What is a good AP for this specific use case?

Just get a router (or proper AP), and set it as an AP.

I have three Archer C2600s configured as APs at home. Uptime 300+ days by now, would have been longer, but they replaced the power meter in our house last year, and had to temp cut the power.

1 Like

Thank you I think I understand. Modem goes to Pi4's ethernet then Pi4 USB LAN (which I buy) goes to unmanaged switch then unmanaged switch goes to dumb AP. So neat.

1 Like

If 4 ethernet ports is enough for your use case, you don't even need the switch, the ports come with the APfied router.

1 Like

I recommend putting the built-in Pi ethernet connected to the LAN side and the WAN connected to the USB dongle. This way if the USB dongle gets disconnected or whatever you can still have LAN access to debug it.

2 Likes

Do you setup your GUEST zone on the RPi4 or do you set up the GUEST zone on the AP?

I have 4 NICs in my main router (not running OpenWRT), one of them is used by a router (running as router, not AP) for guest/IoT devices. The traffic is on a completely separated subnet, and IPs coming from this subnet isn't allowed on the LAN, only WAN access is permitted by the firewall.

The guest/IoT subnet gets double NATed, but I don't see it as a problem, since it's all low bandwidth devices - smart switches, etc.

+1; in addition the USB ethernet device does not have a functional BQL to limit the buffering, but if you use SQM to shape the wan to < 1 Gbps, you avoid overfilling the USB NIC's buffers....

I am still confused about which device to make the guestzone on.

RPi4 = Main router, physical connection to WAN device and runs SQM.
Archer 2600 = AP, only there for better WiFi

Do I make the "LAN" and "Guestzone" interfaces on the RPi4 or on the Archer? I want to have wireless SSIDs for both of the zones.

it's entirely up to you, both are fully doable ...

a separate device is obviously easier, if you have the ports, for hooking it up.
or use the 2.4Ghz wifi for guests, and 5ghz for your devices (assuming they're all 5ghz capable)

You probably want a vlan on both devices, tagged.

1 Like

you can follow the wiki/non-same-device trunked vlan guide for guest vlan... substitute router network config (switch config on main router) with this ( still need to follow firewall 'zone' and dhcp ) the rest is the same... ( also for the AP for which you are just bridging that SSID to the tagged/switch vlan there is no 'zone' on the AP usually )

config interface 'guest'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.90.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option device 'eth0.90'

I find it easier to configure all my sub-nets and provide DHCP for them on the main gateway router (RPI4 in your case). Each sub-net can be segregated on its own VLAN. At your AP, you then just need to configure each SSID to its applicable VLAN. Especially with more than one AP connected to your gateway router, it's easier this way to have all your AP's on the same guest, home lan, IOT, etc. sub-nets.

I am new to this advanced setup. I think I understand it. I want a simple setup of two SSIDs. "Main" and "Guest" and you say to setup the main and guest zones on the RPi4 (the main router) and then just configure two SSIDs on the AP.

The RPi4 does not have a switch. I think I need to use software VLANs but I am confused about them and about bridged devices. Is there a guide for people trying to setup a RPi4 main router with several zones like me who also wants to use a dumb AP that may or may not have a switch?

Maybe I am confused about what has to happen on the RPi4 (main) compared to what I need to do on the dumb AP in order to have two zones.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.