Can use a software only ethernet bridge?

Like already exposed (and tried without success) here : Passive TAP / HUB and Ethernet Bridge

I still need to get a TAP like device for monitoring and analysis all the traffic between my ISP provider BOX and my OpenWRT Home BOX...

All traffic is actually invisible by tcpdump, because the bridge act as a hardware switching bridge ! (I suppose)

How can I force a software only bridge instead of a hardware switching ?
I must precise that Marvell EspressoBin Board actually not has any switch/VLAN tagging possibilities...

I have also seeing possibilities of port mirroring, but I am not sure it is bridge like...
I also read about firewall ethernet with tee for mirroring the traffic...
Any help will be usefull...
Also any advices about another method to get my traffic analyser monitor being successfull !

Thanks in advance

Easiest way to do this is to purchase an inexpensive smart/managed Ethernet switch that has port mirroring.

Edit: I have a TP-Link TL-SG105E that supports mirroring - it’s around $25 USD on amazon and can often be found cheaper. I’m sure that similar switches from Netgear, D-Link, Linksys and others would also have port mirroring.

2 Likes

will confused with my antoher topic here; Passive TAP / HUB and Ethernet Bridge so it need to be closed (sorry for the noise)

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.