Can someone make a build for NETGEAR EX7300v2 its similar to v1

Can someone make a build for NETGEAR EX7300v2 its electrically similar to v1 but v1 images dont work

'Someone' (e.g. you) with the device on their desk will have to do the hard part of porting OpenWrt to it first, it's not done with clicking some checkboxes here and there and hitting 'build image', right now there is no image to be built.

1 Like

So there is already an image for ex7300v1 .. any guides on porting ?

Existing support for ex7300v1 may help, but isn't sufficient - you'll still have to start from zero, with the opened device, serial console attached and documenting what you have in front of you for ex7300v2 (if the two hardware revisions are similar, you might be able to take some shortcuts from there - but you'll first have to determine exactly that question). If you need guides beyond that, the answer is no (yes, you can and should learn from device support additions for similar devices in the git history, but effectively you're on your own and need to investigate what's necessary - no one but you has access to the device in question).

As pointed out in this thread:

The v2 has a different SOC (QCN5502 instead of QCA9558), different 2.4GHz radio (QCN5502 instead of QCA9558), different 5GHz radio (QCA9984 instead of QCA9980), and a different board layout. As far as I know, no QCN5502 devices are currently supported by OpenWrt. I could be wrong, though. Overall, it looks like a better device with better radios and a slightly faster CPU.

I added support for a Linksys EA7300 V2 using EA7300 V1 as a template. Never opened the case so I would not say that is a hard and fast rule. In my case, V1 had dual mt7615E radios while V2 had 7603/7615E radios. Flash/Ram remained the same although the manufacturers had changed. I was also reassured by other Linksys MT7621 based V2 devices, recently added to OpenWrt, that retained the same flash partitions. Confirmation of chips was also in the wikidevi archive and the FCC ID database.

Porting to V2 was just a matter of appending the kernel module for the 7603 radio to the image.

But that isn't the case here, different SOC and board design - nor a safe approach in general.

Anything helpful tutorial on how to do this? At least i could experiment.

Also according to the link below EX6400v2 has similar hardware to EX7300v2 so its not like these things are new.

In general, I agree. That series of Linksys devices had both an emergency recovery gui and were dual-boot which made me feel comfortable installing my builds. I still held my breath on the post-install reboot.

IMHO, the dual-boot/recovery gui makes this series of Linksys devices good candidates for device recommendations.

The documentation is here:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/start

The first big challenge is to set up a build environment. If you already run a linux machine, there are copy/paste guides to install the necessary packages for common distro's. There is another option to setup a virtual environment in Windows.

The next step is use git to download the code base. The project only takes patches to ^master branch which is in your interest, and other users, if you wish to download project builds in the future.

Lastly, look at this commit: https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=f61e754522996d1557691f945518b69a14d0446c
and replicate it for V2. Make the necessary edits so that it IDs as V2 and ensure that the kernel modules for the hardware differences are in place. Cross your fingers and build.
If it builds, the safest way to test is u-boot the netgear_ex7300_V2-initramfs-kernel.bin, This tests the image without writing it to flash, If it fails, the OEM software is still installed and should boot on restart.
If the initramfs image boots/runs without issue, install for real. Note that you will need to open the case and use a usb serial adapter to select the u-boot option to run the initramfs.

If this is too much, another suggestion is to contact Daniel Gimpelevich, email in the commit linked above.
It should be simple for him to add the new code with you testing the builds.