Can increase power from 30 db to 33db?

hi, I have a tplink w8970 with fw 19.07.00 with 2 watt alpha connected to the rear usb socket.
now I have configured 1 watt 30 db.
is it possible to increase it by 2-3 db from 30 db to 33 db by intervening in etc / config / wireless?
thanks

config wifi-device 'radio1'
option type 'mac80211'
option channel '11'
option hwmode '11g'
option path 'platform/1f400000.fpi/1e101000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0'
option htmode 'HT20'
option country 'US'
option txpower '33'

No, you can't.

2 Likes

Whats the actual issue you’re having . 30db is already very loud. What do you think increasing to 33db is going to achieve , besides create noise for your neighbors down the street? If people keep going this path with everyone getting higher and higher powered devices and arials the whole WiFi spectrum will be unusable. Instead, invest in using multiple ap devices transmitting at a more reasonable 18-22db that are bridged together via Ethernet or Ethernet-over-powerline adapters

Even if you do, your mobile device will not able to talk back to router despite router being able to scream to the device. Raising power on one side might make things worse. I have a network of AP's that devices roam between. Even keeping the power on legal limit of 200mW was suboptimal. Devices "hang" onto cells that they could hear, but could not shout back. Also, it generated lot's of cross-talk.
Once I took my APs down to 100mW, the throughput actually went up. Devices released from AP's earlier and latched to new ones quicker. Remember, a typical iPhone only beams around 50mW of radio back.

8 Likes

Even if you have a wifi adapter that can put out that much, different countries have laws regarding maximum txpower. These laws are embedded in the wireless regulatory database, which limits power output on the radio in line with the regulatory regime.

You would have to modify this database in order to put out more than the maximum specified output, which would be illegal and in many countries will subject you to quite severe legal sanctions. The USA is limited to 200mw/23db

2 Likes

I know it's illegal !!
unfortunately I have difficulty receiving the wifi signal from a hotspot ...
I ask how to increase and you tell me it's illegal?

You will not get help on these forums for things that are illegal. Especially when you are willfully attempting to violate the law.

Besides, as already described, high power in one side doesn’t actually help things because the other side doesn’t have the power to transmit responses that the high power side will be able to hear.

@tmomas @jow - would it be appropriate to lock this thread? Thanks.

year 2020.. we still witness people claiming this old, flawed and incorrect theory. even after proven wrong multiple times...

Power is one part, antenna design is the other. Inverse square law is dominant, but directional, high sensitivity and high gain antennas and rx amps can help on the receive side. But most systems aren’t designed this way.

And regardless of the radio hardware capability, the law is still the issue here.

1 Like

Fixed point to point links should run with the most directional (high gain) antenna you can fit. This not only improves receive and transmit signal level, it helps exclude interference from other systems not in the signal beam.

there is no receive side. both sides transmit and receive. directional antenna on one side is used simply because its convenient (was still able to establish same distance link with small indoor AP that had 2dbi antenna on that side, of course with smaller signal level figures)
design is not the critical factor either. devices used on the other end were ea3500 and small qca mpcie card in laptop that doesn't even reach 20dbm of output...

OpenWrt does not endorse modifications aimed at circumventing regulatory rules.

Closing this topic now.

2 Likes