Can bssid (wifi mac) be changed on wr941v3

That's not enough information to assist you. You described all WiFi devices before they're connected (or if you disconnected them). Resetting a device to defaults also erases the WiFi config - so...

• Did you run the [wrong - accidentally posted] command or something?
  • Can you provide any information that we need to assist you (e.g. after reset, did you reconfigure the device...if so, did you correctly add the option macaddr)?
  • Do you still need help editing the wireless config file?
  • Also, can you describe in full sentences, please.

I cannot understand if this is related to the latter (factory reset); or the former (wireless not associated)...and if you're referencing 1, 2 or 3 devices.

:bulb: Basically...what did you do or what command did you run before this happened?

I'm assuming you ran the bad command on the wifi1 AP...? But that isn't clear.

1 Like

all that what i do i do on one router(i will go one by one router if i make to change mac so my wrong sorry)
here what i do i just type in putty ip addres of router left only one ssid wifi work and enter that code didnt work, so i enter vi that code than its small frize in putty that i go in ui and see wifi ssid is there bu not associated that writes after some minites wireless options not showing so i reset to have wifi all that i was do on only one router

is there maybe opkg what can do change wifi mac? that would be useful :slight_smile: ?

where am i wrong please help me i will have to do that on 2 devices (one can stay same but other 1 or 2 dont of those 3 wr941v3 routers) so i will do same on second router when i make on first router

but for now i will try to change mac on 1 device , one from yesterday

lleachii i hope that fotos will help

wifi is showing up after i do reset on router like foto down

look and these please that is second router who is seted but he have same bssid mac like one who i try to change and another wr941v3 who is not on lan and powered off becouse i do one by one , i mean i have to change 2 bssids one old can stay becouse must be diffrent bssids

look fotos please

Ummm...no. You just simply edit the /etc/config/wireless file. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you (especially after @amteza kindly showed you how the file should look after)...but here's another method:

• backup your config
  • un-tar the file
  • edit /etc/config/wireless
  • re-tar the files
  • restore the config to the OpenWrt

...but it's so much easier to just edit the file and add the MAC via vi.

Why aren't you typing the command exactly as @amteza posted???

• :warning: You must type the commend exactly as noted
  • You can verify you did so by typing cat /etc/config/wireless
1 Like

there is no any mac to edit it it looks like these where to enter mac 77:91:4c:43:2b:c9?

i will try now echo -e "\noption macaddr '77:91:4c:43:2b:c9'\n" >> /etc/config/wireless

it just stays like these i cant type nothing else do i need to wait and how long?

and hapend again no wifi at all

add it ? which is exactly what the echo command will/would do, too.

2 Likes

First off, x7:xx... is not a valid MAC address. Use the factory MAC which is printed on the sticker on the bottom of the unit.

If you have the file open in a text editor on your PC, do what @lleachii said and add an option macaddr line to the bottom of the file (or anywhere in the wifi-iface block) then save the file back into the tar archive and restore it to your router.

3 Likes

You add a valid MAC on the empty line 15:

option macaddr 'aa:bb:cc:dd:ee'

:spiral_notepad: As @mk24 remarked - use the MAC on the sticker of your router.

1 Like

ok mk24 i will put one from ticket on router -e "\noption macaddr '00:23:xx:20:xx:ec'\n" >> /etc/config/wireless
in putty what you mean add it wireless how? frollic?

Please see:

(If you're having some issue with the steps, please let us know.)

:warning: Adding line 15 by text editor, echo command or putty/SSH does the same thing - it puts option macaddr 'aa:bb:cc:dd:ee' on line 15 - which is the wifi-iface section you need to edit (which we've been telling you in the past few posts). I hope this helps. :smiley:

1 Like

ok i got it lleachii is it should be like these
foto 1
O4oUMyE1

or like these foto2

:man_facepalming:

No.

Line 15 should be like this:

option macaddr 'aa:bb:cc:dd:ee'

(Yes, you can/should put a TAB before the word "option", but it's not necessary and making this difficult.)

:warning: Again, use a valid MAC address - 00:xx:cd:xx:72:ec is not valid!

Make it look like the other lines:

• Indented (use the tab key, or spaces-- OpenWrt does not care)
  • option macaddr like all the other lines have option nameoftheoption.
  • The MAC address in single quotes (key next to the enter key)

This is something that should be self-explanatory. Just look at the rest of the file.

1 Like

dear friend its real ticked on paper on router i can send you foto in inbox thats facory ticket fot router and its like these 00:23:cX:2X:72:ec

like these foto?

1 Like

Starting with 00 is OK. Starting with 77 is not OK. Change the numbers to the real numbers on your factory sticker, but do not post them publicly.

2 Likes

Yes!

:warning: Replace with a valid MAC as you noted:

Yes, use that one.

1 Like