Can any one build OpenWrt for my router TP-Link wr940 v6

Can any one build openwrt for my router wr940 v6 with adding luci-app-sqm luci-app-upnp dnscrypt-proxy and remove ipv6 to get fit 4MB image please help i have another router in my home wr941 v5 it work with LADEUS 17.01 and have sqm .. i need jest sqm if any one help me by building image for me.... i try chif libremesh the online builder and i add sqm but in the created file i don't know what the right one to factory flash by TFTP ..help....

To prepare you for silence, most likely not. TLS support alone is large.

The "tiny" build on the deprecated ar71xx target is already 3392 kB, you need at least about 200 kB for a functional overlay.

Even if it fits, 32 MB of RAM is unlikely going to be enough for stable operation, especially with that firmware running.

32 MB can work for minimal router/AP functions, but may repeatedly “crash”, depending on your hardware and use case

This has been the case for a while now, and will only get worse with time as people's demand on what a router "should" do increase (like SQM, VPN, encrypted DNS, fancy GUIs, ...)

I have no idea what "LADEUS 17.01" is, but OpenWrt v17 is effectively EOL at this time.

Since the WR940 is not being built for the ath79 platform on master, from what I can tell, the days of being able to support that device are over. Any device with less than 16 MB of flash or less than 128 MB of RAM does not have enough resources to run a secure, Linux-based OS and the applications that people now seem to demand.

4 Likes

ok man this bad for wr940 v6.... LEDE This is what I was talking about > Build date: 27.5.2017 LADUS 17.01 that i download it from here TP-Link TL-WR841N(D), WA701N(D), WR740N(D), WR741N(D), WR743N(D), WR940N, WR941N(D) - LADUS / JULIA / Ultra Lite / VPN builds for my router wr940 v2/wr941nd v5 it work by TFTP and everything ok i flashed the wr941nd v5 have this Features

• LuCI with default theme
  • Adblock with adaway, disconnect, winspy and yoyo blocklists enabled out of the box
  • DNSCrypt with opennic anycast DNS resolver enabled by default
  • UPnP
  • SQM with extra scripts added
  • Disabled IPv6
  • Removed kernel debugging
  • Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
  • squashfs block size 1024 Kib
    If just.. i can install this build for wr940 v6 it will be like a dream _ .it the same ram and flash size .. just need some magic from pro man ..It does not matter if it is the same version ..openwrt 18xx will be nice.

You might want to ask the author of that post.

However, v17 and, to a great extend v18 are pretty much obsolete at this time.

A 4/32 router is pretty much the "Pentium 90 with a 160 MB hard drive and 512 MB of RAM" of the all-in-one-router world. Great in its day, but no current, even somewhat secure version of Windows can be run on it anymore.

This would be a good time to start budgeting for and selecting an appropriate replacement. 16/128 routers of good quality start at under US$20.

You can possibly get another year out of yours, before it becomes nearly impossible to build and run anything but the most trivial functionality. To do so, you'd need to learn to build your own images from source. There are some hints on what you can do to save space on the wiki. As packages take up roughly half the space if in the ROM as compared to installing later, you should plan on always building your own ROM when you need to add or can remove a package. ("Deleting" a ROM package doesn't save any space.)

4 Likes

I'll add that a GL-iNet AR150 (64/16) is a good candidate - very reasonable cost and good availability, either on Amazon, or Alibaba (or direct ship to certain countries).

It has a fairly robust bootloader, so almost impossible to brick, so it's a nice unit to learn OpenWRT development on as the AR9331 is a very mature platform and well known to many that work on OpenWRT.

Repurpose the WR950v6 as a WAP for WiFi and can leverage the switch ports.

3 Likes

:+1: on the GL.iNet units.

I've got three different models of theirs now, GL-AR300M-Lite (apparently no longer available), and two with 128 MB of NAND and 128 MB of RAM, the GL-AR300M (~US$40) and the GL-AR750S. I'm impressed with the design, build quality, performance, and support of all three. The GL-MT300M-V2 is another option at ~US$20, but as I don't own one and haven't owned routers with the MTK chipset, I can't comment meaningfully on its performance.

1 Like

Trying not to sound like a fanboi - the team over there has done a pretty decent job. I like that the management team and developers are fairly open, and they encourage IoT development and support it well.

The AR300M is a pretty good device, but building stock openwrt from 18.06 means a NOR build - on master, there's support, but I don't recommend master for those just getting started with OpenWRT.

AR150 rolls out of the block on 18.06, works clean on Master with ar7xxx, and ath79 is looking good on this target. From a HW perspective, it's pretty clean, nothing special - about as close to a reference platform for QCA9331 as one could get.

2 Likes

Full NAND support of GL-AR300M and GL-AR750S is running locally on GigaDevice NAND (ath79, 4.19, upstream SPI-NAND support). F-series patches upstream (Linux) awaiting inclusion. Paragon NAND (older production) driver out for testing, then upstream submission. Hopefully only a couple weeks before up for OpenWrt.

2 Likes

I've deployed a couple of AR300M-NOR's out in the field as "Bump in the Wire" to improve stability and latency...

Fun read here - https://apenwarr.ca/log/20180808#openwrt

He's using a D-Link DIR-825 - but AR300M has more than enough horsepower for a 100Mbps link...

1 Like