Can a 4x4 client use two 2x2 APs?

I searched the web but most discussions focus on the opposite question: single AP and multiple clients.

What about single client but multiple APs with the same SSID or whatever else is needed to make them cooperate maximally well?

1 Like

Nothing special is needed, it works. You can only connect to one BSSID at a time.

I was thinking in the same direction :confounded:

But while you are likely concerned about speed?

My concern was aimed towards lower TX power ...

The way single AP works is by sitting in one corner of the room and beaming signal -for that signal to reach client device it relies on bouncing around and having enough power to penetrate whatever object is in between AP <> Client device...

What if you could space multiple APs in different corners of the room ? With all those different angles you practically ensure better line of sight vs single AP - hence you could get away with using much less TX power...

What I'm thinking of is probably more in line with mesh networks than - two 2x2 raid 0 xd

The client makes the roaming decisions, but as lleachii already said, it will only connect to a single BSSID (a single AP, which means the link itself will regress to 2x2) - if the other is there or not, doesn't matter, it's just additional noise and doesn't help.

1 Like

That's what I was after. Whether the client can connect to multiple APs concurrently and double its speed. Thanks for answering. I should have been more clear.

I am curious though if you know WHY clients cannot make use of two APs simultaneously, like in my example? Is it for a reason similar to why a 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz capable client cannot transmit through both simultaneously?

Because a client can only connect to a single radio at any given time. All traffic is addressed to this one single BSSID (~= MAC address).

--
Yes, DBDC has made it possible for one (special) radio to cut itself in half and serve two bands.
Yes, 802.11be claims to support using different bands concurrently to speed up a link, we'll see how that plays out (it probably needs a lit of additional 'intelligence' on the AP side to coordinate) - but you can't buy 802.11be clients at this point anyways. And it's pretty questionable if this will really provide a benefit in practice (2.4 GHz is too slow to provide much of an improvement, if you have 5 GHz reception, use it, exclusively - no need to look at the measly addition for 2.4 GHz (and dealing with wildly disproportionate network links has always been 'interesting')).
No, we aren't there yet (unless you're sitting in a secret EM lab of one of the major chipset vendors or their high tier commercial customers).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.