CAKE w/ Adaptive Bandwidth [August 2022 to March 2024]

Depends on where you live. Inside the EU the EU Regulation 2015/2120 sets pretty explicit limits on when and how ISPs are allowed to treat end-user traffic differentially. That thing is "beautiful" laywerese but still worth a read including the preamble before article 1.

Internally most ISPs likely use some internal prioritization, e.g. if network control traffic is using the same pipes as end-user traffic I expect ISPs will prioritize their control traffic with understandable justification.

I would expect an important point in that function would be source verification/admission control, so only a few select machines are allowed to emit higher priority traffic.

I honestly have no idea.

1 Like

The bash implementation can be made to work with using only a few percent of CPU (depending on various configurable factors) so unless connection saturates CPU (and most use cases like LTE won't) then is CPU use such an issue?

I imagine that the perl approach probably uses between 1 to 2%.

No it isn't, but then getting CPU usage further down isn't my main goal here, it's a side benefit.
I mostly thought it'd be an interesting challenge to do this in Rust, anything else in kinda secondary.

3 Likes

It is not only CPU but also the need for a run-time environment, compared to ideally a single statically compiled binary...
Also a fully fledged language might implement something like usable (multidimensional) arrays, better concurrency constructs, maybe even usable plotting primitives out of the box.

I wanted to point out that @jow wrote a javascript-like language that @nbd is leveraging in his wireguard-dht work that might be suitable...

With Need help with USB tethering issues in mind, did you ever (roughly) establish how much data this kind of adaptive link tuning costs to keep the measurements going? Obviously this depends on a lot of factors, configuration (ping frequency), type of reflectors, link speed, variances in link speed, etc, but it would be interesting to have a rough order of magnitude.

1 Like

A normal ping packet of 56 bytes corresponds to an 84 byte IPv4 packet, so for IPv4 links you need to calculate roughly:
effective aggregate ping frequency [Hz] * (84 + per-packet-overhead)[B] * duration [s]
but this is only an upper bound, as the current code will try to put the ping probes to sleep when the wan link is essentially idle.

Maybe we could print an informative text somewhere on start up telling the user about the rate of the load ad well as the total traffic volume per day or so. The only challenge is where to print that.... maybe just into the system log?

To give some numbers, let's assume my link with the current defaults:

([pings/sec] * [number_reflectors] * ([default ICMP echo size bytes] + [per-packet-overhead bytes]) * [sec/hour] * [hour/day]) / [bytes/megabyte] or [bytes/megabibyte]
(5 * 4 * (84+34) * 3600 * 24) / 1000^2 = 203.904 MB
(5 * 4 * (84+34) * 3600 * 24) / 1024^2 = 194.458007812 MeB

on a metered link where every byte is charged/accounted, the defaults are a bit on the heavy side, however due to the ping sleep code the number above would require that the network is continuously loaded above the "idle-sleep" threshold.
Also 56 is the default ping payload, but timestamps are available down to 16 bytes IIRC which would reduce the numbers down to:

(5 * 4 * (84+34-40) * 3600 * 24) / 1000^2 = 134.784 MB
(5 * 4 * (84+34-40) * 3600 * 24) / 1024^2 = 128.540039062 MeB

I know I have been arguing for keeping the default ping size before (as I expect everything to be optimized for that size) but for metered links maybe something like -s 16 might be a better default, assuming that this works for everybody else's links (LTE, starlink, ...) as well.

P.S.: I think my calculations are correct, but there might be conceptual errors in there, so take with a grain of salt.

Sounds like a good startup message.

1 Like

@Lynx a quick test yesterday with rates set to (Mbps):
dl_max: 105
dl_base: 75
dl_min: 50
ul_max: 35
ul_base: 25
ul_min: 17

both 105 and 35 are my hard limits for fixed SQM which work well.
During a speedtest things behaved as expected, the tested direction increased from base to max, while the unloaded direction stayed at base rate (since the upper limits are chosen to be still in the acceptable latency under load territory, hence no reduction to minimum rate).
Due to some issues with logging when started from the command line and not as a background service, I did not let it run any longer, so those tests will have to wait a bit.

1 Like

But I think it's important to point out that it's light and, other than ICMPs, passive. It is not as if we run bandwidth tests every so often. So I'm not sure users need to worry about quota use, etc.

1 Like

Sure but over a full day we accumulate a lot of packets. If my numbers above are correct we would end up with (for a month of 30 days):

(5 * 4 * (84+34-40) * 3600 * 24 * 30) / 1024^3 = 3.77  GiB

or for normal ping size:

(5 * 4 * (84+34) * 3600 * 24 * 30) / 1024^3 = 5.70 GiB

For many mobile plans that is a considerable chunk of the monthly quota (for some it will even exceed the quota)... yes the sleeping code (which I also argued against :wink: *) will help but in a hard to quantify way.

*) But hey, I am willing to learn, my own mobile plan is auto-upgrading but 3.7 GiB would crash me through the two lowest price tiers without transferring a single byte of useful data. (I am not using autorate on that link or tethering at all, just to illustrate why I consider 3.7 GiB a problem and the sleep code an elegant way to reduce that without incurring noticeable delays).

2 Likes

We are talking about the fact that the autorate approach will generate its own measurement traffic which on a metered link like yours where to ISP will throttle the rate after using up one's "high speed mobile data" allowance poses its own challenges.

1 Like

It's working for me flawlessly on the upload interface, but not for the download interface.
Even when matching out the baseline download bandwidth, the load is classified as low.
This prevented the download bandwidth from ramping up to the configured max bandwidth.
It would be nice if someone can guide me if I have misconfogiured something.

Here are my setup (transparent bridge): eth1 <--> eth0

qdisc cake 8008: dev eth0 root refcnt 3 bandwidth 180Mbit diffserv4 dual-dsthost nonat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64
qdisc cake 8005: dev eth1 root refcnt 3 bandwidth 45Mbit diffserv4 dual-srchost nonat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 6

log: https://pastebin.com/rZpBJryz 1
config: https://pastebin.com/L05V39xQ

I did a speedtest during the record of the log.

can you post the result of the speed test? Maybe a speedtest with sqm/autorare disabled, and one speedtest with SQM enables statically and no autorate.
It could be that your router is simply running out of CPU cycles when shaping at 185 Mbps. And if the achievable throughput stays below 75% of the shaper rate autorate will not increase the shaper rate.

cake with autorate (DL:210/180/140 UL:52.5/45/35)

cake without autorate (DL:180 UL:45)

no sqm:

We can see that we are not close to the bandwidth limit for download. But it only stayed at the base threshold. However, we do see the upload bandwidth ramping up during load.

The OpenWRT system is running two threads from a ryzen 3600 in a VM. It should be powerful enough even for 1Gbps.

I don't have the most stable ISP. Often times during peak hours, the bandwidth drops.
This is why I see cake-autorate as an opportunity to setting an avg baseline and then ramping up the bandwidth if available.

Hmm.. in the dataset linked the achieved rate we measure never gets close to the CAKE dl rate:

But the speedtests above show a much higher CAKE dl rate?

with your overhead the best you can expect over IPv4 would be:

180 * ((1500-20-20)/(1500+18)) = 173.12 Mbps
45 * ((1500-20-20)/(1500+18)) = 43.28 Mbps

you are getting close to these values.

Looking at the ping values under load in the no SQM case indicates some RTT increase under load, but given you 40ms threshold not sure why this is enough to throttle you from 207 down to 167?

@aqua_hopps maybe you could post a couple more logs so we can better see what's going on?

The speedtests and logs were recorded side by side.

Is it reading the wrong rx_bytes and tx_bytes files?

# verify these are correct using 'cat /sys/class/...'
case "${dl_if}" in
    \veth*)
        rx_bytes_path="/sys/class/net/${dl_if}/statistics/tx_bytes"
        ;;
    \ifb*)
        rx_bytes_path="/sys/class/net/${dl_if}/statistics/tx_bytes"
        ;;
    *)
        rx_bytes_path="/sys/class/net/${dl_if}/statistics/rx_bytes"
        ;;
esac