Buy which or what: router, AP wifi, extender?

Maybe i should have said we are not into gaming. Just surfing the net + dl +streaming sometimes.
Do i understand correct you need to connect it to another router before installing? This can't be done by wifi?

The gaming thing for routers is just a sales gimmick, ignore it.

Which device are we talking about?

well i think i stick to a 2nd hand one, the 2600 you mentioned.
For linux there is an end of support date set for all Mint versions. Anything like that for 2600?

Is the source wifi 2.4 or 5 GHz? Is it ax, ac, or n?

And the most important question before buying any device that will be in line between you and the Internet provider, is what is the subscribed ISP speed?

hi mk24, thnx for youre question. This is what we have found:
2.4GHz wifi source and probably 5ghz too. All 3 are available: ax ac , n
Speed officially 10mb/s of course never had anything higher then 2mb/s Often around 1 mb/s which is fine. Lately hardly 100k which isn't ok.

Does the c2600 tick does boxes?

Not the AX box, but if the signal's weak, AX doesn't really get you anything extra,
but those devices can be bought new, and are future proof(er). AX is the newest
wifi standard in consumer products.

AX devices supported: https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128_ax-wifi
Wouldn't go for the Ubiquitis because they're APs, with only one network port.

The Linksys and the Belkin are the same device, and usually sold at Amazon UK,
but hard to get - usually OOS, and I would assume you'd have to pay EU tolls to get
them, since UK left the EC.

No need for ax, 2nd hand C2600 costs about 60 eu, nice to start with i guess.
But is it necessary to connect the C2600 to a modem to install it? Or can this be done by wifi? I mean do we need access by wire to the camping office modem for this? And when we move to anoher camping has this to be done again?
like told here
https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202001/20200102/7106508531_SOHOWireless%20Routers(EU2-16Languages)_QIG_V1.pdf
1 Install the antennas. If the antennas are already fixed, move to the next step.
2 Turn off the modem, and remove the backup battery if it has one.
3 Connect the modem to the Internet (or WAN) port on your router with an Ethernet cable.
4 Turn on the router, and wait for it to start.
5 Turn on the modem.

I assume you mean installing openwrt, then you'll need an ethernet cable between your computer and the router, to upload the image. The image itself must be DLed over internet.

Once that's done, you'll need it again for enabling the wifi, then the rest of the configuration can be done over wifi.

You don't have to repeat the procedure every time you move or restart the router.

if you don't need openwrt, then just get some plain wifi repeater, it'll do what you want as well.
There are openwrt capable repeaters as well.

Thats a new approach! :sweat_smile:
Bestt hing would be with an outside antenna, any idea which one got that?

outside = outdoor ?

or just external ?

outdoor indeed, since the wifi signal is coming from a modem 50m away.

something like this https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07T8GBBZ5/ , just googled, have no experience of the actual product.

I haven't heard much good about that unit, and 115 euro it is way overpriced.

If you're sure the AP has 5 GHz I'd use a Ubiquiti Nanostation 5 AC loco, it has good RF performance and OpenWrt compatibility, $49.00 USD MSRP (though power supply is not included, and it is not 802.3af compatible you need "24 volt passive" PoE for it.) This device also includes a low power 2.4 Ghz 1x1 "management" radio, which at 10 Mb ISP speed would be adequate to serve as the local (very local) AP for the user side.

New 2.4 GHz CPEs are not common any more as the WISP industry has pretty much abandoned that band. There is a TP-Link and the old Ubiquiti models like the Nanostation M2.

Also shown in amazo TP-Link EAP225, but they have only snapshot as firmware
https://openwrt.org/toh/start The Ubiquiti Nanostation 5 AC has a proper 21+ version!
https://openwrt.org/releases/21.02/changelog-21.02.0-rc1?s[]=ubiquiti&s[]=nanostation&s[]=5&s[]=ac

The signal is sent from the office building outdoors. I thought 5ghz is better for indoors only?

The shorter wavelength of 5 GHz means that small antennas can have high gain, making it useful for outdoor point to point links. The CPE can easily link to an indoor router at 50 meters unless there is severe obstruction (i.e. multiple walls) in the way.

It is not sure it uses the 5ghz, so what if it uses the 2,4ghz, will this Ubiquiti still bring in the signal?

No, the Nanostation 5 AC loco would only work if the AP has a 5 GHz signal. Its strong directional antenna and radio is 5 GHz only.

This is easy enough to check using a smartphone with dual band wifi and a wifi analyzer app.

As I mentioned there is similar hardware for 2.4 but fewer choices.

Ai that's bad news, we need a more widespread antenna. Any ideas for that

No you want to point your CPE at the other house. It is going to receive the wifi signal from there, and make Internet available on the Ethernet cable and the small internal 2.4 GHz radio (which covers several meters around the device).

If you want to widely distribute the repeated Internet you would need additional equipment.

Thats not what i mean, it is just the way around. There are sevaral access points (AP). Sometimes we want/ need to change AP, When it is a directional antenna we have to go outside everytime to point that exactly on the other AP.