Builds for Linksys WHW03 V2 + V1

Adding new build for WHW03V1.

Pending to implement the correct firmware update using sysupgrade.

Great work! I recently bought a tri-pack with V2 devices and noticed that the standard firmware is really low on (standard) features. OpenWrt on these devices would add a lot of value to them (for me at least).

I was looking arround in the github repository to see what changes are required to make openwrt work on this device and also trying to build an image myself.

I checked out the whw03v2 branch and was wondering what configuration you are using for your builds? Default clean clone with ipq40xx, generic, Linksys WHW03 V2 ?

I also extracted the original firmware's filesystem with binwalk and found out that there's a really helpfull webpage in the original firmware at http://hostname/sysinfo.cgi thats gives a lot of information regarding u-boot, partitions, processes, etc.

Keep up the good work!

Since these are ARM based devices that rely on DTS to boot -- think about a mapping between hardware and the kernel -- you'll have to use the IPQ40XX with the Linksys WHW03 V2 profile.

Personally been running those for some months and they work flawlessly -- moved out of Mikrotik HaP AC2 due to coverage, and I'm currently playing with DAWN for seamless client handover between APs.

Is that based on 802.11s mesh? I'm looking to make the set functionally the same so that they still are a mesh with only one wired connection at the base station but offcourse based op OpenWrt.

I also opened one up to look at it's inside looking for the serial port pads. Searching this forum and the internet I could not find the location or pinout. Can you maybe tell me the pinout for the V2 board? I have a strip of six points right next to the heatsink and power/button board. Is this the right place?

1 Like

Hi guys,
First of all, thank you for the job. I received today a kit of 3 Velop (V1 or V2) I haven't opened the package yet, and I will certainly put openwrt in it, since you seem to have good results.
It will also allow me to link the mesh with another Compex WLE1216V-23 (QCA9984) in 802.11s or other.

But if I understand correctly, I just have to compile the generic sources of IPQ40XX, add the firmwares and upload the image in tftp by serial link? Or no need for serial?
Thanks

On the V2 version, on the main PCB left to the power/button bridge, you'll see a pinout labeled J4.

Start numbering from the top, where the arrow is located, pin 3 is RX, pin 5 is RX, and pin 6 is GND.
Do not connect 3v3 from your TTL.

2 Likes

To build any version, you could clone my repository and build a IPQ40XX target with a Linksys WHW03 device type.

I do regularly provide builds if necessary for both versions, since I do have this devices running.

If you are planning to buy a set, make sure you get the V2 version as it is more similar to the standard flash type for this type of devices -- as a note, V1 uses eMMC whereas V2 uses flash.

1 Like

Okay, that's the V2 I got.
I've been compiling it from your repository.

However, even after removing the three screws, it's a hell of a thing to open without breaking anything.

The best way is to remove the sticker surrounding the ethernet and power ports. There are two hidden screws beneath that. If you unscrew them you can remove the grey part. Theres another screw a little bit deeper that has to be removed. All three screws are the same size phillips head screws. After that you can remove the small screws in the corners holding the white pieces together. With all screws and the grey part removed you can slide the white sides a bit to the bottom. Look at the hinges/thingies inside for the order. Than you can remove the side antenna. It is hold on by two little clips. The holder remains on de side piece.

2 Likes

I'm in!

There was a double RX in your message. No problem, just try and turn around and try again.

RX: 3
TX: 5
GND: 6

115200, 8N1

1 Like

Well on my side I compiled and installed openwrt, no problem, I will see afterwards to remove the remaining screws thanks to the instructions of @wowthur.

I will check that the drivers are not missing during the compilation for the second wifi chipset, because luci displays "Generic".

The IPQ4019 drivers are listed as generic since I extracted the firmware blob from a stock factory image.

The QCA are used on the stock firmware to establish a mesh network.

1 Like

Have to say I broke the plastic wraps both times opening V1 and V2 models...

That's for sure, I stopped before I broke to ask, but I was already bending the edges a bit.

Thanks for the info.
You're answering a question I was wondering about which one is best suited for the backhault.

I've never been so happy to connect a serial plug, your instructions for dismantling helped me a lot, I didn't break anything!

In case anyone hesitates:

Okay, I've done some speed tests with iperf3 and I'm encountering performance problems. Let me explain.

Router WRT1900ACS iperf3 -s

Velop connected in 5GHz via QCA9886
iperf3 -c wrt1900acs :

And with the pc wired to the Velop :

Connecting to host 10.0.254.1, port 5201
[  4] local 10.0.248.2 port 1090 connected to 10.0.254.1 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.01   sec  18.6 MBytes   155 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.01-2.01   sec  19.8 MBytes   166 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.01-3.00   sec  21.6 MBytes   182 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  21.6 MBytes   181 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  20.6 MBytes   173 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  20.4 MBytes   171 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  21.8 MBytes   183 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.01   sec  21.8 MBytes   182 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.01-9.00   sec  19.9 MBytes   168 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  19.6 MBytes   165 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   206 MBytes   172 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   206 MBytes   172 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Performance halved
Do you have the same results?

PS: With the option enabled in the firewall Software flow offloading, speed rate rises to 195Mb/s
PS2: Velop (iperf3 -s) (eth0) -> PC (lan) : speed 902 Mbits/sec

Quick update: I am having concerning results as well -- although the wireless chip on my laptop is not the best and might introduce more errors.

I'll have to do some tests and get back with results -- apologies as this past weeks I've been busy and could not work on WHW03 v1 or v2, especially when kids are using the network.

There is no problem, it is already very nice to take care of this support.
I'm available if you ever need to do some tests.

Concerning my test from above, just in case, here are the test conditions in more detail, I didn't use the wifi of my laptop, the config was :

1. WRT1900ACS (iperf -s) "wifi AP 5GHz" to
  2. Velop ("wifi Client QCA9886") to
  3. PC from Ethernet.

1 <-> 2 : 338Mb/s that's good (max of my wrt1900acs)
2 <-> 3 : 902Mb/s which I think is good there, too.
1 <-> 3 : 172Mb/s

I don't remember the results of connecting the PC in wifi to the velop via IPQ4019, it seems to me that the speed is similar to cable. I feel like that CPU is bottleneck WAN <-> LAN (it is at 100% during the test), but I'm not sure.

Hi,
It seems I have a small problem, I tried to reinstall the manufacturer firmware on one unit, except that after the sysupgrade, I'm wandering from one openwrt partition to another. There I try to find the right command to flash the image directly by tftp at boot time (maybe with tftpboot, but without too much success)

@Pro_info if you can boot into OpenWRT, try to use the following commands to restore to a factory firmware.

Summary of commands, assuming you are using a V2 model and OpenWRT was boot using boot_part 1.

ssh $routerIP
wget $factoryFirmware // additionally you can download it on your computer and SCP to the router
fw_printenv | grep boot_part // make sure we are using boot_part 1
dd if=$FirmwareImage of=/dev/mmcblk0p14 bs=4M count=1
dd if=$FirmwareImage of=/dev/mmcblk0p15 bs=4M skip=2
fw_setenv boot_part 2
reboot

If you do not have access to OpenWRT, I'd recommend booting from an OpenWRT's initramfs and flashing from there.

Feel free to contact me if you need more information!