Builds for Linksys WHW03 V2 + V1

Hi @vtremblay, thank you for the information. You are correct, the reset button is not needed, just the 3x power on/off which directs the unit to boot from the other partition.

I have just successfully flashed the snapshot that was linked on that same page, and I have SSH access which is a start. I don't seem to be able to find a way to log into the web interface though. Port 80 and 8000 are closed. OpenWRT doesn't appear to like me running an nmap scan over the device either, even using stealth mode it still doesn't report any ports as being open. So far 22 is the only one that's alive.

Is there a way for me to enable LuCI or perhaps it's not included in this snapshot?

Edit: never mind, I just came across a couple of very helpful links :slight_smile:

I'm starting to get somewhere now.

1 Like

It's totally possible that luci is not included in the snapshot builds. To be honest, I built the image from the source and I am using the config from 22.03 (see build documentation).

There are also several Web UIs that let's you build an image with the packages that you want. You can use one of those to include luci.

Appreciate the help. I've installed Luci now and had a play, it seems that OpenWRT can do everything I need it to do on these Velop units, so providing I can get mesh working (found some other instructions for that), then before I get too settled, I may actually build it myself from source too and see if I can get it up and running with the newer version.

1 Like

Unless you require dynamic reconfiguration (moving satellites), plain https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds would be much easier to set up (and faster) than a real mesh (in the sense of 802.11s, B.A.T.M.A.N. or similar).

I had so far only come across this guide and was planning to give that a go, but now you've shared this repeater mode, I will do some reading and see if it will work the way I hope it does.

Do you think the way I was going to do it would be more complicated?

Yes.

You're right, it involves recompiling the firmware. I decided not to do that since the snapshot is working well for everything else, and I'd rather get it up and running quicker.
Thanks, will start working on the repeater mode now :slight_smile:

@slh @vtremblay
Well, I'm feeling quite proud with myself this morning :sweat_smile:

I managed to get the proper mesh method configured rather than using the repeater mode with the help of this guide. I didn't need to build my own firmware, I just followed the steps to install wpad-openssl and mesh11sd then edited the /etc/config/wireless file to set up the mesh interface on radio0, followed by rebooting each device.

All 3 nodes now have a meth0 wireless network which they use for backhaul, here's the dump from the main wired node:

root@main:~# iw dev mesh0 station dump
Station e8:9f:80:de:25:29 (on mesh0)
        inactive time:  20 ms
        rx bytes:       4913740
        rx packets:     37640
        tx bytes:       2113209
        tx packets:     6185
        tx retries:     23
        tx failed:      0
        rx drop misc:   5420
        signal:         -57 [-63, -65, -95, -95] dBm
        signal avg:     -58 [-62, -64, -95, -95] dBm
        Toffset:        18446744073398717412 us
        tx bitrate:     650.0 MBit/s VHT-MCS 7 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
        tx duration:    122708 us
        rx bitrate:     866.7 MBit/s VHT-MCS 9 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2

<snip>

Station e8:9f:80:ca:28:de (on mesh0)
        inactive time:  20 ms
        rx bytes:       1338797
        rx packets:     7926
        tx bytes:       199001
        tx packets:     1114
        tx retries:     1
        tx failed:      1
        rx drop misc:   920
        signal:         -71 [-74, -71, -95, -95] dBm
        signal avg:     -71 [-72, -70, -95, -95] dBm
        Toffset:        18446744072268215672 us
        tx bitrate:     325.0 MBit/s VHT-MCS 7 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 1
        tx duration:    22531 us
        rx bitrate:     325.0 MBit/s VHT-MCS 7 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 1
        rx duration:    0 us

The 2nd node doesn't get a brilliant signal, but it will be ok because my internet is only 100Mbps anyway.
Thank you both for your help. I'm going to export all these configs and save them.

@vtremblay: I started looking into the EM3581 zigbee module and while doing some research on it, I found that you had looked or are still looking into it. Have you made any progress? I'm willing to spend time on creating an interface in Luci, but haven't figured out how to use the SPIDEV device yet, wondering how far you got?

Hi @georgem83,
I was trying to get the bluetooth done (see this PR) before really tackling the ZigBee chip.

For the ZigBee Radio, I have submitted a patch upstream (see here) and to openwrt (here) for the spidev device to be mounted properly, without error message.
The device is configured in the DT here.
I also went into the vendor firmware to extract the GPIO pins used for the module. There are 2 of them that I am not sure what they are used for, so I simply hogged them (see here). This will probably need to be reviewed later.
The end result is that the SPIDEV device is available in OpenWRT.

Currently there's no opensource stack (as far as I know) that support EM3581 through SPI. The other problem is that this chip is deprecated, which means that the official stack from silabs available on github don't support it.
To get access to the version of the stack that is needed for the chip, you have to buy one of the silabs dev board. I'm planning to do it, but I'm not there yet.

There is also a library hidden in the vendor firmware to interact with the chip. From what I saw, it might be possible to use it to get the ZigBee radio working, but I did not spent too much time on it.

1 Like

Has anyone managed to successfully create multiple VLANs on the single LAN port, and could provide some instructions? I'd like to keep some wired traffic separate. Thank you in advance!

Thanks, this would be useful if I had multiple LAN ports as shown below but on this device there is only one. Not sure if what I'm trying to achieve is even possible tbh

1 Like

Yes it is possible. By default the first port is configured as a WAN and the second one is a LAN. That is the reason why you see only one port.
You can delete the WAN setup and add the port to the lan bridge.

Hello guys,
how could we go back to the Stock Firmware? Can we go back via Web UI?

Thank you

I've been advised you can go back by uploading the stock firmware to /tmp/ and then doing the following while in ssh in the /tmp folder:

mtd erase alt_rootfs

mtd write $FIRMWARE_IMAGE alt_rootfs

mtd erase alt_kernel

mtd write $FIRMWARE_IMAGE alt_kernel

mtd erase rootfs

mtd write $FIRMWARE_IMAGE rootfs

mtd erase kernel

mtd write $FIRMWARE_IMAGE kernel

This worked for me using the firmware from the Linksys support site.

2 Likes

Hello guys,
I hope you are having a great Carnival!

I've been testing OpenWRT for WHW03 V2 for the last weekend using 3 mesh nodes and I noticed a decrease on my mesh bandwidth. In the stock firmware I got 400/460 Mbps when testing with Iperf between nodes (machines wired over ethernet to the nodes). And now, with BATMAN IV (default bridge settings) I got 130/150 Mbps. Does anybody have the same issue?

I'm using non-CT drivers with wpad-mesh-mbedtls 2022-07-29-b704dc72-17.2.

I noticed that the default firmware uses channel 100 DFS for the mesh network. I don't have DFS channels available in OpenWRT, so I'm using channel 149 for that.

Build: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r22094-144fa4d4e7 (18/02/2023)

Besides that, OpenWRT is running great and fast roaming finally works in my velops! However, I need this bandwidth boost :confused:

Thank you

1 Like

hi @vtremblay, can I ask where you found that the stock FW uses the channels as defined in the DTS on &wifi2?
ieee80211-freq-limit = <5735000 5835000>;

I've just gone through the stock FW and the CFG partition and, in there, the syscfg.dat file mentions the following:
wl2_available_channels=100,104,108,112,116,120,124,128,132,136,140
As such, shouldn't the freq limits be set to?
ieee80211-freq-limit = <5490000 5710000>;

I've built a new image but wanted to check if you had tested this already before I potentially risk damaging the radio. If you haven't, I'll test and post results.

Freq limits for wlan1 are in line with stock:
wl1_available_channels_20=0,36,40,44,48

1 Like

Just to revert, I've gone ahead and flashed the device with the frequencies above. They all work and DFS channels are available:

2 Likes

Perfect. Can you test the mesh bandwidth and let us know how it goes? :slight_smile:

1 Like