Builds for Linksys WHW03 V2 + V1

Can this update also be made for the V1 please?

1 Like

Can you provide guidance on how to flash this build? I am currently on factory firmware. Do I need to install it on all three nodes individually?

1 Like

Probably a long shot but would this work for the AX4200 (also known as MX4200) ?

Thanks
Steve

Is this project dead for WHW03 V1? Last firmware was from 2021. Can someone advice how to fix the issue where the configuration does not survive the reboots?
Thanks

Any progress on Linksys whw03v1?

I have tested the GIT from @flipy checkout remotes/origin/whw03-21.02-fix
for the whw03 v1. It does let me use all the radios. The config does survive the reboot. The current problem is the wifi performance is terrible. On previous posts @Nico1320 shared some whw03v2 files that seem to have improved the wifi performance according to user tsaranora and sunonion.

Could someone share how can we get those files for the V1? or share the code that need to be updated for the compile to properly address this wifi performance issue for the v1?

Found the method to get the board.bin files for the wifi issue in this same topic . After following the process described there using the factory firmware as source, the wifi issue is solved apparently :slight_smile:. Now I just need to figure how to setup vlans on the eth0 or eth1 to get my use case ready. Any pointers are appreciated.

Can you post a link to which download you used? I tried several in the past and all of them had some kind of issue.

I manually compiled the branch remotes/origin/whw03-21.02-fix because indeed all the ones available for download had some issue. I just followed the build system guide and then the usage process using the git and steps described by @flipy

# Download and update the sources
git clone https://github.com/flipy/openwrt.git
cd openwrt
git pull

# Select a specific code revision
git checkout remotes/origin/whw03-21.02-fix

# Update the feeds
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a

# Configure the firmware image and the kernel
make menuconfig

#choose IPQ40xx and Linksys WHW03 as target
#select packages LuCi -- ssl with nginx

make -j $(nproc) kernel_menuconfig

# Build the firmware image
make -j $(nproc) defconfig download clean world

Note that the partitions seem to be off still in this version since less than a 100MB are writable. Config save do survive the reboot, but install packages will fail, you will need to add them during the menuconfig part and compile again if you need to add packages.

Sounds like a lot of work... Would you mind posting the result on a github or something? Seems a bit pointless that all interested people need to build from scratch.

1 Like

This is the summary .

1 Like

Feel free to create a PR and will consolidate in a single repository.
I can create a step by step guide to install.
I also created a script to create the board bin files automatically — but looks like I will have to revisit that.
Also kernel and potentially openwrt might need to be updated especially to benefit from DSA for those wanting to work with VLANs — I switched to another provider for this exact reason.
Other tasks in my to do were make Bluetooth and ZigBee.

2 Likes

Could someone please clarify how to extract the board files from the stock firmware? (as mentioned here).

Image signatures:

> binwalk --signature FW_WHW03_2.1.20.211186_prod.img
DECIMAL       HEXADECIMAL     DESCRIPTION
0             0x0             Flattened device tree, size: 2674920 bytes, version: 17
228           0xE4            Linux kernel ARM boot executable zImage (little-endian)
14119         0x3727          xz compressed data
14340         0x3804          xz compressed data
2635732       0x2837D4        Flattened device tree, size: 37882 bytes, version: 17
6291456       0x600000        UBI erase count header, version: 1, EC: 0x0, VID header offset: 0x800, data offset: 0x1000

Extract the image
> binwalk -e FW_WHW03_2.1.20.211186_prod.img

I then end up with a bunch of files that I don't know what to do with:

> ls _FW_WHW03_2.1.20.211186_prod.img.extracted/
3727.xz  3804  3804.xz  600000.ubi

The .xz files don't seem to be valid archive files.
Any suggestions on what to do next to access the ath10k board files for QCA4019 / QCA9888?

Do anyone have a file for WHW03V2?

I cannot download the file from this link. It shows 502 error.

Thx.

Reporting back little late: I haven't seen any Wi-Fi performance issues since I flashed my WHW03 V2 nodes with @Nico1320's snapshot (OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r0+16558-49a3d5356e / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-22.135.62129-7387ec8) on July. I'm using these as Wi-FI APs only - connecting wireless clients to fixed network, APs connect with ethernet to local network switch as clients and forward all requests (DHCP, DNS etc.) to main firewall/router (now OPNSense).

I had DNS forwarding issue with nodes at first with older Linksys WRT3200 running quite new OpenWrt-build as router/firewall, but it had nothing to do with WHW03 V2's since with same AP-configuration they work without problems with custom build OPNSense-device.

I personally see no reason why these WHW03 V2 current builds wouldn't meet "stable-release" requirements, at least on my case. I'm mainly interested getting official OpenWrt community security patches to these builds.

Do you think these devices can be someday included in official support? How long road? :slight_smile:

I built a v22.03.2 release for WHW03v2 here. WiFi will be off by default so you will need a wired connection to enable it.

1 Like

Thank you.

But I got problem that after flashing firmware, I cannot get into 192.168.1.1.

So, I tried reboot the router but the only solid blue light turns on , it's not working at all.
I think it's bricked. How do I solve it? I already tried toggling the power switch three times, but it doesnt work for me

ssh or http?

Only one of the 2 ethernet ports seems to be enabled by default (the one without the line above it). Check you get an IP address assigned and you should be able to access the config screen through 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/

1 Like

both of them did not work.

I fixed it by changing ip manually.