Builds for Linksys WHW03 V2 + V1

It should but I can't test it myself since the Hynix version doesn't boot

You can install packages afterwards.

Base build includes LuCi to manage the device.

When do you think the issue with Hynix and how openwrt doesn’t work with it will be fixed because it doesn’t boot for me.

Hi @flipy, thanks for working on making openwrt work on whw03 devices!

I have a bunch of V2 here and I wanted to change the firmware to OpenWRT. I'm not equipped to do it via serial, so I wanted to use the WebUI to do it. I have tried several builds (0.0.3-2 and 0.0.7) from your github release page, but I can't make it work. I either get a solid red light (and then nothings happen) or a solid blue light, it looks like the same issue mentionned here.

What build should I take to make this work? And what is the exact process?

Thanks a lot!

Can someone please summarize current status or point me to it?
I have 3 v2 boxes:

1. does mesh work?
  2. Similar range and other functionality to oe?
  3. Most/all functionality as expected?
  4. Can you relatively easily flash back to oe if wanted /needed?

Thanks much!

• List item
1 Like

Hi all,
I'm new to OpenWRT and would like to use it on several Linksys Velop WHW03v1 devices.
I got it running and did some basic configuration.
Biggest problem I have at this time is that all settings get lost during reboot/power loss. Any ideas what's causing this and how to solve it?
I installed using the https://github.com/flipy/openwrt/releases/download/whw03-0.0.7/openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_whw03-squashfs-factory.bin image with the CA method.

Hey all,

I'm also new to OpenWRT. I've been looking for any custom firmware options for a small pile of different Linksys Velop devices I have.

I think have four VLP01 and three VLP02 and three VLP03 which means I have some extras. I'd like to put several of these to work, but devs who need hardware should PM me. (I guess? Is that how things work around here? @flipy , need any hardware? )

I'm also wondering what the overall status is, but I'm still reading back on this thread (and OpenWRT too, honestly).

WHW03v1 +v0.0.7/openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_whw03-squashfs-factory

Firmware boots with three radios.

@flipy unable to save the config

I'm interested in that too. I've got my hands on 5 of those V2 Velops and wonder if I can use them without that creepy OEM FW.

While waiting for a better working version I'd like to know how to restore the Linksys firmware.
Power off/on multiple times doesn't change anything and the firmware can't be loaded in the OpenWRT update form. Luckely I only flashed 1 of the Velop's so I still have 3 others operational.

ssh to your velop and run
fw_printenv boot_part ( output should be: boot_part=2)
then run
fw_setenv boot_part 1
reboot
It should boot into the Linksys partition.
Unfortunately, I haven't found out the way back without flashing the OpenWRT firmware again.

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately it doesn't work. After the commands and the reboot OpenWRT is booted. The fw_printenv command shows that boot_part 1 is selected:

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-29 103848

Any other options to restore the Velop firmware? Or, find out why the OpenWRT settings are not saved over reboot?

Then set it to 2 and reboot
fw_setenv boot_part 2
if you still boot to openWRT and the command w_printenv boot_part is showing boot_part=2, you most likely have overwritten both partitions with OpwnWRT as I did :slight_smile:

That will be the case. It was at 2 before I changed it to 1.
I think something went wrong during a restore. I tried OpenWRT, didn't work as expected because of the settings getting lost. Then interrupted the boot process several times to restore the Velop firmware. That worked. Then I tried again flashing OpenWRT. Since then I can't recover in the Velop firmware.

So you have the same situation as I? Are your settings saved over reboot?

Yes, as I did switch back to v06 of the image. This one does not lose the config after reboot.
To get radio 0 working, I've replaced the board files manually. Unfortunately, this does not work for all of my Velops. I had to reset two and can't get radio 0 working even using the same board files as on the one which is working. Not sure what I did wrong.

Which one of https://github.com/flipy/openwrt/releases/ do you mean?
Can I upload them with the OpenWRT upload page?

I got the "Fix boot counter" version running. All radio's worked instantly :slight_smile:
Will have one in test for several days before I try it on the other 3 Velop's.

Next thing will be to find out how I can update the kernel package. All VPN packages complain about the kernel being not compatible.
My goal is to have 3 Velop's at home in a custom setup where I can decide which node does what (not like the plug and play setup of Velop) and 1 Velop to take a with us on vacation. For the last one I'd like it to automatically set up an VPN to my home so I can enjoy securely my nas, pihole etc while on vacation.

I can do whatever I want, but I can't get radio 0 working on the once I've recently flashed. Seems there are different v1 on the market, or I'm continuously doing the same mistake.

Just had a mind flash. The board files are region-related and it seems, I'm using the once from US. Once I set the region for radio 0 to US...volĂĄ... it's coming up :slight_smile:
Maybe this helps someone having similar problems.