Build recommendation for WRT3200ACM?

Alternatively, simply mark your code-block, then apply "Preformatted text" in the editor (symbol: </>)

1 Like

Yes im using pppoe with my ISP but my (V)DSL connection is stable for over 36 days.
Never had problems with pppoe... btw a random reboot happend again, about 5 mins ago.
I really need to flash a new image tonight ! Hopefully it will fix my problems... :confused:

Since a reboot wipes the system log, you may want to enact a way to log the system log remotely, either via a syslog server (comes in quite handing if running more than one BSD/Linux device), or configuring a cron job/script to first cat the system log to external storage, then a second command to tail the system log to external storage

• logread > /mnt/sda1/sys.log && logread -f >> /mnt/sda1/sys.log

I'm on hnyman’s build now. (lede-r5645-7aa15953e1-20171230-1916)
Everything is working so far but the wifi performance is quite bad and DFS isn't working (auto).
Only channel 36 seems to be avalible and if i try to select another channel the wifi interface wont come up again... Wireless is disabled or not associated

But to be honest the wifi performance was also bad with david's build. Specialy the 2.4ghz range was ultra bad. Even my old RT-N16 has better range and speed.
Maybe i got a faulty wifi unit in my WRT3200 ? I get -54 dBm signal quality when i'm right next to the router.

I feel bad and im done for tonight... :frowning:

there's a bug with DFS, don't touch the country from what is detected by default, if you changed, remove the entries or delete the wifi file and reboot
near the router
on an intel N card I get upto 100Mb/s on 2.4 and upto 190Mb/s on 5 (internal iperf)
on an AC mobile (speedtest) ~250 up/down

Haven't touched the country settings...
I allready read that at github...
Channel 36 was preset in GUI from the beginning and i cant change it without loosing wifi...

What signal quality do you get near the router ?
Btw before i flashed the new build i went back to Linksys partition and the wifi was even worst...
I couldn't even get a signal.

For me it's like this... i do get 35-40mbps with my old RT-N16@ 2.4ghz (in my room ~10-12m away from the router) and just 8-12mbps with the WRT3200.
And in my garden i do get at least a decent signal to watch videos on the internet (12-13mbps) with my RT-N16 and the WRT3200 wont even connect or will loose the signal right after connecting.

I think something is really wrong with my router...

I could very well be mis-remembering, however, at least up until several months back, there were issues with the 3200ACM's wifi drivers from Marvell. I would recommend reading the note regarding the 3200ACM on kaloz's GitHub, at the bottom of the readme.

• Verify the wifi driver that's installed: opkg list-installed | grep mwlwifi
    • You can also compile the driver yourself (see Source Code in the WRT AC Series Wiki)

If neither resolves the issue, open a bug report with kaloz

Someone reported at the official Linksys forum that it helped when he reflashed the official firmware, did a reset and than flashed OpenWRT/LEDE again.
Could that help with my range/wifi problems ? It doesnt make much sense for me...

Are the standard Antennas of the Linksys that bad ?
I mean my RT-N16 is over 8 years old and it's still doing a better job in terms of range and speed @2.4ghz !

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed | grep mwlwifi
    kmod-mwlwifi - 4.9.72+10.3.4.0-20171214-1

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/info

driver name: mwlwifi
chip type: 88W8964
hw version: 7
driver version: 10.3.4.0-20171214
firmware version: 0x09030202
power table loaded from dts: no
firmware region code: 0x30
mac address: 60:38:e0
2g: disable
5g: enable
antenna: 4 4
irq number: 45
ap macid support: 0000ffff
sta macid support: 00010000
macid used: 00000003
radio: enable
iobase0: e1080000
iobase1: e1300000
tx limit: 1024
rx limit: 16384

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/mwlwifi/info

driver name: mwlwifi
chip type: 88W8964
hw version: 7
driver version: 10.3.4.0-20171214
firmware version: 0x09030202
power table loaded from dts: no
firmware region code: 0x30
mac address: 60:38:e0
2g: enable
5g: disable
antenna: 4 4
irq number: 46
ap macid support: 0000ffff
sta macid support: 00010000
macid used: 00000001
radio: enable
iobase0: e1480000
iobase1: e1700000
tx limit: 1024
rx limit: 16384

You are running the most recent driver, however I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with in depth troubleshooting of WiFi, beyond what I put in the Flashing Firmware Synopsis.

• I don't know precisely why it helps resolve issues, but flashing OEM to the partition(s), then flashing LEDE again, does help resolve miscellaneous issues.

• You will need to allow the OEM firmware to fully boot, which takes ~3min, and you'll know it's fully booted when you can access the Linksys WebUI (this must be done twice if reflashing both partitions).
  • Just a general FYI: It's likely the WRT AC Series will always have issues with the WiFi driver (at least minor ones), as Linksys jumped the gun, advertising the WRT AC Series as opensource ready when Marvell hadn't fully signed off on this (which is why it wasn't until a year after the release of the original WRT1900AC that a stable-ish WiFi driver was had).

• Either way, I would recommend filing a bug report with kaloz, as he's the official maintainer for the Marvell mwlwifi driver.

this is the signal output in idle in a flat through concrete walls with iron bars in them, not so friendly with wifi signal. 5m from the router, on 40Mhz for 2.4 I get a bit higher speed
after the latest 2 official commit from kaloz github the wifi signal is stable, my phones used to crash it regularly

Guys this is really driving me crazy !
I thought the WRT3200 would be a great device, at least on par with my 8 years old RT-N16 in terms of wifi (2.4ghz).
But that doesnt seems to be the case... Its really frustrating that i have to run my "old" rt-n16 just to get a decent wifi signal at my garden. :frowning:

I will try to flash official Linksys again, wait 3 mins, factory reset it, wait 5 mins and than i will reflash Lede/Openwrt.

I'm allready thinking of buying these High gain Antennas of Linksys, but to be honest to dont want to give these guys more money at the moment... I'm very dissapointed of Linksys !

Maybe i should open the device and look for anything "loose" with the Wifi adapters ?
Anyway it seems that Marvel wifi is really bad ! Why they didnt't took Atheros chipsets for the wifi ? Probably a money question for Linksys/Belkin...

singal1

As mentioned numerous times, please file a bug report on kaloz's gitub, as that is the appropriate place for WiFi bug issues on the WRT AC Series.

• Also, you dB levels are way too low and should be ~20 - 30dB higher.

• If there are large appliances, especially ones utilizing 220/240v, microwaves, fridges, etc., in between the router and it's clients, this will cause a major drop in signal

• WiFi channel should not be set to auto.

• Each 2.4gHz channel will need to be tested to determine which one offers the best signal and throughput, and while scanning can provide an idea on what channels to use, the channels still need to be test.

• 5gHz channel should preferably be in the 150s (in the US, 157 is generally the best). If residing outside the US, test the highest channels your country authorizes for use.

• The router should ideally be placed in the center of your house/apt, away from metal/concrete (including walls with metal studs).

• As mentioned in the WRT AC Series wiki (Flashing Firmware - Synopsis) linked to earlier, a client with LuCI - Network - Wireless loaded should be placed close to the router and the four antennas should be adjusted until the client shows dB levels in the mid 60s or lower.

As to the high gain antennas, I would verify with Linksys prior to buying them, as they're likely the same antennas (slightly different aesthetic) that come with the WRT AC Series.

For coverage 2.4 is the best option, 5 is only good in close proximity.
From my experience 1043nd series has the best coverage on 2.4 especially the v1. You won't find a good coverage router on 5 ghz no matter the vendor

And what should i report ?
"Bad 2.4ghz wifi performance and coverage compared to my 8 years old Asus RT-N16@Broadcom chipset ?"

root@OpenWrt:~# iw phy0 info
Wiphy phy0
        max # scan SSIDs: 4
        max scan IEs length: 2247 bytes
        max # sched scan SSIDs: 0
        max # match sets: 0
        max # scan plans: 1
        max scan plan interval: -1
        max scan plan iterations: 0
        Retry short limit: 7
        Retry long limit: 4
        Coverage class: 0 (up to 0m)
        Device supports T-DLS.
        Available Antennas: TX 0 RX 0
        Supported interface modes:
                 * managed
                 * AP
                 * AP/VLAN
                 * monitor
        Band 2:
                Capabilities: 0x186f
                        RX LDPC
                        HT20/HT40
                        SM Power Save disabled
                        RX HT20 SGI
                        RX HT40 SGI
                        No RX STBC
                        Max AMSDU length: 7935 bytes
                        DSSS/CCK HT40
                Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
                Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 4 usec (0x05)
                HT TX/RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-23, 32
                VHT Capabilities (0x33837976):
                        Max MPDU length: 11454
                        Supported Channel Width: 160 MHz
                        RX LDPC
                        short GI (80 MHz)
                        short GI (160/80+80 MHz)
                        SU Beamformer
                        SU Beamformee
                        RX antenna pattern consistency
                        TX antenna pattern consistency
                VHT RX MCS set:
                        1 streams: MCS 0-9
                        2 streams: MCS 0-9
                        3 streams: MCS 0-9
                        4 streams: not supported
                        5 streams: not supported
                        6 streams: not supported
                        7 streams: not supported
                        8 streams: not supported
                VHT RX highest supported: 0 Mbps
                VHT TX MCS set:
                        1 streams: MCS 0-9
                        2 streams: MCS 0-9
                        3 streams: MCS 0-9
                        4 streams: not supported
                        5 streams: not supported
                        6 streams: not supported
                        7 streams: not supported
                        8 streams: not supported
                VHT TX highest supported: 0 Mbps
                Frequencies:
                        * 5180 MHz [36] (20.0 dBm)
                        * 5200 MHz [40] (20.0 dBm)
                        * 5220 MHz [44] (20.0 dBm)
                        * 5240 MHz [48] (20.0 dBm)
                        * 5260 MHz [52] (20.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5280 MHz [56] (20.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5300 MHz [60] (20.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5320 MHz [64] (20.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5500 MHz [100] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5520 MHz [104] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5540 MHz [108] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5560 MHz [112] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5580 MHz [116] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5600 MHz [120] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5620 MHz [124] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5640 MHz [128] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5660 MHz [132] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5680 MHz [136] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5700 MHz [140] (27.0 dBm) (radar detection)
                        * 5720 MHz [144] (disabled)
                        * 5745 MHz [149] (disabled)
                        * 5765 MHz [153] (disabled)
                        * 5785 MHz [157] (disabled)
                        * 5805 MHz [161] (disabled)
        valid interface combinations:
                 * #{ AP } <= 16, #{ managed } <= 1,
                   total <= 16, #channels <= 1, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz, 160 MHz }

HT Capability overrides:
                 * MCS: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
                 * maximum A-MSDU length
                 * supported channel width
                 * short GI for 40 MHz
                 * max A-MPDU length exponent
                 * min MPDU start spacing

Higher channels @5ghz means DFS, so wont work atm... I'm from Europe.
The WRT3200acm is at the same place as my N16.
I think if anything bad would be between those routers the N16 would aslo suffer from the bad range and wifi performance.
I feel that something is wrong with the wifi of my WRT3200, or it's really that bad...
Maybe im gonne order a second one to verifiy... It doesn't get into my head that my freaking 8 years old RT-N16 outperforms this expensive and new device at 2.4ghz... :thinking:

I really just want the same range/coverage and performance at 2.4ghz like i had before with my N16.
I'm not even mad if it's not better but it should be at least on the same level imho !!

I just finished all my vlans and the network config, so i will have to set it up all over again after i return to Linksys partition to flash everything again... this router is really killing my nerves ! :wink:

Not sure what you mean by close proximity, but I can get ~300mbit/s 150' away from my WRT1900ACS, and just shy of that on a WRT1900AC V1

There was a thread on the DD-WRT forum with posts from last month where Linksys was replacing WRT3200's because of WiFi issues.

You might search for that.

Im not sure if it's just my router or if the router in generall has this bad 2.4ghz performance and coverage...

edit: i opened Issue at github, but i dont think they can or will help me over there...
We have 2 years warranty over here, so i guess im going to ask for a replacement.
I dont want to order another unit just to test and send it back after... it's so frustrating !

As I understand the current wifi woes on the rango, it is an issue with the BLOB (current and previous), so they have resorted to providing Velop or EA units to those making the most noise over there.

Although what you are describing is different than the issues described with Radio2, if you have not already done so, make sure it is disabled / removed just to rule that out as a factor.

It is disabled right now and wasn't even there when i was using david's build...
I dont have any reference (no one of my friends or neighbours is using a WRT3200acm) but i kinda think my wifi unit is faulty. Otherwise it would be a real shame for Marvel and Linksys...

Got some feedback over github, a few people told me that their 2.4ghz coverage/performance is also quite bad.
Someone told me Linksys High-Gain Antennas could help...
Well that would be another 60eur on top of the 200eur i paid for the router itself.

I'm still with hnyman's build and memory will go down as well on this build. I think it's because collectd is active from default and i haven't changed it yet...
I was running tomato before with my RT-N16 and never saw that the avalible memory would constantly keep shrinking.

root@OpenWrt:~# uptime
 17:02:00 up 1 day, 13:57,  load average: 0.05, 0.76, 0.57

root@OpenWrt:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        513188     227232     285956       2516       5632      21684
-/+ buffers/cache:     199916     313272
Swap:            0          0          0

If i remember right free memory started at 60% and now after 1 day 14h its allready down to 55%.
uptime_WRT