Build for WRT3200ACM (Discontinued)

No wifi performance issues with any of the WRT series except the WRT3200ACM due to drivers still maturing for the WiFi chipset it uses which is different from the rest.

@onja

1. Glad you fixed your bandwidth issues. It was most likely due to channel being on auto -- although I myself prefer the high channels (149 and up so that I can also select 30dB transmit). However, the signal strength being transmitted shouldn't have anything effect on bandwidth (ideally neither should the channel -- but auto always seems to cause issues, and alot of devices seem to perform better on 149 and up as well).

2. As for bufferbloat, I agree with @JDC2389, with SQM disabled, you should experience buffer bloat. And badly. On the stable and beta builds. I did until I enabled SQM.

As @JDC2389 also mentioned, look at my post from a week or two ago regarding disabling offloading by adding a line to the sqm init.d file for ever better SQM performance.

Actually the latest Brainslayer build r71791 03/30/2017 is faster on my 5GHz iperf test then LEDE builds I have run, cybrnook and davidc502 as well as Gargoyle. Coming close to stock in speed for me. Know that wireless is variable by location so this is just my experience. Never had DD-WRT out perform LEDE or Gargoyle before this build.

Regarding bufferbloat - firstly, my test was to run ping to a DNS server + doing regular Speedtest.net
I accept, it may be a wrong test, but it is where I first saw a difference between stock fw and Lede BETA (ping spikes up to 1 sec). Setting up SQM didnt help.

Now on stable, the test above immediately produced great result with stable ping (SQM disabled).

Now I discovered DSLreports test and ran it on LEDE stable - it gives me no Bufferbloat result (A+) even without SQM. With SQM enabled I have the same A+.

I guess I need to recheck on LEDE beta again.

It sounds like your ISP is handling Buffer-bloat for you. That is the only explanation as to why you would score an A or A+ on the dslreports test with SQM disabled. The only other explanation is that you are not correctly disabling/enabling SQM (which is what I believe) before your dslreports tests, since Stable vs beta branch would make absolutely no difference, and you did experience bufferbloat on the beta branch build.

Intersting, could you post the result of "tc -s qdisc" with and without sqm active, please? And two dslreports speedtests, one with and onr without SQM active would probably help to better understand the issue. Please have a look at https://forum.openwrt.org/t/sqm-qos-recommended-settings-for-the-dslreports-speedtest-bufferblat-testing/2803 for recommendations about settuin-up and running the dslreports speedtest.
But it seems that @starcms might be right and you are simply endowed with a nice unbloated downlink :wink: then all the testing will show is exactly that...

@cybrnook
I've also asked davidc (whose build I'm using atm) but would you consider setting the CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y flag to allow users to change the region of the wifi?
The 5 GHz DFS channels are completely unusable with the WRT1900ACS v2 here in Europe.
I'd really love to use these channels because as it stands I can use only a handful 5 GHz channels (which are the most crowded ones as well). But changing the region to one not as strict does not work as the eeprom region overrides anything you set without that flag.

Alternatively, a working reghack for the FR region would also be fine.

@cybrnook,

Long time without a post or an updated build. Simply taking a break, or no significant changes worth generating new builds for?

David's 4.9 build is out https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/snapshots/Kernel_4.9/targets/mvebu/generic/ if you're wanting a new good build in the meantime :slight_smile: Lede Testing SNAPSHOT r3963-7ae58be / LuCI Master (git-17.102.50675-fa6dc64)

@starcms @JDC2389

Sorry I have been quiet. Work this year at my company (Large automotive) has been very very busy this year. I work as an SAP architect for my company, and we have 4 different, major projects all running in parallel which is very demanding on me. My spare time at home I am trying to spend with the wife as much as possible, or just getting the house work done :slight_smile:

As far as the builds go, I have sold off most of my WRT units, but still have the 3200 and a 1200, though I am actively using an Asus RT-AC68P router at the moment. So, I haven't given much time to this build. I can still build for it (as my templates are pretty much on cruise control) of course, but I like to test the builds before publishing. Though..... if I think about it, build-bot doesn't test :slight_smile: I will work on pushing an updated build this weekend for you guys, but I think my publish cycle will be low. At least until a working driver for the 3200 comes out (Part of my frustration towards the WRT line as a whole, and why I have all but switched off of it...). As a wise woman once said, "Ain't nobody got time fo dat!"

1 Like

Yeah man you do you, wifi has been lackluster on this series and I don't begrudge ye for not wanting to spend time making router firmware releases as it's a rather boring/time consuming subject eh? I've enjoyed the builds so far, thanks again and I'll be checking randomly for releases every once in awhile.

@cybrnook
Understand your pain with the WRT's. Especially the wrt3200acm. Not sure what Linksys/Marvell were thinking when they published the crap wifi driver. Been thinking about selling the wrt1900ac v1, especially since LEDE folks are having reboot issues with them and the latest builds. Still have a wrt1900acs v1 on shelf for now as a backup and a wrt3200acm I picked up dirt cheap on Ebay. Guy was frustrated with 3rd party builds and wanted to dump it. So cheap I would not have pulled the trigger if his profile was not so clean and sold other stuff, so figured legit and was.

So far brainslayer dd-wrt has run better for me in my environment then LEDE. Both your builds and davidc502.s.

Retired now but remember the fun crunch days. Difference was working as an IBM SE on proposals with a dead line that the marketing folks did not share and in my position of Advisory SE with many different marketing reps to support there were always surprises. Lots of late nights getting things just right for morning meeting.

1 Like

hi cybrnook i have few questions

1. can i use qos/ sqm qos together ?
  2. i have 250/30 speed connection yet when i im trying to download a movie to my phone from my ftp server the upload speed is slow. ?
  3. how can i keep all pakages when upgrading ?

Hi aniel,

I am not @cybrnook, but I think I can answer that: in theory you can concurrently use sqm-scripts and qos-scripts as long as you do not instantiate them on the same interface. Whether that makes sense in practice depends on the problem you want to solve...

thank you very much

@cybrnook

LEDE 17.01.1 is out. LEDE v17.01.1 service release

Any chance for a new stable build when you have the time?

@cybrnook,

Also a new mwlwifi driver has been released, version 20170421. It has a significant amount of commits as compared to 0110 and some fixes for the WRT3200ACM as well.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commits/master

I just noticed in my WRT3200ACM build that the new wifi driver 20170421 makes the wifi LEDs to work. I have no wifi LED configuration in /etc/config/system, but wifi LEDs properly blink with activity. They are initially dark, but once there is traffic they start to blink and stay lit.

Absolutely, I will cook up two new builds tomorrow to bring it up to current and to get the new wifi drivers. Not a problem!

Over on the DDWRT side, users are reporting no wireless/config tab with the new image that is supposed to include the new wireless driver. Anything like that happening with LEDE?