Build for WNDR3700v1/v2 / WNDR3800 (discontinued)

Hi @hnyman !
Thank you a lot for your work! I have just updated to your latest stable build of 18.06 and it works like a charm!
I would like to propose you to consider for your next build to include packages to let possible DNS-over-HTTPS or at teast DNS-over-TLS. Guess the community will support this as well.

You should be able to install those package with opkg, as they likely have no kernel components.

Faced the issue on WNDRMACv2 on previous owrt1806 release.
Works fine with owrt1806-r7012 build. Thanks for the fix!

Seems like I've faced another issue with LUCI. It shows available wireless radio channels for default country code (US) after reboot.
How to reproduce:

1. At default, there is US country code for 2.4GHz Wireless radio and 1-11 available channels.
  2. Choose another country code - RU, for example, on Advanced tab. Save and Apply. Channel dropdown list updated with additional 12 and 13 channels.
  3. Reboot router. Country code is RU, but only 1-11 channels available in the list.

Same for 5GHz radio. Channel range 100-130 forbidden in RU. But they are shown for RU country code after reboot.

Minor issue. If you select, for example, 100 channel and set RU country code in one run. Then WLAN can't be enabled. hostappd fails due to incorrect settings. Have to kill process manually and set correct Channel/Region values and Apply again in order to make it up. Not big deal, but LUCI allows to set incorrect values.

There is nothing build-specific about those wifi aspects in my build, so you are either seeing a config-specific problem, or a system-wide bug.

Understand. Just FYI in case you have a chance to talk with LUCI dev team.
Thanks for your job done!

In the end the devs wanted a bit different solution to the TFTP factory image acceptance: a shorter ID in the Netgear header (instead of shorter git revision). Hopefully that works too. (worked for me when I tested it two weeks ago. The patch has been in master and 18.06 for the last week.)

Sorry it isn't entirely clear but is this based on kernel 4.14?

Thanks!

No. My build is based on ar71xx, still on kernel 4.9
There is some initial support for wndr3800 in ath79, but e.g. wifi does not work yet.

Hello and thanks for the great work on the builds, hnyman.

I've recently installed the openwrt build but that seems to cause problems. (opkg update does not connnect for example). So I switched back to the lede 1701 build. I use the Wndrd3700v2 router. However my usb connected printer has stopped working, unfortunately. I installed the additional ackages the same as before: opkg --force-depends install kmod-usb-printer p910nd luci-app-p910nd luci-app-wifischedule

This is the build: WNDR3700v2-lede1701-r3896-6eec0e46ed-20180527-1211-sqfs-sysupgrade

With dmesg I get the following (usb-related) output:

] block: attempting to load /tmp/jffs_cfg/upper/etc/config/fstab
[   13.935789] block: extroot: not configured
[   14.048090] jffs2: notice: (417) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete buildi                                                                                                             ng xattr subsystem, 0 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 0 of xref (0 dead, 0                                                                                                              orphan) found.
[   14.065927] mount_root: loading kmods from internal overlay
[   14.080294] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /ehci-hcd.ko
[   14.088823] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /ehci-platform.ko
[   14.097844] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /ext4.ko
[   14.106019] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /jbd2.ko
[   14.114150] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /mbcache.ko
[   14.122816] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /ohci-hcd.ko
[   14.131332] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /ohci-platform.ko
[   14.140356] kmodloader: failed to open /tmp/overlay/upper/lib/modules/4.4.132                                                                                                             /usb-storage.ko
[   14.170387] kmodloader: loading kernel modules from /tmp/overlay/upper/etc/mo                                                                                                             dules-boot.d/*
[   14.191607] kmodloader: done loading kernel modules from /tmp/overlay/upper/e                                                                                                             tc/modules-boot.d/*
[   14.374755] block: attempting to load /tmp/jffs_cfg/upper/etc/config/fstab
[   14.384541] block: extroot: not configured
[   14.390139] mount_root: switching to jffs2 overlay
[   14.414320] urandom-seed: Seeding with /etc/urandom.seed
[   14.517347] eth0: link down
[   14.531113] procd: - early -
[   14.534079] procd: - watchdog -
[   14.986319] random: jshn: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 24 bits o                                                                                                             f entropy available)
[   15.152316] random: jshn: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 24 bits o                                                                                                             f entropy available)
[   15.232984] procd: - watchdog -
[   15.236939] procd: - ubus -
[   15.515224] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 25 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)
[   15.537314] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 25 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)
[   15.680559] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 25 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)
[   16.099996] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 26 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)
[   16.109406] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 26 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)
[   16.118445] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 26 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)
[   16.127774] random: ubusd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 26 bits                                                                                                              of entropy available)

Any ideas what could have gone wrong with this build or how to fix it?

opkg --force-depends install kmod-usb-printer p910nd luci-app-p910nd luci-app-wifischedule
Any ideas what could have gone wrong with this build or how to fix it?

"force-depends" means that install it the package disregarding kernel incompatibility.
Apparently there really is incompatibility, so you need to remove the kmod package.

You can do that with opkg.
Or you can reset the router with "firstboot" that removes all packages and settings

Thanks, that is unfortunate. I guess I will be using my old printserver for the time being and hope the repositories for the openwrt printserver will get updated at some point.

The problem with this is likely the kernel differences. Check your kernel revision in LuCI and /overlay/upper/lib/modules/... and possibly symlink if it's still 4.4 based (I forget what it is on 17.01-Hnyman. It's a bit rogue, but if the kernel is a fairly stable-current revision, then you'll be fine. If it's kernel 4.9 based, I'm afraid you'll have to build the modules manually.

Can you add kmod-wireguard to the openwrt-18.06 build please?

I tried force installing it (the kernel version looked the same) and it bricked my router. Fortunately I was able to unbrick in failsafe mode by reflashing.

Alternatively, if I want to use the button scripts in the official builds, can I just copy them from your build's /etc/rc.button/ and chmod +x them?

Thx await your good news 4.14 has Nat offload which greatly improve Nat performance

Sorry forgot to mention I'm on WNDR4300

I made a "ath79" test build for 3700v2 and 3800 with kernel 4.14.
(but not yet for 3700 v1)

The build "ath79-kernel4.14-master-test" can be found in the download dir.

The test build has kernel 4.14, so kernel flow offloading should be possible.

• wifi works. (but phy0 and phy1 may get reversed)
  • wifi does not work on the first boot after flash, but will work on later reboots
  • MAC address handling is done at user-space, so the setting gets created at firstboot in /etc/config/network

Note that based on recent discussion in https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1258#issuecomment-412066495 it sounds like WAN works only at 1000 Mbit/s and crashes at 100 Mbit/s.

ath79 discussion can be found in Is anybody working on linux 4.14 for ar71xx platform? Porting guide to ath79?

Hi,

I'm trying to install Kernel modules like kmod-usb-net-rndis via opkg. But I'm always getting an error that there is a version mismatch, whereas the Kernel versions does match the module version.

How to I add Kernel modules to these builds? I tried to use latest master and latest OpenWRT 18.06 builds for WNDR3700v2.

newpipe

You can't install kernel modules to private builds due to strict kernel version/option checksum logic. For additional modules, you need to either compile the whole firmware by yourself, or use the official release.

However, it is possible to override checksum in opkg command line, but that is risky and may soft-brick the device. As I compile my build with default kernel options, the kmod .ipks from download repo will likely work (despite the dependency error). The option is --force-depends, i.e. "opkg install --force-depends XXXX.ipk"

Hi everyone, I have a question about the WAN led colour.

Until few days ago I had the WNDR3700v2 connected (WAN port) to the router provided by the glass fiber provider. The WAN led (the world icon) was blue.
Now I skipped the provided router and I connected the WNDR3700v2 to a Netgear switch (I needed it to split the two VLANs the glass fiber is carrying).
Internet works well as it did earlier, but now the WAN led on the WNDR3700v2 is yellow.

What's the difference? I can tell you that now the link speed between WNDR3700v2 and Netgear switch is 1 Gbps, but the upstream glass fiber shows 100 Mbps in the Netgear router.

I cannot see any other difference.

Is the WAN led blue vs yellow only affected by the upstream link speed?

Thanks

master-r8311-f00cb94f7c-20181011

ar71xx has finally been bumped to use kernel 4.14, so flow offloading should be possible also here. Should increase throughput somewhat (if SQM is not needed). I have not yet tested it.