Build for WNDR3700v1/v2 / WNDR3800 (discontinued)

opkg --force-depends install kmod-usb-printer p910nd luci-app-p910nd luci-app-wifischedule
Any ideas what could have gone wrong with this build or how to fix it?

"force-depends" means that install it the package disregarding kernel incompatibility.
Apparently there really is incompatibility, so you need to remove the kmod package.

You can do that with opkg.
Or you can reset the router with "firstboot" that removes all packages and settings

Thanks, that is unfortunate. I guess I will be using my old printserver for the time being and hope the repositories for the openwrt printserver will get updated at some point.

The problem with this is likely the kernel differences. Check your kernel revision in LuCI and /overlay/upper/lib/modules/... and possibly symlink if it's still 4.4 based (I forget what it is on 17.01-Hnyman. It's a bit rogue, but if the kernel is a fairly stable-current revision, then you'll be fine. If it's kernel 4.9 based, I'm afraid you'll have to build the modules manually.

Can you add kmod-wireguard to the openwrt-18.06 build please?

I tried force installing it (the kernel version looked the same) and it bricked my router. Fortunately I was able to unbrick in failsafe mode by reflashing.

Alternatively, if I want to use the button scripts in the official builds, can I just copy them from your build's /etc/rc.button/ and chmod +x them?

Thx await your good news 4.14 has Nat offload which greatly improve Nat performance

Sorry forgot to mention I'm on WNDR4300

I made a "ath79" test build for 3700v2 and 3800 with kernel 4.14.
(but not yet for 3700 v1)

The build "ath79-kernel4.14-master-test" can be found in the download dir.

The test build has kernel 4.14, so kernel flow offloading should be possible.

• wifi works. (but phy0 and phy1 may get reversed)
  • wifi does not work on the first boot after flash, but will work on later reboots
  • MAC address handling is done at user-space, so the setting gets created at firstboot in /etc/config/network

Note that based on recent discussion in https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1258#issuecomment-412066495 it sounds like WAN works only at 1000 Mbit/s and crashes at 100 Mbit/s.

ath79 discussion can be found in Is anybody working on linux 4.14 for ar71xx platform? Porting guide to ath79?

Hi,

I'm trying to install Kernel modules like kmod-usb-net-rndis via opkg. But I'm always getting an error that there is a version mismatch, whereas the Kernel versions does match the module version.

How to I add Kernel modules to these builds? I tried to use latest master and latest OpenWRT 18.06 builds for WNDR3700v2.

newpipe

You can't install kernel modules to private builds due to strict kernel version/option checksum logic. For additional modules, you need to either compile the whole firmware by yourself, or use the official release.

However, it is possible to override checksum in opkg command line, but that is risky and may soft-brick the device. As I compile my build with default kernel options, the kmod .ipks from download repo will likely work (despite the dependency error). The option is --force-depends, i.e. "opkg install --force-depends XXXX.ipk"

Hi everyone, I have a question about the WAN led colour.

Until few days ago I had the WNDR3700v2 connected (WAN port) to the router provided by the glass fiber provider. The WAN led (the world icon) was blue.
Now I skipped the provided router and I connected the WNDR3700v2 to a Netgear switch (I needed it to split the two VLANs the glass fiber is carrying).
Internet works well as it did earlier, but now the WAN led on the WNDR3700v2 is yellow.

What's the difference? I can tell you that now the link speed between WNDR3700v2 and Netgear switch is 1 Gbps, but the upstream glass fiber shows 100 Mbps in the Netgear router.

I cannot see any other difference.

Is the WAN led blue vs yellow only affected by the upstream link speed?

Thanks

master-r8311-f00cb94f7c-20181011

ar71xx has finally been bumped to use kernel 4.14, so flow offloading should be possible also here. Should increase throughput somewhat (if SQM is not needed). I have not yet tested it.

One user reported that 4.14 actually was slower than 4.9 on his ar71xx (haven't benchmarked myself) so you probably wont see much of an improvement unless you're using flow offloading which may even it out.

Yes, build for wndr3700v2 from ath79 target works very well, but on new kernels ( > 4.14.68) wifi leds not works, so better is forgot new target and works on old ar71xx.

I am having no issues with the new kernel so far. The only thing I've noticed is with a WNDR3700v1 router which reproducible is not reachable via webinterface after update. Although I can reach it via ssh connection. When rebooting it reverts to the default IP address and to the default WifI settings. Sometimes even the password is lost. My guess is that it overwrites some of it's configuration. Probably the image is too big for the 7.5MB of internal Flash memory?

When connecting via ethernet 192.168.1.1 I can login either with the configured password or without any password and restore the configuration from a backup. After this it seems to run without any issues.

The only issues arise when updating. I always have to get it out behind the televison and connect it directly to my PC to restore the configuration.

Does anybody else have this issue? Shall I do an update without keeping settings and enter them manually after the update again?

Thanks for any advice!
nieroster

You can easily see from "df -h" is the overlay is mounted on a mtdblock, or ramdisk (tmpfs).
This is from 3700v2:

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r8379-a6d02a7572
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@router2:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 5.5M      5.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    29.1M    936.0K     28.2M   3% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock5            8.6M    388.0K      8.2M   4% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        8.6M    388.0K      8.2M   4% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

There is 8.6 MB left, and my settings etc. use 0.4 MB, leaving 8.2 free. Downscaling that to 3700v1 with 8MB instead of 16MB would mean only 0.2 MB free. If you have any additional settings crust, that can easily be consumed.

You are likely right: the image starts to be too large for v1.
I have currently only v2 and 3800, while my v1 is used by some relatives and still with a year-old version. So I am not testing v1 currently.

I can try cutting a few non-essential user-space packages away from the build, so that the image would be somewhat smaller. But likely the master with 4.14 is starting to reach the upper limits. (that is the reason why ath79 has been invented, but that is still incomplete work although the 3700v1/v2/37800 work pretty ok)

Is anybody using ext4 FS with usb drive etc.???
It is over 200kb sized package and I am not really using it yself, currently.

So that might be a target for removal.

hnyman, thnk you for your quick reply!

This is what it looks like on a WNDR3700v1, no additonal packets installed except for iputils-traceroute6:

BusyBox v1.29.3 () built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r8379-a6d02a7572
root@OpenWRT:~# df -h
tmpfs                    29.1M      1.8M     27.3M   6% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock5          576.0K    368.0K    208.0K  64% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      576.0K    368.0K    208.0K  64% /
root@OpenWRT:~#

In the Software tab it shows: Free space: 36% ( 208.00 KB ) This is probably enough to run the firmware but the update might use some temporary space too.

Can I point overlay to an external USB drive? Would this be a temporary solution?

nieroster

Hi there,

hnyman hnyman
October 26
Is anybody using ext4 FS with usb drive etc.???

Yes, I am on a 16GB USB2 stick.

It is over 200kb sized package and I am not really using it yself, currently.

Ah, then my usage is not well aligned...

So that might be a target for removal.

Well, is there any other "real"* that stays supported? I could then switch over before you drop ext4.... 

Best Regards

*) I guess I only really need long names and hardlinks

208K might be enough but just barely. If I remember right, 3 (or 4?) erase blocks (64 kB ?) are needed for overlayfs operations, so 208 kB might be just over 192 kB but below 256 kB. Makes it tight.

I have built master-r8380-6026356578-20181026-some_packages_removed that should offer 128 kB more space.

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r8380-6026356578
root@router2:~# df -h
tmpfs                    29.1M    924.0K     28.2M   3% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock5            8.7M    388.0K      8.3M   4% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        8.7M    388.0K      8.3M   4% /

No, sysupgrade is ramdisk based.

It could be a solution. search for "extroot". I have never used that myself, but should work.

To be honest, I may drop v1 from the master build and continue just with v2 and 3800, as I can test them. But v1 will still be in the 18.06 build, which is quite usable. WNDR3700v1 is getting old and small :frowning:

Yeah, I thought so that the ext4 package might be needed by some users.

The growth kernel 4.14 and the legacy device stuff in ar71xx is one of reasons, why ath79 DTS based firmware has been invented, but that is not quite ready for the mainstream, yet, I think.

Are you using the v1? or some other v2 or 3800?

Oh, I only have a lowly wndr3700v2, but thanks to your great builds, I never get around to press the turris omnia into service as main router, as I am drawn to more experimental master builts like a moth to the light :wink:
But please do not base the decision which packets to include on my usage, I will simply find another option (the reason for the usb stick was to get persistent storage for a vnstat database, back when my ISP actually threatened to charge by volume, which he never did).

Thank you so much!