Build for Netgear R7800

Yes using tftp via macOS. the only firmwares I can install so far are the recent stock and voxels firmware. Damn router :grimacing:
I will try it with an older stock one later.

You may need serial console connection to debug a boot loop. That is the only practical way to get kernel output from the early boot process.

hey,

thank you for constantly supplying us with an updated build. I also thank you for keeping the two builds because I tried the latest "new wifi driver" and I need to roll to the latest "old one" because it still has connection issues.

I am going to look into the nlbwmon issue (I still get the heavy cpu usage from it, I usually have to disable the service fully). I might also look into why USB performance is not as good as with stock firmware.

1 Like

about usb 3.0 proprietary driver?

I suppose that could be it but I would assume it should be possible to get closer to similar speeds without proprietary drivers and such. Especially given that apparently the DD-WRT fw gets much better speeds then us.

DD wrt Can use proprietary driver due to ancient kernel

Yes, there are some issues with the CT-fw still but it's getting there.
You can always replace the firmware-5.bin under /lib/firmware manually with the latest offical one if you want.

my internet speed is 300M
but i setup owrt1806-r7655-7f98cd8d50-20190120
speed down to 200M

why?

Did you try to enable flow offloading?

flow_offloading

ok i try it

now i use xr500 to r7800 firmware
i feel so good

thx your reply

Hi. I currently using LEDE Reboot 17.01-SNAPSHOT r3879-afa8873887 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-18.118.20919-cfba791) and Kernel version is 4.4126. It's been so long time since I haven't been read this forum for months...anyway I was trying to understand this:

Note: master and 18.06 have now a larger kernel partition, so that kernel 4.14 and flow offloading is possible. You need TFTP flash once to upgrade/downgrade from one group to the other group. Sysupgrade works normally inside each of these groups:

• kernel 4.4 or 4.9: 17.01, old master builds (<r7000), plus the quite earliest 18.06 builds
  • kernel 4.14: new master builds (>r7000), new 18.06 builds

Additionally, the both master and 18.06 use now 70 MB larger area on flash, so installing more packages is possible. That was made the default for master on 7 June 2018 on the main source repo, and on 27 June on 18.06. Flashing to these new "large flash" builds need TFTP flashing, again, if you are currently running an older small 19 MB flash build (like 17.01, old 18.06 and master builds).

Does this mean I still need to use TFTP client to flashing to either master or openwrt-18.06 and after that I will be able to upgrade using sysupgrade.bin? Correct? I also had made a backup configuration so will it work with the newest firmware as when I restore a backup config into it? Secondly, anyone who have a good experience with either of those master or openwrt is more stable? I don't know which one should I upgrade to.

Yea. you need to do a tftp flash with the factory image you want to run. The master build is what I recommend.
When you successfully flashed it, you can import the settings you backed up in Luci.
I also suggest you use the old ath10k version of the image, the CT version still got issues but it looks they will be resolved soon.

Yes.
Coming from 17.01.x to 18.06.x or master requires TFTP.
But after that onetime effort you can sysupgrade freely within the current 18.06.x and master builds.

Both 18.06 and master builds are stable. I use them both intermittently.
(master ath10k-ct is still problematic for some, like shelterx says. But even the -ct wifi driver has been pretty ok lately.)

Just flashed with lastest Master r9136-f4d6e8f98f via TFTP client and then restored it with a backup config. It went very well. Thanks!

These pages are lacking information on the current support status / performance / known issues:

Would you mind to add some words there?

Just got a used R7800. Does the freshly released 18.06.2 use ath10k-ct? Does -ct still have stability issues?

• 18.06.x uses ath10k by default.
  • master (snapshots) are using ath10k-ct by default
  • the upcoming 19.01.x (well, probably 19.02.x) will use ath10k-ct instead.
  • in both cases it is possible to switch to the other implementation at runtime, using opkg
2 Likes

Sounds like ath10k-ct is considered stable enough for a 19.0x release.
What is the current recommendation for stable and well performing wifi, 18.06.2 release or master builds from this thread, either -ct or "old"? Looking for a set it and forget it for a while, I've been bruised by DDWRT recently ...

thx i use owrt1806-r7681-026f08a610-20190131
and enable flow offloading
speed up to 300/100

thx again

18.06.2 has the older ath10k and ath10k-ct code, while you can switch between them as needed (or insert newer firmware blobs from their respective upstreams at runtime), ath10k is the better tested option for 18.06.x.

For master or the upcoming 19.01.0, the situation is probably reversed.