Build for Netgear R7800

Wow that was fast.
Not sure if this is something, Should have gotten the time it happened

Wed Aug  1 19:50:03 2018 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23954]: DHCPACK(br-lan) 192.168.1.236 24:92:0e:26:c4:14 Galaxy-A5-2017
Wed Aug  1 19:50:08 2018 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA f8:16:54:56:05:db IEEE 802.11: disconnected due to excessive missing ACKs
Wed Aug  1 19:50:10 2018 kern.warn kernel: [97069.480204] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: Invalid peer id 51 peer stats buffer

hmm...router failed to come up after sysupgrade to r7729-f960490fc8, got stuck on flashing white-power light.
after a power-cycle it seemed to crash again (it had flashing white power, then went to orange power after a bit), then it came up properly. is there some persistent boot log where i can work out what went wrong? i've had this happen a couple of times before, after a sysupgrade. this is since master moved to kernel 4.14.x, before that i never had any problems.

In the script saveHNsettings.sh you put back your config.
May I ask what these files contain for which special settings?
config/dhcp (is it used for open dns?)
config/bcp38 (?)

/etc/config/dhcp contains the configuration for dnsmasq and odhcpd, you will find this on every OpenWrt device.

/etc/config/bcp38 contains the configuration for bcp38, a tool that helps you reject packets claiming to come from non-globally routable IP(v4)s from the WAN interface, without looking any further; see IETF BCP38.

There is nothing specific to hnyman's build with these files (other than the semi-automated fashion to restore his preferred configuration from an encrypted archive).

1 Like

Nothing really special. Just normal personal wifi settings, firewall settings, ssh keys etc.
Like slh said, the script just helps me to expand my settings from the encrypted archive file (/etc/HNsettings...) easily. I can't leave the settings openly there for other users of my build, and also do not want to e.g. set SQM enabled in its config for all users. Having the key settings stored that way on the flash also enables me to rather quickly recover from possible bricks.

There is no persistent log.
Boot problems happen every now and then. Have also happened earlier, I think.
The can be a bad flashing, or weak flash memory block, causing intermittent read errors.

I am adding these files to my image, because they are containing information that I don't get by the image being built by your awesome script(s):
files
└── etc
├── config
│ ├── adblock
│ ├── firewall
│ ├── fstab
│ ├── network
│ ├── sqm
│ └── wireless
├── dnsmasq.conf
└── dnsmasq.hosts

When I check the file /etc/config/dhcp there seem to be nothing "special" and it seems like I would get the same from the image in the repo / my own built image.

This is why I was wondering, why you are copying this config file /etc/config/dhcp back to your active router config.

Or is it that without that file copied over there, simply dhcp is not activated / configured for interfaces "lan", and other interfaces like "guest" that are configured in "network"? (I heavily guess the answer is yes, but I cannot check without having access to a "default image").

Because I set static DHCP allocations for several hosts.

Those are typically generated on the fly at the dnsmasq unit, mainly your normal DHCP config is just converted for dnsmasq internal format

I guess yes, you find this on every device. By default.
The question was: " what these files contain for which special settings?"

The question was in regard to the special content, that is not on every device / in every default image. Why does hnyman copy these files back to the active router config? I heavily guess it is not because of some settings that you can find on every OpenWrt device. Otherwise there would be no need to copy it back, right?

As far as I can see in my backup, it might be because of these settings to activate dhcp on guest and lan and disable it for a static IP on wan.

config dhcp 'lan'
	option interface 'lan'
	option limit '150'
	option leasetime '12h'
	option dhcpv6 'server'
	option ra 'server'
	option ra_management '1'
	option start '130'

config dhcp 'wan'
	option interface 'wan'
	option ignore '1'

config dhcp 'guest'
	option start '100'
	option leasetime '12h'
	option limit '150'
	option interface 'guest'

I needed to add and include dnsmasq.hosts to do some "static DHCP allocations for several hosts." (reroute e.g. withings.com --> internal IP)

By default, /etc/config/dhcp is identical on every OpenWrt of the same version, independent of the hardware.

But there are many reasons for configuring this for your personal environment, e.g. (quite similar to hnyman's uses):

$ grep ^config\ host   /etc/config/dhcp | wc -l
$ grep ^config\ domain /etc/config/dhcp | wc -l
$ grep ^config\ cname  /etc/config/dhcp | wc -l

...but, these settings are rather personal requirements and preferences, while you are considering the config restorations he needs for his personal router to be a bit too generic, they aren't.

The question was in regard to special settings, personal settings, settings why one would need to restore the file containing settings that do not come by default.
I was trying to figure out what else I might be missing, which of MY personal settings I might be missing in my image. This is why I asked others, in this case hnyman, for their personal = special settings.

FYI: All config restoration is supposed to be personal and NOT generic. Otherwise it is not supposed to be restored. Restore = put back = copy back from backup.
Personal settings = non generic = "special"

I am having trouble installing kmod-usb-net on hnyman's latest build. The error I'm getting is:

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-net:
 * 	kernel (= 4.14.54-1-b91d86bfcff886eb5fbdcd7a047c40f5) * 	kernel (= 4.14.54-1-b91d86bfcff886eb5fbdcd7a047c40f5) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net.

What could be wrong? Thank you.

Is it the master build, if so, you can't install kmods on that.

It is not the master build.
The build I'm using is:
openwrt-18.06 owrt1806-r7202-7d15f96eaf-20180802

You can't install kmods into private builds due strict kernel checksums.

Thanks for the reply hnyman. Is there a workaround to get USB tethering to work. If not, not a big deal.

If yo are willing to recover from brick, you might test force installing the kmods. I compile with default kernel options, so possibly the buildbot kmods are compatible. You can force then with --force-depends opkg option

But you may get crashes, or bricking, so it is risky.

I won't risk bricking the router. I can live without USB tethering. Thank you for the great build!!