Build for Netgear R7800

No ideas about pppoe changes. There is nothing build-specific, so possible things are coming from master code. I don't use pppoe , so no comments or advice.

"Unknown eventid: 36925" is a result of the firmware update, fortunately its frequency is much lower than "Invalid VHT mcs 15 peer stats" of the previous one.

Yeah, I thought it might be something like that. Possibly ath10k driver doesn't support yet all the functionality of the new firmware blob.

Driver is from last November. Would it be worth to update it against the latest git?

Feel free to propose a patch to the devs.

updating ath10k is not that simple, as it is the upstream driver plus dozens of local Openwrt/LEDE patches in https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=tree;f=package/kernel/mac80211/patches;h=67efcd502666c0453ac0d16982b93e1112444a3c;hb=HEAD

I'm sorry if I appear a bit naggy, but I can't find the latest master build (master-r6150-dc7a1e8555-20180214) in your Dropbox.

Now it is there

Thanks! =)

well now that we will have led support we need to really update it....

master-r6152-f4e5880d0f-20180215-ath10k-WIFI-5GHzLED

I uploaded a test build that has a working 5GHz LED.
No life in the 2.4 GHZ LED.

1 Like

Seeing some unexplainable High load and CPU usage from Netlink Bandwidth Monitor. Using r6022.

Issuing the command service nlbwmon restart fixed it. But given the fact that the issue started for no reason, it'll probably resurface again.

Not really an issue with hnyman's builds per se, since I've had many issues related to nlbwmon anyway.

Looks like the ath10k LED patch v8 from brainslayer works for both master and 17.01.
I have got both LEDs working after some reboots, but them working every time is not guaranteed.

I have uploaded the test builds to the download site.

The cleaned/adapted v8 patches for mac80211 are in:
master: https://gist.github.com/hnyman/d7c39e14e078e301a73a936958424eba
17.01: https://gist.github.com/hnyman/1e3bfc9d35e53351e6b4a9e4806ef2c1

Hopefully also the v9-v12 patches will work, but they may need some additional adjustments, as they introduce new config symbols inside the ath10k driver make process.

1 Like

Hello @hnyman

excuse me this question but what is the advantage of DSM or SQM? Is it necessary? Also i saw this build, does i need DSM with a fast connection?

Thank you!

Hi there. My current firmware version is OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r5882-dd975d15a7 / LuCI Master (git-18.016.69567-0fdec7a). How do I tell if whether this is either Master build or release build? I forgot. Because I haven't been updated firmware since last December. I read your "Note: Jan 2018: Recent changes in master prevent installing 17.01 sysupgrade images into a router running a master firmware, as the device/board name has changed. A 17.01 sysupgrade image can be installed by downloading the image onto router’s /tmp and using “sysupgrade -F” to override the image format check." Which is why I asked which master or release one am I using.

Also, before updating the firmware. Will it reset the configuration settings or keep the same configuration settings?

Also, I ran ssh and i did opkg update and then opkg install kmod-usb-printer, but it says cannot satisfy following dependencies. I didn't understand this part. I found out that it's rather risky if I ever try to force to install it, so I wouldn't touch it at all. Any suggestion? Thanks!

You have a master build (as no 17.01 is mentioned in the version strings).

Sysupgrading to another master build is straightforward (Luci or ssh console sysupgrade) and you can keep settings. If you want to downgrade to 17.01 builds, you need to follow the ssh console sysupgrade path (and you can keep settings).

You can't install kmods to private builds doe to kernel checksums. If you want to use that package, either use the official 17.01.4 release, or compile a personal firmware including that package.

Hi, I want to build an image based on yours, but with some additional kernel options. I read that there is supposed to be some “Kernel Hacking” submenu, but I fail to find it. What am I missing?

Never heard about "Kernel hacking" submenu...

But you might mean "make kernel_menuconfig"
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build#kernel_configuration_optional

Thx, that is what I was missing. BTW, there is a Kernel hacking submenu in there, but I think I was looking for Boot options.

Just tried to re-create you master build, but got one reject file when patching, but I do not think your patch files actually patch this one. Is it safe to ignore?

patching file package/base-files/files/bin/config_generate
patching file package/base-files/files/etc/rc.button/reset
Hunk #1 FAILED at 15.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file package/base-files/files/etc/rc.button/reset.rej
patching file package/firmware/ath10k-firmware/Makefile
patching file package/kernel/mac80211/patches/970-ath10k-QCA-LED-support.patch
patching file package/network/ipv6/6in4/files/6in4.sh

The reset button is patched to remove the wait time, no need to push 5 seconds.
Should be safe to ignore.

The source code was changed yesterday, so the few days old patch from my last build does not apply cleanly.

So, you could edit the patch to remove those patch lines, or alternatively, wait for the next build that will have new adjusted patches that again apply cleanly.

EDIT: you can use master-r6365-45fdb12258-20180303