Build for Netgear R7800

No. The original wifi status LEDs are dark.

Got it, thanks.

What is needed for us to be able to add this support. Is it a hard limitation? Or just needing to take the time to map the GPIO or triggers?

It has been discussed in the other R7800 threads here, Openwrt and ddwrt. Apparently the OEM software controls them separately, not via gpio. Likely the support will not be added in near future.

1 Like

Hello again :wink:

I use your great firmware with two R7800, one of them is a dumb AP and the other my router.

Sadly I have problems with roaming, my clients (Android devices, a macbook, windows notebooks) won't connect to the next AP. They get connected to one of them and stay with it.

Both R7800 have the same SSID and passwords configured. Following config is different on each:

Router: Connected to WAN (getting DHCP from ISP), channel 36 for 5GHz and 11 for 2,4GHz
AP: Disabled firewall, miniupnp and ddns (Should I disable dnsmasq, too?), channel 100 for 5GHz and 1 for 2,4GHz

Everything else is configured identical.

Can you give me some tips?

Google Wifi Roaming Aggressiveness Settings (ie, its your client devices configuration)

Assuming that the routers are connected via LAN ports, you should likely disable dnsmasq on the slave device "AP" and set it just to have DNS and gateway to the first main router. But I haven't tried multi-router roaming with R7800 as only have one. With my earlier ath9k WNDR3700s I also tried WDS configs, but I am not sure how that would work with ath10k drivers.

I think that it is rather typical that the wifi clients stay connected the device they first connect with.

You might ask this in a separate thread, as I don't think that this is device-specific.

That's normal. For roaming you should use 802.11r protocol.
Sample config http://pastebin.com/RxKg3php
Discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/openwrt/comments/515oea/finally_got_80211r_roaming_working/
Wiki https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless look for fast bss transition options

1 Like

While at 802.11r, could you also add 802.11w luci option please? :slight_smile:

I might, but so far I have not tried 802.11w.

But thanks for your 802.11r links. I got interested in 802.11r thanks to them and fitted my routers with that. And then went to implement the LuCI side of it. Right now the 802.11r config in Luci should be rather complete.

It is actually just the main flag plus two timeouts, right?

ieee80211w 	Enables MFP (802.11w) support (0 = disabled, 1 = optional, 2 = required).
ieee80211w_max_timeout
ieee80211w_retry_timeout

And apparently only works with ath9k and ath10k, right?
EDIT: looks like also mt76 and mwlwifi support 80211w in LEDE.

Yep, seems like most drivers support it

802.11r (and probably 802.11w) get native LUCI support in your firmware?!
Thanks nyman, you are awesome! This is the best LEDE version for the best router! :slight_smile:
Please post here when the feature is added to a release.

And thanks dissent for posting the links!

I pushed the 802.11w support to LuCI master:
https://github.com/openwrt/luci/commit/4ddb6b28168e030263bc4ee7242880b8176637b7

So far both the support for 802.11r and 802.11w is in the LuCI master, meaning that it will get automatically to the buildbot snapshots (in LEDE master and Openwrt DD trunk) and to your own firmware builds from the LuCI master. (and naturally it will be in my own next builds.)

But the support has not been backported to 17.01. If no problems are found in a few days, then maybe it gets backported before the 17.01 release (if @jow approves :wink: )

2 Likes

Nice, thanks Hannu!

My newest build lede-r3375-be4842f5de-20170209 includes
both 802.11r and 802.11w support in LuCI.

EDIT:
And 17.01 build lede1701-r3141-02515f0187-20170210 includes also backported 802.11w and 802.11r support in LuCI, plus the irqbalance utility if somebody wants to test with it.

Any idea about the Warning on fw3_ipt_rule_append below? All the settings are default since it was flash (r3375)

# /etc/init.d/firewall restart
 * Flushing IPv4 filter table
 * Flushing IPv4 nat table
 * Flushing IPv4 mangle table
 * Flushing IPv6 filter table
 * Flushing IPv6 nat table
 * Flushing IPv6 mangle table
 * Flushing conntrack table ...
 * Populating IPv4 filter table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
   * Rule 'Allow-DHCP-Renew'
   * Rule 'Allow-Ping'
   * Rule 'Allow-IGMP'
   * Rule #7
   * Rule #8
   * Forward 'lan' -> 'wan'
 * Populating IPv4 nat table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv4 mangle table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv6 filter table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
   * Rule 'Allow-DHCPv6'
   * Rule 'Allow-MLD'
   * Rule 'Allow-ICMPv6-Input'
   * Rule 'Allow-ICMPv6-Forward'
   * Rule #7
   * Rule #8
   * Forward 'lan' -> 'wan'
 * Populating IPv6 nat table
   * Zone 'lan'
Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can't find target 'prerouting_lan_rule'
Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can't find target 'postrouting_lan_rule'
   * Zone 'wan'
Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can't find target 'prerouting_wan_rule'
Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can't find target 'postrouting_wan_rule'
Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can't find target 'prerouting_rule'
Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can't find target 'postrouting_rule'
 * Populating IPv6 mangle table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Set tcp_ecn to off
 * Set tcp_syncookies to on
 * Set tcp_window_scaling to on
 * Running script '/etc/firewall.user'
 * Running script '/usr/share/miniupnpd/firewall.include'
 * Running script '/usr/lib/bcp38/run.sh'

Likely because my build includes ipv6 NAT module that is rare. Likely the fw3 does not create some helper rules for it. But I have noticed no negative effects..

Somebody opened today a bug about that. Did that triggering you to ask?
https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=500&order=id&sort=desc

I asked not because of that ticket. It is because I am happily using it and trying to modify the firewall to set up Openvpn :slight_smile:

I have native support from my ISP for IPv6. Is there any settings I can do to take out the error? Want to stay in your build instead of using the standard from buildbot

I uninstall nat6 and the 3 package start with 6 (6in4....) then restart, the error then disappeared