Build for Netgear R7800

22.03 was branched in March, so that ship sailed already half a year ago.

Ah, of course. Major stuff like DSA is not backported to a stable branch. I've been away for too long...

Hello. I got my hands on another R7800 recently. 5Ghz network working. I have cable internet 300/10 plan. I enabled SQM, although now speed test has dropped by a lot around to 120mbps from 300-330mbps. I got a speed test of 350/11 hardwired, for download I put in 330000, and upload 11000. I left the default queue discipline alone, changed link layer to Ethernet and overhead to 22. Is this to be expected the big speed difference after I apply SQM Cake?

Yes that's normal

Oh ok. Thanks for responding. I changed queue discipline to fq_codes and simple.qos, download went up to about 250mbps. Is Cake better then fq_codel? I know it’s more advanced but I’m pretty much new to OpenWRT.

Cake is more CPU hungry, as it does more computations. I use fq-codel as I get better throughput with it.

Your asymmetric 300/10 connection will be difficult, as the upload is so small compared to download.

That 11000 upload limit sounds too high. It leaves no margin for traffic variations. You might get better latency with slightly smaller limit, but that would also limit effective download a bit.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the info. It makes more sense now. I’ve set it to fq_codel and simple.qos. I put upload to 8000. I got A+ For bufferbloat test.

1 Like

It's always surprised me that "yes, the huge performance drop from stock firmware is normal" and we all accept it. :grinning:

When I first got my R7800 I only ran stock FW long enough to flash DD-WRT so I never even tried it until recently. My needs are pretty basic so I'm going to stick with it for now.

IMO, the performance hit really argues for sticking with stock FW unless there's something you absolutely need that is only offered in 3rd party FW.

Of course the lack of frequent updates opens the door to potential security issues down the line (though some may eventually be patched by a stock FW update), but it's a choice between potential security issues vs guaranteed performance hit.

2 Likes

I purchased a spare R7800 to experiment with in preparation for making the big jump from LEDE 17 to OpenWrt 22.03 on my main unit, and that includes trying different builds. Yesterday I tried flashing Kong's
22.03 build, which is pretty large and contains a lot of things I don't really need, so I pretty quickly flashed back to this build.

However I've come across something peculiar, and that is that after flashing Kong's build, there are some texts in Luci that seems to be leftover from that build no matter what I flash to, and I can't fathom why that would happen. For example, in the top menu bar (using Bootstrap theme), the topmost item under "Status", should normally be called "Overview". However, now it says "Visão Geral", no matter which build I am flashing. And also, under software installation, if I choose a package to install, in the info box it says "Cancelar" instead of "Cancel". The install button is normal.

I've obviously flashed without keeping settings, and I have also tried soft reset from the shell. I have not tried a TFTP flash of a factory image yet, as I'd like to understand how this could happen with sysupgrades.

If flashing succeeded, both sysupgrade -n or firstboot would do the job. The only other potential interference might actually be client side, namely your browser interfering (stale cache, cookies, site data, redirects) - clearing the browser cache and/ or using incognito mode might sort that.

1 Like

Thanks! You're right. It is something with the browser cache. I'm using Firefox, and apparently I can't selectively clear the cache for individual sites, so I'll have to nuke it all, unfortunately.

Not sure if that is my specific setup but since around March build roaming between access points is failing. Especially roaming with Android devices causes session to stall.
Very quick investigation suggests wpad (or one of the libraries it is dependent upon) is to blame.