Build for Netgear R7800

I'm assuming hnyman has been busy.

If you're looking for newer builds, you can always get the snapshots from openwrt's site https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=21.02.0-rc3&target=ipq806x%2Fgeneric&id=netgear_r7800

Not sure how you calculate that 26 days.
Last update in master is from 20210704, 13 days ago...

I have only updated the master during the summer holidays (as I have only been a few hours per week at home).

I will be back at home after next week, and then there will be also new 21.02 builds.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant 26 days since last post in the thread, not the last build. Sorry for the confusion.

The last 21.02 build (20210621) has been very good for me with mainline wifi driver & firmware, 26 days uptime, good performance. I'll keep my R7800 on 21.02 final when released, it is at the point where it works just fine and this is how this hardware will probably run and die until I get a WiFi 6 AP.

2 Likes

Lol no summer breaks allowed :joy:

my r7800 are rebooting every 30h :confused:

Hi all,

I just updated my R7800 with the latest OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc3. Although updating OpenWrt is much more comfortable as it used to be, it still requires some effort to make everything run again. After I spend that time, I found the hnyman build which is optimized for my R7800. But I don't want to change the build again, and have this extensive additional configuration effort again. Therefore I'd like to know, what is the actual difference between hnymans' and "stock" build? Did I understand correctly, that this build is more or less stock but extended by the "Features included" and "Network tools" mentioned in this thread? Or are they any system tweaks besides that? In short, what do I need to do to bring my "stock" to "hnyman build".

Thanks in advance

AFAIK this build is as close to stock as it can be, but fit for purpose on an R7800 with the inclusion of the packages/features mentioned in the opening post.

Upgrading shouldn't be an issue when you do that on minor releases. Some major releases are not a problem to upgrade too. However between 19.07 and 21.02 there are some changes in networking. Most of the time I remember to make a backup. This time around I spent some time to create a scripted config with uci commands. With that, I can more easily try different builds, different versions without worrying about the extensive additional configuration effort I made too. I now do all of that in this script with uci and sh commands. I've made it so that I can run it idempotent.

3 Likes

At the moment there aren't any major special tweaks, mainly just the extra packages included, and their default settings adapted to R7800 (e.g. SQM interface is eth0.2 instead of the (old) global default eth1.)

In the early years there were more R7800 specific tweaks and experimental/development stuff, but those have already been incorporated to the main OpenWrt.

1 Like

For me the main benefit of hnyman's builds is being able to run master builds to stay close to the current development of openwrt. It's much more convenient and safer than running development snapshot builds directly because hnyman's builds are tested on R7800 before upload, and common convenient packages like the LuCI web UI are included by default instead of having to manually install them.

2 Likes

I haven't quite kept up, how far off do we believe the transition to DSA as the default is for these builds?

The PR exists and is working, (aside from a trivial rebasing-) it just needs to be merged into master. That happens at the courtesy and schedule of the project developers, but there's no reason why it couldn't happen today, tomorrow, in six weeks or may take longer. For obvious reasons it won't make it for openwrt-21.02, but it should be merged well in advance before the next stable release gets branched off.

2 Likes

Thanks! Here's hoping it makes its way into master soonish.

If you have the time, would you consider testing this patch please @hnyman ?

Symptoms should be that 160MHz won't start on ath10k-ct (master or 21.02).
After patch, should start (after CAC timeout).

I might test it, but as I remember the 2019 discussion, I would have thought that greearb had fixed it at that time (as he said in https://github.com/greearb/ath10k-ct/issues/85#issuecomment-531952812 )

Best might be to look at sources at the -ct repo, and point the missing fixes to greearb.

1 Like

It is missing from 5.10, 5.11, 5.12 kernels in the repo. I'd rather someone tested it first before i send it to him but i can do it if no one is volunteering.
No pressure only if you had time and were doing a build anyway :slight_smile:

I tested that patch, and it seems to help R7800 to start the VHT160 DFS scan, but not without problems. My clients detected VHT80, and I received DFS related crashes.

1 Like

Appreciate that thank you. A step in the right direction, but there's obviously some deeper issue as well. Im no good at reading kernel dumps.

suddenly my r7800 on previous 19.07 didnt boot after a reboot, followed by a few reboots and i noticed the power led kept blinking
i then reset it and the orange led kept blinking for a min or two. shouldnt it resume to normal and boot up after a reset automatically?
anyway i have powered it off and on finally and now it booted up successfully
dono what happened actually, i will take a look at the logs
this is the first time since i switched to r7800 around 1.5 yrs ago
any ideas?

"Reset" is a software thing. There is no actual hardware reset. If the OS was stuck, your reset probably did nothing or did something set by the bootloader that knows nothing about OpenWrt. (the OpenWrt reset works when the router is normally running, so that the scripts for the software reset can be run.)

They will likely tell you nothing, as the logs are normally in RAM, so nothing survives a reboot.

Weak power source?