Build for Netgear R7800

I've recently set up a pair of Openwrt r7800's with the same build, one as a WDS AP and the other as a WDS client on the 5ghz band. The client is also configured as an AP with its own SSID.

Originally I had them configured as specified from this article, https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds. I would experience quite frequent disconnects on the WDS Client and has improved by disabling STP on it. It seems to have gotten a bit better but still experience some disconnects during the day such as this below.

Wed May 5 09:01:43 2021 kern.info kernel: [86452.988711] wlan0: deauthenticating from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx by local choice (Reason: 1=UNSPECIFIED)

Anyone with similar experiences with WDS?

This is mainly for people building for R7800 by themselves:

Looks like commit fa731838 causes trouble for R7800.

PC does not get DHCP address via fixed line. But wifi works ok and PC gets IP.
But nothing obvious seems to be amiss.
Router seems to boot ok, ifconfig shows sensible stuff at the first glance, all settings were restored & etc.

I reverted that for my master-r16678-cde31976e3-20210507 build, which again works ok.

EDIT:
fixed with https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/d62825dd77b3990b8ff2cf341ff3a8b16f4883d1

2 Likes

R7800 VHT 160 mhz not working since v21.02..
I get this message:

hostapd: DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1

See OpenWrt 21.02.0 first release candidate - #30 by ENKI

It worked before @19.07.7 .

I made those changes for the testing kernel but WAN wouldn't come up, everything else was ok tho'.
So what have I missed? (I compiled testing myself with your scripts)

Just first sysupgrade without settings, so that you get the new ones.
Then compare the changes to your old.

Hmm... maybe DSA isn't enabled in the current testing kernel, didn't @Ansuel remove it?
It would explain why it won't work.

Yes, @Ansuel's DSA stuff is still only in his merge request: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4036.

1 Like

Sure, he separated it from the 5.10 version bump.
Only the 5.10 is merged.
DSA required you apply the PR 4036.
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4036
(I haven't yet tested it after the rebase last night. He refreshed it a few hours ago to reflect the already merged 5,10 stuff)

1 Like

Don't think sysupgrade is possible anymore... it says:

Wed May 12 11:47:40 CEST 2021 upgrade: The device is supported, but the config is incompatible to the new image (1.0->1.1). Please upgrade without keeping config (sysupgrade -n).
Wed May 12 11:47:40 CEST 2021 upgrade: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA
Image check failed but --force given - will update anyway!

Even if I force the upgrade it doesn't actually upgrade, it probably tries to but fails.

Do it from SSH, not LuCI.
(and you can also set the compatibility value in /etc/config/system)

I think the main issue now was that it somehow reverted to compiling the 5.4 kernel after I applied the PR for DSA, that's why i got odd issues. So I thought I was running 5.10 with DSA but I wasn't.

Mhh with the PR the default version is 5.10. very strange

does anyone have issues enabling flow offloading, breaking ipv6, as in stalling connections, slow ipv6 dns lookups, high packet times.

as soon as I enable flow offloading, speeds improve but ipv6 connections stall out.

easy way to reproduce, enable software offload, then try loading various mobile apps, instagram, facebook, etc (they use ipv6) and content will be slow to load or won't load at all.

I see a bug report was filed:

https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=3373&pagenum=3

wondering if anyone knows of a solution? tested on "stable openwrt-21.02" and master, same issue.

3 Likes

Hi all,

first: thanks for this build - it made my R7800 work the first time working really good with openWRT!
A lot of problems i had with standard openWRT 19.7.3 are gone with your build!
Thank you really a lot for this!

I have just one further question:
I had to install several additional packages (bluetooth and ubus) - but if i want to install them (via luci) then i get the message, that the package needs a newer kernel version 4.14.232 instead of 4.14.231.

Do i really have to build the firmware new for my own if i need some more packages?

Or is it possible to configure the package manager to link to the packages which fits to the installed kernel?

Or should i just update all packages via luci (or opkg)?
But i thought that this should not be done with openWRT because this can break my firmware...

Sorry for my dumb questions - but i am quite new in these custom build firmwares.
Until some days ago i only used the standard builds for my routers...

Kind regards
Michael

If you need kernel modules (kmod-...), you need to build by yourself.

You can install normal userspace packages.

Thanks for your quick response!

I wanted to install the following packages:

kmod-bluetooth
kmod-usb-core
kmod-usb-uhci
kmod-usb2
bluez-libs
bluez-utils
usbutils
uhttpd-mod-ubus

So if i understand it correct i have to build my own firmware with your Guide in Post #1.
I have to change the build config to add the kmod-* packages.
For this i just add these packages in the .config.init / .config file and start the build process via hnscripts/updateNmake.sh ?

The additional packages (non kmod-* packages) i then can simply install via opkg?

Or do i think it too simple? :innocent:

Yes, you just need to add the needed modules to your .config

And likely you should also include the userspace packages in the build, too, so that you have everything in the firmware.

Wow - Thank you very very much!

I was looking for months why my Router wasn't working correct, permanently wifi interruptions, problems with the name resolutions, my printer was not reachable for which i had no explanations.

With your firmware version this all now seems to work perfect! Even name resolution for internal servers within Android is working fine!

And with your help i did get bluetooth to work for my presence control for my home automation and get my ubus rpcd calls to work.

Again: Thanks a lot!

I just sysupgraded to the latest 19.07 build of @hnyman but looks like the kernel is not the latest?

I am trying to install / use strongswan L2TP IPsec and need to install strongswan-default and it complains

The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 4.14.232-1-0894164cā€¦ while 4.14.231-1-32bf9271ā€¦ is installed.

is it possible (and safe) to override this and install anyway? or is there a recommended path to get a build that has both wireguard and ipsec?

@TheLinuxGuy , read what he just wrote to @punkt, same procedure goes for you.

1 Like