Build for Netgear R7800

Try to disable double nat from console

It has occurred to me that the key for this is most likely turning off DHCP on the fiber gateway while I'm testing. I think that the fiber gateway assigned the R7800 an IP address while LEDE is expecting to be at 192.168.1.1. So the fiber gateway is passing traffic to the R7800 at the address that it assigned, while I'm talking to it via LUCI on 192.168.1.1. That may well be the problem that I'm seeing...sounds like a problem, anyways :-). So if I take away the ability of the fiber gateway to give the R7800 a different address, that might really help. We'll see. Again, have to wait for available testing time :-).

Can you run top -d 1 over ssh while the router is slow? There could be a be a run-away process eating all CPU cycles. And create a new thread to to get help as this issue is not related to this build.

Have you done this? Changing http_keepalive to 0 will probably solve your issue.

1 Like

Sorry, about using this thread. It initially seemed like it might be related...I'll create a new thread, then.

I did run top when LUCI was slow, and top didn't show any processes that looked like I could call them "runaway".

Thanks.

@hnyman I know you're no longer building for 18.06, but any chance for a 1-off build of 18.06.7 with the opkg security fixes, please?

Sorry, but I do not have the 18.06 buildroot any more on my Ubuntu.

If you want a new build, you have to to build it by yourself.

1 Like

I am recenlty switching between stable openwrt-19.07 and master branches and later is suffering from short but frequent (more than every hour) connectivity losses. Observed with both wired and wireless.
Nothing specific in the logs with standard log level.

Snapshot LuCi Status - Overview page is missing IPv6 Upstream info:

`

https://192.168.1.1/luci-static/resources/protocol/relay.js?v=git-19.292.31773-cc35206 404 (Not Found)

`

not related to this firmware... it's a luci problem

@hnyman master-r12158-ffbb8ed5a2-20200201-ath10k-crashes ("old" mainline ath10k) does it now have a different problem from the bug that is closed?
https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2414
It would be nice to have working builds with the "old" setup.

I believe the latest master builds where I swap the firmware to use "old" have some performance issues, not sure what's going on but my video conf software (zoom) complains of an "unstable connection" though I can't see any packet loss or high latency spikes. I tried an older build, the last one where "old" worked (r10443-ea4e1dac71-20190708) and it seems OK, zoom doesn't complain.

I've had this router for over a year and I have yet to find a setup where everything just works so I don't have to touch it :frowning:

1 Like

Yes.
It has the problem described in

1 Like

Anyone we could get involved to help with the bug above?

Hey there,

I just got a R7800. I tried following the guider here. However I'm getting a timeout when putting the image.

Further is 19.07.1 the most stable option for the r7800?

Here is hynman’s latest 19.07 factory to OpenWRT build:

You can upload his firmware in the factory router web interface.

Have a wired computer ready to configure your OpenWRT router after it’s loaded (wireless is turned off by default, you have to log in and turn wireless on). Enjoy!

1 Like

This is great thank you. Is there a good starting guide for openwrt?

Take a look at the documentation: https://openwrt.org/docs/start

@hnyman it'll be probably great if the WiFi would be "on" by default, because: the only laptop I have doesn't have RJ45 ETH port, and that means, I shall be buying a USB-C to ETH adapter only for to turn on the WiFi on the router. Having the WiFi on by default would make it much easier. (Ok, I agree, I normally don't have this scenario happening, but like twice a year I actually need to connect it via ETH - and then I need to borrow friend's laptop only for to turn on the WiFI, that's a bit not confortable). I assume there are also some (probably very very few) other people out there which don't have laptops with ETH ports and no adapters around, and they'll appreciate this option to be on. Thank you!

OpenWrt default is to have WiFi disabled until you have configured it, and I am sticking to that approach.

2 Likes

This is a great default from a security perspective, in case the config gets wiped and the router reboots you don't want an open AP that anyone can connect to and get access to your LAN.

1 Like