Build for Netgear R7800

Actually, that v8 is the old wifi LED patch that is not any more included in the build as a modified v13 is already in the master sources. The patch is there just for my archiving purposes (and thatswhy it does not show up in the detailed diffs that I provide for each build). All patches actually used in the build are visible in the diffs.

Regarding latency, there shouldn't actually be that much difference to master snapshot, as I build with the default kernel options. So, no CONFIG_PREEPMT. (I am not quite sure what you mean by "stock master"? the actual master (buildbot snapshots), or the ancient 17.01 release?)

Most of my own changes have already been incorporated into the Openwrt sources, so currently my build is mostly about selecting key packages into the build.

Sorry for the wired naming. I've just seen it after sending. I meant snapshot build from here:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq806x/generic/

So WIFI LEDs and latency should be okay with "official" snapshots? That's great to hear!

@philjohn Thanks for providing the script. I've just placed it inside init.d and 755'd it. Unfortunately, I'm still seeing high IRQ load when running a speed test over 5Ghz, and can see it's affecting the performance. Is there something else I'm missing, some sort of setting, which could be attributing to this?:

Wifi driver is run by IRQs, so what is the surprise with the load?

@hnyman Sorry I should probably clarify. It's not a surprise that there's any load, it's just that throughput seems to die the moment load hits 100%. There are reports of others hitting 400Mbps, whereas I can barely hit 300 at times on 5Ghz (I'm maybe two meters from the router, strong signal, stable ping, etc). I've hard-wired into the router and ran tests and can hit 350+ easily (regularly hitting 450), but when connected wireless seems truly difficult to hit (especially when I'm connected at 1.3Gbps).

I'm not certain the irq load is the 'issue' either. I have limited knowledge on this, and I've exhausted my personal knowledge and the irq load is the only indication of why the throughput would be low. I'm all ears if there are other things I need to check, ie ,should I be using a specific cypher, or any other setting.

I appreciate all the help and the firmware, so thank you!

Each arriving packet from wan, lan or wlan basically triggers the respective driver via IRQs, so high software IRQ load during speed test does not sound strange. CPU is not consumed for user-space computing, but is needed for network drivers (and firewall, routing etc.)

I just tested with flent using my 100/12 connection and I get

• 20% sirq load with wired
  • 42%sirq load with 2.4GHz wifi
  • 60% sirq load with 5GHz wifi

This is without any balancing the irqs to different CPU cores, as my "slow" connection does not usually cause any need for that.

There is useful IRQ balancing discussion in the R7800 exploration thread from early 2017. Read from here onward: Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984) - #45 by Nague
But IRQ balancing is no magic wand. But may help in getting some additional throughput.

Ps. the script linked above by @philjohn looks a bit strange, as its actions do not match the comments inside the script. (both wan and wlan0 are assigned to the same core, despite the comment saying otherwise)

1 Like

@hnyman any way to get ngnx ssl working on your build?

Good spot, I found this gave better throughput for 5ghz and lan to wan, keeping them local to a single core. Need to update the comments.

you need to wait for this..

Just saw the commits have been ,merged. :slight_smile:
On average how long before new commits are included in builds on main opkg repo?

A few hours. Buildbot does all targets on round robin fashion.

Next arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4 build should have it.

https://phase2.builds.lede-project.org/grid

1 Like

lede1701-r3918-aaecfecdcd-20180707-large-flash

I made a "large-flash" version of the 17.01 build. It has the same partition structure as 18.06 and master builds (i.e. 4 MB kernel and large ubi utilising also old "netgear"), so flashing master or 18.06 can be done via sysupgrade from this 17.01 build. But naturally flashing this large flash 17.01 requires TFTP if you are still running an old 17.01 build.

This is mostly for fun, as there is no practical reason to use 17.01 with R7800 any more. 18.06 builds should be used instead.

Ps. 18.06 rc1 still had "small flash" partitions, while rc2 and final will already have the "large flash".

1 Like

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r7427
Wireless died, had to restart both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

my 7800 has been unstable off and on since the move to 4.14. sometimes it's fine for days and days, others it just randomly reboots after a few hours. it seems to come and go either with minor upgrades (everytime hnyman releases a new build). i figure there are probably some niggles still. i run the master builds.

Master has been quite stable for myself. No surprising reboots etc. that I am aware of.

A month ago I had problems with LAN speed with the build master-r7136-987e10af07-20180607-large-flash. After that I'm back to the latest build 17.01 of @hnyman. What about the new builds? Is the LAN speed ok again?

Has anyone measured the speed with iperf?

Read the R7800 exploration thread, which has lots of discussion about this.
Looks like performance was ok with kernel 4.14.44, got reduced at .48 and fixed again at .51

1 Like

yes, i retained my config from pre 4.14 so it's possible there's some weirdness going on and i should reset and manually reconfigure. i have also had the problem where nlbwmon goes crazy and maxes out at 100%, though that hasn't happened for a while.

Is the 18.06 branch >0.51 now? My slightly older one is showing 0.50. Dumb question yes, but I don't know how often kernels get changed between builds.