Build for Netgear R7800

Not really. Only the LuCI support has been recently added. The same 80211r support in hostapd/wpad has been there for some time now.

I have been happily using 80211r in my routers now, so I guess your settings were not perfect. I don't think that your problem is router/build specific, so if you want help on the 80211r settings, you might open an own thread about that.

I don't seem to be able to receive multicast packets on the LAN interfaces although I can receive them on WiFi. I am asking here just in case there is something special about hnyman's build...

Thanks very much for the build! I am trying to set up my new R7800 as my main router between my lan subnet and my WiFi subnet. This is something that I currently have a WDR4900 running OpenWRT handling so much of the config can be copied over.

But avahi is not working properly. I first noticed it because the avahi reflector is not working, but even without that, basic avahi-daemon is not working correctly. It correctly sends out the multicast notification on the lan (so clients can resolve the router name for a while) but it does not seem to respond to any resolve requests from clients which do not have the name in their cache. I am assuming that the problem is that it is not receiving the multicasted lookup requests. This works fine for Wifi clients.

The debug messages from avahi-daemon are the same as on my WDR4900, which is working (although it runs a much older OpenWRT version, and a slightly older version of avahi). Could there be anything about your build (some config option in a relevant kernel module, or something) which is preventing this?

Is multicast reception from lan interfaces working for anyone else?

By the way, I have tried disabling the firewall completely. I have also tried disabling VLANs.

My build uses all default LEDE settings for network & firewall. There is nothing build-specific (except a few additional kernel modules like nat6 etc.), but no changes to kernel options or firewall defaults etc.

But some defaults may have changed in either Openwrt DD trunk before the LEDE fork and/or in LEDE later. There are some commits that have "multicast" in their message. You might check those out, if they are relevant for you: https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=multicast

You should not copy settings from old Openwrt, as some of the defaults e.g. regarding VLANs have changed.

Ps. are you moving from the ancient CC15.05 or the DD trunk?

Thanks for the info. Just thought I would check before looking into it further. I will create a test program and look further into what is happening.

Don't worry, I am not just copying configs -- but I am keeping the setup as much the same as possible to allow me to drop in the R7800 temporarily while I upgrade the WDR4900 to something more modern. It is currently running an old build of my own based on a BB trunk (r36499). Time to replace that!

[quote="gcobb, post:73, topic:316"]
It is currently running an old build of my own based on a BB trunk (r36499). Time to replace that!
[/quote]Yep, it is. But the have been so many changes sine that (in CC, DD and LEDE) that no wonder if something goes differently. You may need to may more attention to the firewall, network and ipv6 options.

Just in case anyone else comes searching for this problem. This appears to be the same problem described in IPv6 works only with wan in promiscuous mode

The same fix (set the interface, eth1 in my case, into promiscuous mode) works. No solution in that thread there but I will go and discuss it over there.

Thanks for the help.

lede-r3747-2f09a1e3c9-20170314-kernel49-test

Support for kernel 4.9 is finally coming to ipq806x target platform. I have compiled a build with kernel 4.9 and it seems stable and runs ok. (Note that you can't install most snapshot repo packages to this build, as buildbot still builds snapshots with kernel 4.4 that is the official default.

There is more about the kernel 4.9 transition attempts in the R7800 exploration thread.

lede-r3850-dce3b0057b-20170323

Kernel 4.9 is now the default. In the final steps, support for ipq40xx devices was added and that action has broken wifi in the current main sources.

My build contains a fix for that, and hopefully the PR to get the fix applied to the main sources will get accepted.

1 Like

Is it possible to install this firmware in R7000 or R8000?

No. It is only for R7800.

Thanks for fast reply.

Which routers did you make a build? I have: R7000 (but 5GHz didnt work with 17.01 ), R8000 works ok, wndr3700 works ok (with your build), ea8500 (linksys protection -.-) and ac87u (same problem of ea8500)

I only build for devices that I have.

I build this for ipq806x R7800.
And then I have a separate community build for ar71xx WNDR3700v1/v2/3800

I also have a mvebu WRT3200ACM router and I build LEDE for it, but I have not started to publish the build.

There's new tcp congestion control algorithm in k4.9 called BBR, you may want to use it in your builds
http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/bbrs_basic_beauty/

I have not tried it yet, but based on earlier discussion in TCP BBR support it sounds like it brings most benefits for the bulk traffic originators (like youtube servers etc.). I am not sure if it would bring significant benefits to home routers.

But I will follow the discussion.

It should be a common effort I suppose.
A while ago I've been testing different congestion algorithms in my local isp environment and I've had different results even on a client side (I've been testing with downloading Linux images with torrent) opposing to common view that it's a server-side mechanism.
At that time YeAH gave me the best result.

I've repeated tests and BBR tend to give me same results.

But in any case it will surely be useful for WiFi client devices with low signal while using online streaming services: video, voip and such.

lede-r3888-8fb39f1682-20170328

Fallout from kernel 4.9 bump has been largely fixed. The fix proposed by me has been committed to the main repo as https://github.com/lede-project/source/commit/c69a89fe23a526ec3eef9c4e63eb672387e5177e, so wifi should again work out of the box for all builds.

1 Like

First of all, thank you for your great work on the R7800, hnyman! :slight_smile:
I wanted to buy this router to turn it into a VPN router. So I just have three small questions regarding it:

• What speeds can I achieve with the OpenVPN client? Since it has this powerful cpu, I hope for 60-70mbps.
  • Does the latest build I can download include the kernel 4.9?
  • Does LEDE come with a DNLA server built in?

Best regards,
layentara

I have not used OpenVPN, so no answer to that. (You might get better answers in the generic "R7800 exploration" thread instead of this build-specific thread)

kernel 4.9 is in the newest builds

No built-in DLNA, but there are packages available for that, e.g. minidlna. No experience from using them.

Thanks hnyman, I will ask in that thread again :slight_smile:

I will remove aiccu in the next build, as SixXS will stop operations in June.
https://www.sixxs.net/sunset/

[quote]Sunsetting SixXS

SixXS will be sunset in H1 2017. All services will be turned down on 2017-06-06, after which the SixXS project will be retired. Users will no longer be able to use their IPv6 tunnels or subnets after this date, and are required to obtain IPv6 connectivity elsewhere, primarily with their Internet service provider.[/quote]

If you are still using aiccu-based SixXS 6in4 tunnels, start looking for alternatives...