Build for Netgear R7800

Hi Hnyman,

I have installed new build image (master-r22457-967520800a-20230331) as I would like to use DLNA (minidlna pckg) and with previous build there was a conflict with kernel. Unfortunately after the update of .img I am not able to add a package minidlna due to conflict kernel version:

• The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 5.15.105-1-87f3d369… while 5.15.104-1-5811a332… is installed.

As I am not able to include this package in a self-compiled image, would you be so kind and upgrade this kernel in your build? I would then install it on top via luci.

Best regards and thanks for a great build-runs smoothly on my device since 12.2020.
Adam

It is about installing any kmod packages to a private build.
Updating / doing a new build will not help you.

Due to kernel package checksums, you can't I stall additional kmods (like kmod-sound-core)

Ok, I understand. Is there any option to use dlna without this kernel (kmod)?

No idea. I have never used dlna with OpenWrt.

nonetheless thanks for your response!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Luci-app-apinger in 22.03

Apologies in advance as I am certain that I am beating a dead horse on this topic:

I am coming from DD-WRT, I wanted to get builds that have been from within the last 2 years for my peace of mind as Kong has long since left, and also just to explore greener pastures. However, I get Gigabit down from the ISP and on DDWRT I would see about what I'd expect, in the range of 900Mbit over ethernet; After switching to your stable r20071 build I am seeing approx 200. I went to the settings and turned on the software offload, and I have changed the CPU governor to performance as I've seen oft discussed here, but that only seems to show me about 400. I do NOT use the SQM.

I have seen other builds for R7800, specifically from ACwifidude which seem to be lasered in on performance. For my sake, can someone give me a bit of clarity on my direction here? Is it just that I should be running master instead of stable (2000+ commits ahead is certainly substantial)? Should I be switching to a more bare-bones "performance-centric" build like those posted by ACwifidude? Or is there configuration I am missing elsewhere.

Kong is still about and doing OpenWRT builds https://www.desipro.de/openwrt/

You are better there with that Gigabit

Nss

1 Like

The default OpenWrt releases do not include hardware flow offloading = your performance drop.

If you want hardware offloading,
You will need to make use of community releases from ACwifidude or apccv.

I don't know if Kong's releases provide hardware flow offloading, someone else familiar may answer you.

I have two R7800 configured more or less the same, one is running DDWRT (build 52242) the other is running OpenWRT 22.03.3, based on @hnyman (highly recommended build if you do not compile yourself)

I also noticed the speed difference between DDWRT and OpenWRT possibly because DDWRT uses the leaner Kernel 4.9?

But OpenWRT has nss builds which can use the power of the nss cores :slight_smile:

Thanks all. Sorry to further clutter this thread but I switched to the NSS build from ACwifidude and I am seeing the expected performance w offloads enabled.

2 Likes

Not sure what's wrong with hnyman builds, but last time I measured my builds I was able to do 900Mbps in case qos is disabled. And my NSS builds will give around 950Mbps with only a 3-5% CPU load and enabled qos:-)

3 Likes

Well, my build is very near the OpenWrt defaults. There is nothing special regarding network or CPU speeds.

So, there shouldn't be anything.

I have only 200 Mbit ISP connection, so I can't test gigibit speeds myself.

2 Likes

master-r22605-c7c3208192-20230421-1928

The new master version contains the new CPU L2 cache patch from @Ansuel .
I have been running the patch the last 5 days without problems.

If you experience crashes with it, please report them at

Ps. Again the semi-annual move to a new Ubuntu version by using the build env transition script... First builds with Ubuntu 23.04 :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for providing an image with that patch!

It is unstable for me. Reverting to 2203
I'll update the other thread with my crash logs

Hi to all,
I've been trying to update my R7800 for months. The trouble is I get half of my bandwidth when I update to a new firmware after the master-R19797. I decided to see if I could update to the master-R22605 firmware and am having the same halving of throughput. Do I not worry about? Do I perform the update with out loading any of my existing settings? Do I use owrt2203 instead?
Regards,
Mitch

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

@hnyman , given that XR500 is virtually the same hardware as R7800, could this build be installed and work (as is) on an XR500 or not because there is some kind of "Device ID" associated with the build? Thanks.