Build for Netgear R7800

thanks for reuploading the files man

what i meant regarding exporting toochain path was, as i found on the internet that if i want to build static build for a particular package i have to export the toolchains path but most of them were failed according to them. so i think i would better to compile them in the env you provided

btw, i have tried to complie tor-0.4.7.13 with your 21.x sources (existing is 0.4.7.10), and replaced all "tor-0.4.7.10" with "tor-0.4.7.13" under feeds/packages.index, together with latest sources downloaded under build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/tor-full/. then i issued
make build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/tor-full/tor-0.4.7.13
but it returned:
make: build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/tor-full/' is up to date
even i removed all tor ipks etc. i thought it would recompile the new sources supplied but no. i then issued make again but it ignored my tor-0.4.7.13 changes and downloaded and recomplied tor-0.4.7.10 again. so the default version must be fetched again

so may i ask, what should i do to update a package manually with latest sources in this case where the version on openwrt is not updated? ie to override the default version?

and, how do i prevent cleaning the toolchain binary? ie i want to save the toolchain binary compiled elsewhere, and when needed, i just point to the binary i have saved before within your env without recompiling the toolchain again. just like supplying a toolchain path for rebuilding

Just edit the OpenWrt Makefile for the package and update it with the correct new version info, sha256 hash etc.

Do not run "make dirclean" or "make distclean".

I have never done that, so no help from me. (You should be able to download the SDK from the OpenWrt download repo, though.)

ok got it. i have spent some time reading the doc and i have a clearer picture now

one final question, how can i avoid the key/signature not matched thing when i wanna install or update a package via opkg web ui with a custom build afterward, say getting kmod_ipt_xxx etc?

You can't.

In practice, it is pretty hard to install kmods to private builds. You need to compile the modules at the same time as the firmware itself.

ok thanks a lot

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

Hello

anybody using this firmware on NBG6817 ?
Thanks

No, because I only compile this for R7800.

Hey hnyman, thanks for your work on these devices, it has been amazing!

I have a request: banip seems to be working again with the new firewall. Could you include it back in your build, or is there something speaking against it? It is a very helpful tool, and I was sad to see it go for a while with the transition.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I can re-enable it in the next build.

1 Like

hello @hnyman :slight_smile: thanks for offering your build.

I've used an older version of your build for some time and flashed to your latest master-r22362-68883278ab-20230321 via TFTP. So I did a complete flash from scratch without keeping any settings.

So without changing anything I've connected my R7800 via LAN cable:

modem <-> router <-> PC

When doing a speedtest I only get aroung 100mbit when the router is in between.

If I go modem <-> PC I get the full 300mbit.

I've changed and checked the cables (they are all fine because connecting them between modem and PC I always get 300mbit), I've reflashed your build etc but I can't figure why I only get 100mbit.

Do you or anyone else know what could be wrong here or where to look at?

Thank you.

SQM enabled with limited speed?

1 Like

In LuCi -> Network -> SQM QoS "Enable this SQM instance" is not selected. So SQM is off.

I tried the newest build on my R7800 and it got stuck on a bootloop. I tried using the .img on the upgrade and i tried straight TFTP. What am i doing wrong.

Note quite sure about what you have done. Instead of saying ".img" just sspecify the image type, "factory" or "sysupgrade"... (The ending has no real relevance.)

• factory.img image is meant to be used with OEM firmware's flashing routine or the TFTP recovery in the bootloader
  • sysupgrade.bin is meant to be used by the OpnWrt sysupgrade routine to sysupgrade to a new OpenWrt version.

Assuming that you have used the correct image, there are some possibilities:

Having a serial connection and being able to see the boot process would help you a lot in debugging.

Ps. the newest image from week ago works just fine:

-----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22387-47de2c6862
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@router1:~#

Hi Hnyman,

I have installed new build image (master-r22457-967520800a-20230331) as I would like to use DLNA (minidlna pckg) and with previous build there was a conflict with kernel. Unfortunately after the update of .img I am not able to add a package minidlna due to conflict kernel version:

• The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 5.15.105-1-87f3d369… while 5.15.104-1-5811a332… is installed.

As I am not able to include this package in a self-compiled image, would you be so kind and upgrade this kernel in your build? I would then install it on top via luci.

Best regards and thanks for a great build-runs smoothly on my device since 12.2020.
Adam

It is about installing any kmod packages to a private build.
Updating / doing a new build will not help you.

Due to kernel package checksums, you can't I stall additional kmods (like kmod-sound-core)

Ok, I understand. Is there any option to use dlna without this kernel (kmod)?

No idea. I have never used dlna with OpenWrt.

nonetheless thanks for your response!