Build for Netgear R7800

I'm seldom using non-CT driver but can see that error as far ago as in April 2021.

Packages are up. Not sure if all but I updated one of my WDS clients to test and it found the packages it needed.

Test-kernel5.15-master-r19290-103ad908c2-20220328

I made a test build with kernel 5.15, as Ansuel's implementation of the basic support for it for ipq806x got merged yesterday. That 5.15 will likely be a step on the path toward DSA with ipq806x.

5 Likes

FYI I'm getting "pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kernel" when installing the mainline driver ipk. No issues when installing the mainline firmware ipk. Let me know if anyone needs to see the error messages.

Otherwise no issues with 5.15 so far.

@hnyman ,

I run your build on one of my R7800 and on the other I use your scripts to make mine. I have a question, from your scripts, if I change something in menuconfig (.config) do I need to add it in main.patch to have the changing at the end when the new build in ready, I mean in config.init, main.patch, packages.patch etc, in bin folder..etc

Also, do you have those kind of errors these days?

..make defconfig...
tmp/.config-package.in:102110:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:102110:  symbol PACKAGE_iptables-legacy is selected by PACKAGE_iptables-nft
tmp/.config-package.in:102917:  symbol PACKAGE_iptables-nft is selected by PACKAGE_opennds
tmp/.config-package.in:101140:  symbol PACKAGE_opennds depends on PACKAGE_iptables-legacy
For a resolution refer to Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.rst
subsection "Kconfig recursive dependency limitations"

thanks

Depends on your workflow.
You can use menuconfig to edit the current .config, but if you then replace it again with the .config.init recipe (like I do), you need to manually replicate the necessary minimal changes to .config.init

You only need main.patch etc. when you initially create the buildroot.

The recursive config errors are caused by the opennds package. Also seen by the buildbot. Not related to you.

1 Like

ok, so if I take my .config + ./scripts/diffconfig.sh > diffconfig + cp diffconfig .config.init

It is not ok to reproduce what I see at the end with your original scripts and .config,init?

That will work, now, but as it contains all dependencies, it may cause unnecessary packages to be included later if dependencies change.
I suggest that you prune it manually and only leave the top selections that you have actually made.

1 Like

And I see you 've put your selection in .config.init in categories ;

# Include package list in build
CONFIG_INCLUDE_CONFIG=y

# Longer waiting for failsafe button push
CONFIG_IMAGEOPT=y
CONFIG_PREINITOPT=y
CONFIG_TARGET_PREINIT_TIMEOUT=5

# Busybox tweaks
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CUSTOM=y
#CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_DIFF=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_SAVEHISTORY=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_SAVE_ON_EXIT=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_LESS_FLAGS=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_LESS_REGEXP=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_LESS_WINCH=y

### Build also ath10k mainline .ipk
### (disable this if you use the below section to fully switch to mainline)
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k=m

## # Mainline ath10k wifi firmware and driver instead of -ct
## CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca9984=y
## # CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca9984-ct is not set
## CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k=y
## # CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k-ct is not set

# Add-on programs
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ccrypt=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_curl=y
CONFIG_LIBCURL_OPENSSL=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_diffutils=y
CONFIG_DROPBEAR_ECC=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_htop=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_irqbalance=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_mtr-nojson=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_nano-full=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_patch=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_tcpdump-mini=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_tree=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_wget-ssl=y

Do I need to do that if I add some packages? I'm not sure where to add them

No need, that sectioning and comments are just for clarity. Easier to see what has been added and why.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for this build that I'm using, I'm coming from ddwrt, I can understand how OpenWrt work but I understand almost nothing about the builds numbers, updates, etc...

Sorry for the stupid question, now I've installed the OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19345-72b93b77a5 / LuCI Master git-22.089.43958-7110635 that I don't know if is the latest updated, by the way, the latest update in your dropbox folder should be the master-r19345-72b93b77a5-20220401 ? What are the other builds? and why your builds report 19.xxx when the latest OpenWrt firmware should be 22.xx?

And when you compile a new build, I can simple upgrade from the CLI/LuCI interface the build: master-r19345-xyz-sysupgrade.bin?

I also have removed some software (AdBlock, since I'm using a pihole), but if I update with your build, the deleted software are inside again, right?

There's something also that I have to know before updating? I understand that those are stupid questions but I'm having some trouble to understand the "OpenWrt environment-builds" rather than networking features :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Well, as I try to explain in the first message, I offer build from the development master branch and the two current stable branches 22.03 and 21.02. The latest builds are listed in message 1.

In the build version I show the branch, Openwrt revision (rXXXXX - commit hash) and the build date:
owrt2203-r19206-6e7bf6ad95-20220403
OpenWrt 22.03 revision r19206-6e7bf6ad95 built on 2022-04-03.

Various branches get bug fix updates, but e.g. in the 21.02 the main OpenWrt code is mainly from 2021 February, while 22.03 is based on March 2022 code. Current branches:

you are probably referring to the LuCI GUI revision shown at footer. It shows the Luci main version, but various LuCI components have newer revisions.
Btw, for the master build it shows currently:

If you flash a new firmware image, you naturally get also all the packages included in the image. But note that if you have set adblock as disabled in the adblock config, it remains disabled. Configs are preserved by default in sysupgrade.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the reply and all the info, now I'm starting to understand a little more, what a complicated development in OpenWrt :grin:

Well, as I try to explain in the first message, I offer build from the development master branch and the two current stable branches 22.03 and 21.02. The latest builds are listed in message 1.

In the build version I show the branch, Openwrt revision (rXXXXX - commit hash) and the build date:
owrt2203-r19206-6e7bf6ad95-20220403
OpenWrt 22.03 revision r19206-6e7bf6ad95 built on 2022-04-03.

Various branches get bug fix updates, but e.g. in the 21.02 the main OpenWrt code is mainly from 2021 February, while 22.03 is based on March 2022 code. Current branches:

Thanks a lot for the image, do you have a source for it? Maybe there's also a little explanation in the same article.

you are probably referring to the LuCI GUI revision shown at footer. It shows the Luci main version, but various LuCI components have newer revisions.
Btw, for the master build it shows currently:

Yes, my mistake, I have already installed the master/last (22.089)

then there're the stables builds: 22.03 and 21.02, both are currently developed but are not the latest if I correctly understand. Weird but okay, I'm making confusion also because the OpenWrt wiki I think has not been updated:

Stable release:

Old Stable release

https://openwrt.org/releases/start

If you flash a new firmware image, you naturally get also all the packages included in the image. But note that if you have set adblock as disabled in the adblock config, it remains disabled. Configs are preserved by default in sysupgrade.

Yes, surely, but in order to keep only "my" packages I have to make my build or to use sysupgrade -k as reported here:
Use sysupgrade -k or Opkg extras to include user-removed/installed packages in your backup

And in order to keep the latest build I have to install it from this folder if I understand correctly:

(what's the "master-firewall3" folder?)

Thanks again for all the info and the patience, I'll follow the thread and hope to help in the future, when I understand a (lot of) bit more :sweat_smile:

I have done (and updated along the versions) the chart by myself.
It can also be found on the wiki's history page, with the explanations that I have written.

They are "the latest" of their release version branch...
Similarly as there is a fully updated windows 10 while there is already also Windows 11. (Or Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.10 and soon also 22.04. Each of them have separate updates.)

No.
You have circled r19345 of 2202-04-01 while the directory below is 5 days newer r19368 of 2022-04-06.
You can check from the first message of the thread the newest builds. I build pretty often.

Master with the previous default firewall package version. Iptables based firewall3 was the default until January, while now there is nftables based firewall4 in master and 22.03.

1 Like

I have done (and updated along the versions) the chart by myself.
It can also be found on the wiki's history page, with the explanations that I have written.

Oh great, it's at the bottom, for that I haven't found it, what a stupid!

They are "the latest" of their release version branch...
Similarly as there is a fully updated windows 10 while there is already also Windows 11. (Or Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.10 and soon also 22.04. Each of them have separate updates.)

Yes, obviously (at least I understand correctly)

No.
You have circled r19345 of 2202-04-01 while the directory below is 5 days newer r19368 of 2022-04-06.
You can check from the first message of the thread the newest builds. I build pretty often.

Ah right, my mistake again, because I had installed it just few days ago and I thought the r19345 was the still the last build, great to know that you're compiling new builds so often, thanks :clap:

So I just updated (my first update :birthday:)

From
r19345-72b93b77a5 / LuCI Master git-22.089.43958-7110635
To
r19368-64f629e207 / LuCI Master git-22.089.43958-7110635

...all perfect but unfortunately I noticed that the DDNS service didn't start automatically because I've installed myself the ddns-scripts-noip (https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata/ddns-scripts-noip) package that are not included in your DDNS provider list. For me it's a big trouble because I use (the pretty common) no-ip.com service to get the dynamic ip address for my VPN/wireguard, if I make a remote update and it doesn't start/update my IP, I can't no more connect to my VPN obviously.

Now I need to auto-download it every time I update, is it possible (maybe it's a silly question but I'm new here) to automate it? Or can you please include this 1Kb package in your build? :blush:

You need to install it via opkg after flashing a new firmware.

Hmmm but I can't if I'm upgrading via VPN and the router doesn't send me the new IP because the no-ip ddns service is not available after the update :roll_eyes:

In the end, do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for another ddns service that's already included in the list?

Thanks

EDIT: never mind, I went for duckdns (btw if you have other suggestions, they're welcome)

Not seeing the new

stable openwrt-21.02 owrt2102-r16545-39bf2aee0e-20220407

in Dropbox. Still the old owrt2102-r16528... thanks @hnyman

Now it is there. I forgot to copy the files.

1 Like

FYI: today my R7800 crashed / rebooted. I cannot find anything usefull in syslog or kernel log. Also pstore dir is empty.

r19345

Can i search somewhere else?