Build for Netgear R7800

@hnyman was thinking of implementing some type of module or status to display the presence of pstore directly in luci.
Would be an interesting feature to add...
Something like

• Give user notification if a pstore is present (aka system has crashed here is the log)
  • Advise to publish it and provide a download button

What do you think? Do you have suggestion / opinion on this feature?

3 Likes

Similar to the "no password set" notice after firstboot (linking to the pstore status/ download page), sounds great.

4 Likes

That has been proposed/planned earlier, but the discussion got stuck, as the scope started to widen...

See

The pstore feature would be nice.

I implemented the same on Gargoyle. I added it to the diagnostics page as a module that only displays if a file is detected in pstore.
Just an idea.

Think the big box in the status page was a bit too aggressive... Also the notification implementation got entirely stuck from what I can see.

Put some message in the pr to try to move things up... wonder if some interest by the community would put some priority to the 2 pr

7 posts were split to a new topic: Installing kmod packages to private builds

If you are experiencing any WiFi stalls with 21.02.2 builds and potentially master, there appears to be an issue:

2 Likes

I am currently running DDWRT and not really happy with the performance. So, what build do you suggest I flash it on my R7800?

Would this be good: R7800-owrt2102-r16504-b2896d…3e-20220301-0755-factory.img?

And, will I be able to upload this firmware from DDWRT upgrade page or have to TFTP?

Thanks.

No idea about ddwrt flash capabilities/compatibility, so using TFTP to flash the factory image sounds good.
Newest 21.02 image sounds also good.

1 Like

This is true, it happens to me too.

owrt2203-r19177-58242ef347-20220325

First 22.03 build that I have uploaded for downloading. This is still pretty much the same code as the master was last week (when 22.03 was branched off master).

The buildbot for 22.03 has been created today, so there will be opkg installable packages in the next few days, hopefully. Right now there aren't, yet.

4 Likes

I'm seldom using non-CT driver but can see that error as far ago as in April 2021.

Packages are up. Not sure if all but I updated one of my WDS clients to test and it found the packages it needed.

Test-kernel5.15-master-r19290-103ad908c2-20220328

I made a test build with kernel 5.15, as Ansuel's implementation of the basic support for it for ipq806x got merged yesterday. That 5.15 will likely be a step on the path toward DSA with ipq806x.

5 Likes

FYI I'm getting "pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kernel" when installing the mainline driver ipk. No issues when installing the mainline firmware ipk. Let me know if anyone needs to see the error messages.

Otherwise no issues with 5.15 so far.

@hnyman ,

I run your build on one of my R7800 and on the other I use your scripts to make mine. I have a question, from your scripts, if I change something in menuconfig (.config) do I need to add it in main.patch to have the changing at the end when the new build in ready, I mean in config.init, main.patch, packages.patch etc, in bin folder..etc

Also, do you have those kind of errors these days?

..make defconfig...
tmp/.config-package.in:102110:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:102110:  symbol PACKAGE_iptables-legacy is selected by PACKAGE_iptables-nft
tmp/.config-package.in:102917:  symbol PACKAGE_iptables-nft is selected by PACKAGE_opennds
tmp/.config-package.in:101140:  symbol PACKAGE_opennds depends on PACKAGE_iptables-legacy
For a resolution refer to Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.rst
subsection "Kconfig recursive dependency limitations"

thanks

Depends on your workflow.
You can use menuconfig to edit the current .config, but if you then replace it again with the .config.init recipe (like I do), you need to manually replicate the necessary minimal changes to .config.init

You only need main.patch etc. when you initially create the buildroot.

The recursive config errors are caused by the opennds package. Also seen by the buildbot. Not related to you.

1 Like

ok, so if I take my .config + ./scripts/diffconfig.sh > diffconfig + cp diffconfig .config.init

It is not ok to reproduce what I see at the end with your original scripts and .config,init?

That will work, now, but as it contains all dependencies, it may cause unnecessary packages to be included later if dependencies change.
I suggest that you prune it manually and only leave the top selections that you have actually made.

1 Like

And I see you 've put your selection in .config.init in categories ;

# Include package list in build
CONFIG_INCLUDE_CONFIG=y

# Longer waiting for failsafe button push
CONFIG_IMAGEOPT=y
CONFIG_PREINITOPT=y
CONFIG_TARGET_PREINIT_TIMEOUT=5

# Busybox tweaks
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CUSTOM=y
#CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_DIFF=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_SAVEHISTORY=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_SAVE_ON_EXIT=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_LESS_FLAGS=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_LESS_REGEXP=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_LESS_WINCH=y

### Build also ath10k mainline .ipk
### (disable this if you use the below section to fully switch to mainline)
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k=m

## # Mainline ath10k wifi firmware and driver instead of -ct
## CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca9984=y
## # CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca9984-ct is not set
## CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k=y
## # CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k-ct is not set

# Add-on programs
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ccrypt=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_curl=y
CONFIG_LIBCURL_OPENSSL=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_diffutils=y
CONFIG_DROPBEAR_ECC=y